Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options
    VAR doesnt get the decision right every time, hairline off side decisions are still up for debate...as are penalties....Human error occurs in that as well as it does on the playing field. Head examined.
  • Options
    VAR correctly reverses City’s last minute goal and sends Spurs into the semi final of the Champions League.
    Diminishes the experience of watching it live in the stadium, human error is part of referring which is good for the game 

I have to say it does not diminish my experience and I don't understand how is human error from the officials is good for the game. We are not talking Pantomimes here. Tell me that when atrocious decisions have cost us the game. How is that good?
    And with hundreds of millions of pounds involved at the top end of football, there is no place for human error on the part of the officials. I would imagine they are delighted to have this safety blanket in case they get it wrong, which obviously can happen.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    VAR must be used in every game, that is not right that there are selective games using it.

There will be plenty of times when decisions are still inconclusive, for that reason I think VAR should be removed.
  • Options
    Why arnt blatant corners/goal kick errors in games not over turned. How many goals are conceded from corners that should be goal kicks, plus free kicks that shouldnt be etc.
  • Options
    How can offside be up for debate?  You are ahead of the man, or not.
  • Options
    Why arnt blatant corners/goal kick errors in games not over turned. How many goals are conceded from corners that should be goal kicks, plus free kicks that shouldnt be etc.
    You've not read the rules regarding VAR, have you?
  • Options
    edited April 2019

It is being used for clear and obvious errors. How many times was it used last night? 2 or 3 times in 90 plus minutes? Hardly ruining the game now is it.
  • Options
    Yes but sometimes they don't have the ideal camera angle making it difficult to tell. 
  • Options
    Why did the offside decision take so long for VAR to make. 

Surely it's obvious he's offside from the relevant camera angle and the VAR official could have simply told the linesman to stick his flag up almost before the goal was scored.

It's the  whole bloody rigmarole that I hate. Just have an extra official watching it on TV and advising the ref. If he can't make up his mind within 15 seconds then it's not obvious so he shouldn't say anything and let the ref get on with it!
  • Options
    I have,  have you,  my point being there are bad decisions all over the pitch and as said on here many times,  every decision should be right.... The var fans only crow when the odd one is given right. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    Yes but sometimes they don't have the ideal camera angle making it difficult to tell. 
    I have,  have you,  my point being there are bad decisions all over the pitch and as said on here many times,  every decision should be right.... The var fans only crow when the odd one is given right. 
    It's a work in progress, clearly not perfect but we're heading in the right direction.

I was originally against VAR  but  The worldcup really changed my mind.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Llorente's goal looked like handball from the camera behind the goal but when the ref viewed it they did not show that angle. 
    No, it looked like a ball to hand AND hip. he couldn't be expected to move that hand surely and it didn't move towards the ball so it was at very worst ball to hand, if the hand wasn't there the deflection would still be a goal.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Lmao

So you're saying you don't like it because it's not correcting the injustice of human error.

Personally I think it's fantastic although a challenge system would be a benefit for one chance per game that the ref doesn't go to VAR
    But then what if a team loses their challenge and later loses the match with a goal that VAR would have ruled out? We are then back to square one where the officials are criticised for making a mistake. 
    I didn't say the Ref wouldn't still review other VAR decisions, just that the manager gets 1 opportunity per game to call for it themselves.

It's if the Ref chooses not to go to VAR on a decision in a match you have one opportunity per manager to request a VAR review.
  • Options
    well a body part you can play the ball with is ahead of the man or not!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Nothing is perfect. But some things are comfortably better than other things that do the same thing or can help enhance someone's ability to do something.

VAR is a tool, not a solution. 
  • Options
    VAR must be used in every game, that is not right that there are selective games using it.

There will be plenty of times when decisions are still inconclusive, for that reason I think VAR should be removed.
    It's not possible to use VAR at every game.
    How could they possibly have VAR at the non league games you watch ?
    If the evidence is inconclusive, then the original decision stands.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Talal said:
    Nothing is perfect. But some things are comfortably better than other things that do the same thing or can help enhance someone's ability to do something.

VAR is a tool, not a solution. 
    I wasn't criticising VAR it was a response to whether an offside decision is always black and white. 
  • Options

It's not possible to use VAR at every game.
    How could they possibly have VAR at the non league games you watch ?
    If the evidence is inconclusive, then the original decision stands.
    Everyone in the crowd has a mobile phone camera!
  • Options
    I am totally fine with the goal line technology and also VAR being used for off-sides for all goals scored - as that is an easy way to solve a problem with human eyesight versus technological advancement.

However the problem with VAR is that essentially we have the official in the stand choosing to interject himself into the action at any given opportunity, when they first launched it in the A League here in Australia, a couple of years ago it was an absolute farce.

The problem with VAR is that people see the game in different ways, and Llorente's goal the other night is a perfect example of that, for some it was handball and no goal, for others (like me) it was a fair goal.

The overarching problem of course, is that we are looking for perfection in an imperfect game - football has always been full of injustice and bad decisions, but the unwritten rule is that just like life itself some days are good, and some days are bad.

I am not sure that VAR can solve that, in fact in some ways it makes things worse!
  • Options
    In terms of VAR being used in every game - does Village cricket have video replays? I think VAR can be improved in the way it is implemented but this will happen over time. But you are more likely to see correct decisions in big games now which is a good thing.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is VAR going to be used in the PO's?
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    No. EFL decided against it
  • Options
    I'm fairly sure that goal line technology WILL be used though.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    PopIcon said:
    I'm fairly sure that goal line technology WILL be used though.
    It's been used throughout, cameras were installed at the Valley and then taken back out, and Wembley already has it's own system. 

https://twitter.com/skyfootball/status/1126929101707722753

Would be installed at the Valley if we go up 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    https://sports.yahoo.com/team-forfeits-caf-champions-league-003448445.html

African Champions League final abandoned. The away side (Wydad Casablanca - yes, the final is not played on a neutral ground) got a goal (wrongfully) disallowed for offside. They left the pitch, as ref didn't want to check VAR. The home team (Esperance de Tunis) was awarded the trophy after more than an hour of no football. 
    The reason why he didn't check? The crap didn't work.
    Wonder what he would've done, if this happened the other way around (Tunisian team got a goal disallowed). He wouldn't have left the ground alive, I fear. 
  • Options
    African football is dodgy as fuck.

"The 1-1 first-leg draw in Morocco was also marred with controversy, as Egyptian referee Gehad Grisha was suspended for six months after a pair of incorrect decisions were made despite having consulted VAR"

"
    The man in charge of VAR for the 2nd leg was Janny Sikazwe. The same referee who was suspended for alleged corruption when Espérance de Tunis knocked out Primeiro de Agosto in last years semi final". 

How 
    can you appoint a guy who was just suspended for alleged corruption to handle VAR? In a game involving the same team?! Head in hands moment.
  • Options

The saga continues.........

Esperance have been ordered to return the African Champions League trophy and to replay the second leg of the final.

The Tunisian side led 1-0 in Friday's second leg but Moroccan opponents Wydad Casablanca left the pitch after an equaliser they scored was disallowed.

Wydad wanted the video assistant referee to check if the goal should stand but the system was not working.

The Confederation of African Football (Caf) said the second leg will be replayed at a neutral venue.

The 1-1 draw from the first leg in Morocco stands.

The replay will be after the Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt, which ends on 19 July.

A Caf statement said "conditions of game and safety were not met" in the second leg and made clear Esperance players must return their winners' medals as well as the trophy.

Play in the second leg was halted after Wydad thought they had equalised on 59 minutes through Walid El Karti's header. It was disallowed for an infringement. The VAR system was visible on the side of the pitch but the players had not been told it was not in use because of a malfunction.

The referee eventually awarded the victory to three-time champions Esperance after a 95-minute delay.

Wydad's president said the club was "the victim of a scandal" and Caf subsequently called an Executive Committee meeting where the decision to replay the game was made.

• Options
    Well it may have been correct by cms tonight for England offside but boy it ruins the moment. Imagine if we'd all wildly celebrated that Bauer goal then VAR check decided no goal because of a foul by Pearce? Welcome to the football future. 
    What if Sunderland had scored an offside goal in the 90th Minute? You telling me you wouldn't have been absolutely furious. 

Then consider the above but VAR correctly rules it out and keeps Charlton in the game.