Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options
    Watching Cardiff and Chelsea makes me wonder why VAR needs to be so complicated with long stoppages and pointless existential debates about what "deliberate" actually means.

Why not just have somebody watching on TV and assisting the ref in the same way the linesman already does. No one need ever know it's happening! 

• Options
    Because for every clear cut howler like today’s there are two or three very marginal decisions that require many replays. Football is such a fast game that if they didn’t stop play it wouldn’t be long before something else game changing occurred such as a goal at the other end and then the unfairnesses become complicated.
  • Options
    Isn't VAR only suppossed to be about clear incorrect decisions, therefore marginal decisions should not be changed.  Personally i would like to see referees given a time limit in which to make a decision, day 60 seconds, if they cannot decide in that time then tue decision stands.
  • Options
    Watching Cardiff and Chelsea makes me wonder why VAR needs to be so complicated with long stoppages and pointless existential debates about what "deliberate" actually means.

Why not just have somebody watching on TV and assisting the ref in the same way the linesman already does. No one need ever know it's happening! 

How do you know it isn't?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

How do you know it isn't?
    Well it certainly wasn't yesterday!
  • Options
    VAR correctly reverses City’s last minute goal and sends Spurs into the semi final of the Champions League.
  • Options
    VAR correctly reverses City’s last minute goal and sends Spurs into the semi final of the Champions League.
    Good
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Anyone want to argue the merits of VAR after that needs their head examined.
  • Options
    Football is alive and well 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Diminishes the experience of watching it live in the stadium, human error is part of referring which is good for the game 
    Wrong. Every review was spot on. And I wanted City to win.
  • Options
    It will kill goal celebrations because players and managers won’t know if their goal is legit when they’ve scored which is a shame .

You can’t deny it adds to the drama but I still don’t like it . 
    No it won’t. If it gets ruled a goal you can celebrate again. 
  • Options
    Didnt stop Sterling celebrating tonight...
  • Options
    It will kill goal celebrations because players and managers won’t know if their goal is legit when they’ve scored which is a shame .

Yeah that’s exactly what just happened in Manchester... oh wait
  • Options
    Diminishes the experience of watching it live in the stadium, human error is part of referring which is good for the game 
    And guess what? We are still talking about it after the game has finished. And those that were there will talk about for years because the right decisions were made. Instead of slaughtering the officials they were brilliant.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Yeah that’s exactly what just happened in Manchester... oh wait
    Exactly my point .
    It’s early days with VAR . I can’t see managers going ape shit like Pep did tonight for too much longer . It’s a little embarrassing when it’s overturned . If that spreads to the fans as well then it’s a terrible thing . Thankfully it’s not likely  to affect Charlton games for the forceable future .  
  • Options
    This time 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Lmao

So you're saying you don't like it because it's correcting the injustice of human error.

Personally I think it's fantastic although a ,ychallenge system would be a benefit for one chance per game that the ref doesn't go to VAR
  • Options
    TBF to the Ref he wanted to be sure with Llorente goal. No way could he disallow that because it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake. Aguero was just offside so yet again VAR is a great addition because it will get 99% of the big decisions right opposed to 75% when left to referees and assistance.

VAR can't be wrong ?
    Only humans error when they viewed the wrong clip in some game earlier in the season. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Lmao

So you're saying you don't like it because it's not correcting the injustice of human error.

Personally I think it's fantastic although a ,ychallenge system would be a benefit for one chance per game that the ref doesn't go to VAR
    But then what if a team loses their challenge and later loses the match with a goal that VAR would have ruled out? We are then back to square one where the officials are criticised for making a mistake. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    This time 
    Surely it's no different to when a forward looks down the line to see if the lino waved offside?

They still celebrate then their mood is changed by the decision. Now they'll think "oh bollocks I've not scored." Then be awarded or stripped of the goal. Cue celebrations or surrounding the ref.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    Lmao

So you're saying you don't like it because it's not correcting the injustice of human error.

Who’s said “ I don’t like it because it’s not correcting the injustice of human error  ?  LMAO 
  • Options
    Llorentes goal looked handball to me .
    im sure if we lose in the last minute of the play off final with our opposition scoring one like that and there is no VAR ( i don’t know if there is or not at the play off final ) and everyone here saying right decisions by VAR would agree with it or would they be saying oh VAR would have spotted that and we may have gone up.

in all seriousness I could see why it wasn’t given as a goal and if it was disallowed I could understand that as well , subjective I suppose 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    This time 
    Surely it's no different to when a forward looks down the line to see if the link waved offside? They still celebrate then their mood is changed by the decision. Now they'll think "oh bollocks I've not scored." Then be awarded or stripped of the goal. Cue celebrations or surrounding the ref.
    No because that’s pretty much instantaneous. The time it takes to go VAR kills that . 
  • Options
    Llorente's goal looked like handball from the camera behind the goal but when the ref viewed it they did not show that angle. 
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    Anyone want to argue the merits of VAR after that needs their head examined.
    They can always VAR the decision after
  • Options
    It's indisputable that getting the correct decision is good for football, however, I think it's also pretty obvious VAR needs a lot of work to speed up the process.