Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football died a little bit yesterday (VAR)

Comments

• Options

Serious question.
    Would VAR have ruled out Peterborough's penalty the other night or allowed our goal to stand on Saturday ?

Penalty decisions are reviewed so yes.

Disallowed goal on Saturday... the referee’s whistle was blown before the ball hit the net so I’m unsure where it falls on the reviewable/non-reviewable scale. Referees that have VAR available to them will avoid blowing the whistle in that sort of situation...

If the ref has not blown up then yes it would definitely have been reviewable.
    Seems in VAR games, refs won't whistle, and linesman hold back on flagging, and let VAR tidy it up.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Serious question.
    Would VAR have ruled out Peterborough's penalty the other night or allowed our goal to stand on Saturday ?

Penalty decisions are reviewed so yes.

Disallowed goal on Saturday... the referee’s whistle was blown before the ball hit the net so I’m unsure where it falls on the reviewable/non-reviewable scale. Referees that have VAR available to them will avoid blowing the whistle in that sort of situation...

If the ref has not blown up then yes it would definitely have been reviewable.
    I thought an Offside could be brought back even after the whistle has been blown?
    Brought back but not continued while everyone else is standing round watching!

Exactly - one of those where it works one way but not the other. If the ref stops the game then you blast it into the net while the defender is stood around picking his nose, it’s hard to argue that it’s a fair goal... that’s why I’m unsure where the line is and whether Karlan’s ‘goal’ would have stood at the weekend.
  • Options
    In a way I'm surprised that the Highlights on the Sky Sports website stop after the Joe Aribo miss seeing that we had a goal ruled out after (Really want to see that back again) and also Fleetwood missed their 4v1 chance

There again its lower league and sky so am not surprised
  • Options

In a way I'm surprised that the Highlights on the Sky Sports website stop after the Joe Aribo miss seeing that we had a goal ruled out after (Really want to see that back again) and also Fleetwood missed their 4v1 chance

There again its lower league and sky so am not surprised

For the Peterborough game they only showed the penalty and nothing else.

Sky Sports seem to be bad for the Premier League highlights too. It is always 2 or 3 minutes long whether or not the game finished 0-0 or 4-4.
  • Options
    Nice example of VAR in action on bbc site http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46041706

Don't really want to see penalties given for things like this but I guess it has to be these days. The ball brushes the defenders hand but doesn't seem to be deflected or affected in any way.
  • Options

Nice example of VAR in action on bbc site http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46041706

Don't really want to see penalties given for things like this but I guess it has to be these days. The ball brushes the defenders hand but doesn't seem to be deflected or affected in any way.

Looks to me like it quite clearly deflects the ball upwards. Even if it was for balance, his arm was out. I'd want a pen if it was us and while I'd be pissed if it was given against us, I would accept why.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/aVb0GbpcP2w

Check out at 01.03. Never a red card.

Earlier in the game, a clear penalty for Phoenix (not shown in the Youtube clip). Commentators agreed. VAR cleared it.
    Shambles.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can we see the replay of them deciding this?
  • Options
    Great news at least charlton now wont be the last result to come up now on Saturday afternoon. Can't wait for the first one given against the big boys and all those players drawing squares in front of the ref.
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Earlier in the game, a clear penalty for Phoenix (not shown in the Youtube clip). Commentators agreed. VAR cleared it.
    Shambles.

Poor reffing. Ref gets final call, it was a dodgy challenge as it was two footed and without control, more tardy than dangerous though.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Danepak said:

Shambles.

Poor reffing. Ref gets final call, it was a dodgy challenge as it was two footed and without control, more tardy than dangerous though.
    He clearly wins the ball and the nearest player isn't even an opponent.
    Sheer madness to award him a straight red.
    Why was VAR even asking the ref to review the situation?

And as mentioned, earlier in the game, a Phoenix player was dragged down in the penalty area (he was in possession of the ball too).
    VAR was checking it, but cleared it. Commentators said it was a penalty. Makes absolutely no sense. What's the point, if the VAR hasn't got a clue.

I get it that it was used with a fair amount of success during the World Cup.
    I'm still not a fan though. I hate that feeling, when your team scores and then you have to wait for a minute or two for it to clear.
    Just not football anymore. You win some and you lose some.
  • Options
    Definitely died, when Adrian Durham said on talksport yesterday that he saw someone on the Holloway Road after the North London derby with a half and half scarf on
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Definitely died, when Adrian Durham said on talksport yesterday that he saw someone on the Holloway Road after the North London derby with a half and half scarf on

I saw the same thing at the Charlton v Palace women's match at Crayford the Sunday before last.
    A chap with the same hair colouring as Adrian Durham and who was obviously a journalist as he was on his laptop during the game, had a Palace/Charlton half and half scarf on.
    It wasn't Richard Cawley.

There should be a law against this type of thing.
  • Options
    Even though I'm a great fan of any sort of technology which gets the correct decision, and feel football is at least a decade behind on this.
    Human weakness is still the problem with some VAR decisions.
    On Sunday Toulouse conceded an offside goal, the problem was the ref asked the VAR official to check the cross which was onside, but the ball grazed one striker and was put in the net by a player who was a whole yard offside.
    VAR will improve the wrong decisions but I doubt we will ever get to 100% because of the human element.
  • Options
    I am all for VAR, still cant guarantee every decision is correct, but its better to get nearer to perfect as you can. Dodgy decisions/ goals have a massive factor in all leagues and the knock on affect is massive eg. relegation/ financially
  • Options

I am all for VAR, still cant guarantee every decision is correct, but its better to get nearer to perfect as you can. Dodgy decisions/ goals have a massive factor in all leagues and the knock on affect is massive eg. relegation/ financially

Correct - they do have a massive factor in ALL leagues. That’s why just putting it in at the top league level only doesn’t sit well with me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Correct - they do have a massive factor in ALL leagues. That’s why just putting it in at the top league level only doesn’t sit well with me.
    In a nutshell, that is what the powers that be think of any club outside the top divisions.
  • Options
    In an ideal world any new laws etc would be implemented at all levels of the game, but its just not possible.

Goal line technology for example
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    My local park doesn’t have nets to put up on the goalposts so I think that they should do away with nets at all levels of the game.

If the ref misses a goal in the cup final because there was no net to catch the ball in, at least we’ll know that it’s the same game as they play it in the park.

Don’t let resources at one lower restrict progress at the top level. As long as the technology is consistent within the competition then I am personally happy. I would not be happy if for example VAR was used at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge but nowhere else.
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Dazzler21 said:

Danepak said:

Shambles.

And as mentioned, earlier in the game, a Phoenix player was dragged down in the penalty area (he was in possession of the ball too).
    VAR was checking it, but cleared it. Commentators said it was a penalty. Makes absolutely no sense. What's the point, if the VAR hasn't got a clue.

I'm still not a fan though. I hate that feeling, when your team scores and then you have to wait for a minute or two for it to clear.
    I mean the initial tackle he won the ball, but was not in control when he brought his second foot into the challenge wrecklessly as he connected with the opposing player... A yellow would be the minimum for me as it was wreckless.

I can understand the red having watched it at 1/2 speed.
  • Options

My local park doesn’t have nets to put up on the goalposts so I think that they should do away with nets at all levels of the game.

If the ref misses a goal in the cup final because there was no net to catch the ball in, at least we’ll know that it’s the same game as they play it in the park.

Don’t let resources at one lower restrict progress at the top level. As long as the technology is consistent within the competition then I am personally happy. I would not be happy if for example VAR was used at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge but nowhere else.

Do away with the goal posts too and use your sweatshirt... Bizarre post.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    It’s all this new tangled technology like nets around the goalposts that are ruining the game. I loved arguing with my mates in the pub after the game about whether the ball went through the posts or not.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Danepak said:

Dazzler21 said:

Danepak said:

Shambles.

I mean the initial tackle he won the ball, but was not in control when he brought his second foot into the challenge wrecklessly as he connected with the opposing player... A yellow would be the minimum for me as it was wreckless.

I can understand the red having watched it at 1/2 speed.
    The problem is that if that red card is the correct decision here, then it would also be "correct" to send off 6 players or more every game.

What seems to happen is that incidents are picked by the VAR at random and the referee is then obliged by the law to give a red card because you can find a tiny element of danger in almost any challenge if you look at it over and over again.

I would prefer a system where the VAR has to personally make a decision within 30 seconds. If there is any doubt, there should not be a penalty or a free kick. And if it takes longer than 30 seconds to decide there is doubt by definition!
  • Options
    Got to say. Watching the game last night, the VAR did it's job. Not sure what Sarri can be upset with (apart from how toothless Chelsea are in the final third), and can't see why Poch is upset to have won in that manner.

Personally feel it's a lot better to have the VAR make the call and advise the referee, as opposed to having the ref running over to a screen on the side of the pitch. Means decisions happen a lot quicker.

Two improvements would be to have the VAR in the stadium rather than off-site, and have the ref and the VAR mic'd up so that we a clear idea of what they are discussing.
  • Options

DA9 said:

I saw the same thing at the Charlton v Palace women's match at Crayford the Sunday before last.
    A chap with the same hair colouring as Adrian Durham and who was obviously a journalist as he was on his laptop during the game, had a Palace/Charlton half and half scarf on.
    It wasn't Richard Cawley.

There should be a law against this type of thing.
    It wasn't @LouisMend either, he wouldn't have had a Charlton half on his scarf.
  • Options
    Anyone see the Fulham penalty vs Oldham? They VAR'ed and the epnalty award stood. It was a comical dive. So it seems that there is still room for human error (AKA refs closing ranks on a dodgy decision)