Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Close Encounter with Meire (QandA Royal Greenwich Suite)

Comments

• Options

SDAddick said:

Stig said:

Meire: Incompetent at her job, incompetent at answering a simple question. "Well, that's your opinion"; what a childish manner in which to answer. I'm surprised she didn't follow it up with 'Ner nicky ner ner' sticking out her tongue and waggling her hands behind her ears. Not only is she still clueless as to how football clubs run (despite three years of wrecking one), but she is incapable of coming up with an adult answer to a simple question. It beggars belief that she is still here.

We've seen/heard her say this and things very similar before. It's come across as somewhat smug and arrogant, but I think some of it is also down to a limitation of linguistic capabilities--that's not a dig, for all of the things you can level at her, she is fluent in three languages and some days I struggle with one (still can't spell bureaucracy on my own), it's just an observation (spelled that wrong on the first attempt, too).

@Airman Brown to your point earlier about someone needing to always ask her why she's still her, what is the end goal of that? This is not a dig, it's a genuine question. I kind of feel like we're at an impasse, and while it's pretty clear the club is for sale, I don't really know what we get out of these smaller exchanges. This is likely down to my lack of imagination.
    She is surrounded by sycophants who largely but not exclusively owe their position to her. These people offer no challenge to her preferred view of the world and when someone does they are ostracised by Meire.

This isn't a unique situation by any means but given that this group exercises a level of control over the football club it is a key factor in causing it to fail. I think the more we can do to challenge that internal narrative the better.
    Surrounded by sycophants combined with no accountability is a surefire way to fail.

The key to success is to be confident and surround yourself with those who are at least as good, preferably better than you. She is too scared to take such an approach.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Uboat said:

stonemuse said:

Uboat said:

stonemuse said:

Uboat said:

She might have deflected the questions easily enough, but can you imagine the humiliation? If someone told me, in public, that I had failed in my job, and the best I had was 'That's your opinion' I would probably go home, stare into a fire for a bit then go for a long walk with a bottle of scotch and a revolver.

We are only Domme Mensen, so we mean nothing to her.
    I doubt it though. Surely even she's not so deluded that she can't see the evidence of her failure.
    Her arrogance and self-belief has no limit ...plus Uncle Roly will never sack her so she is not accountable to anyone.

No one criticises her internally leading her to believe she is just a victim of circumstance.
    But she must lie awake in bed and wonder about the amazing coincidence of Charlton completely going to shit since she turned up.
    She has no trouble sleeping, she's from the same school as 90% of politicians. Success is measured in £££ in the bank and profile, nothing else matters. And to make sure it stays that way, they surround themselves with sycophants and people who are exactly like they are.
    I suspect while she may realise a few things have not worked, by and large she thinks any errors have been outside her control (ie Roland and the fans) and the main issue is that Charlton fans are old people stuck in their ways who do embrace the realities of the modern world and share her dynamic ways of reinvigorating a stale club. She probably also sees herself as a female leader and someone who has stood up to vile abuse and absurdly biased media coverage with courage and skill. In short, she's a female Donald Trump.
    I'm sure you are right, which is a big part of the problem.
  • Options

If I was in a well paid job, why would I resign even if lots of people thought I was useless at it?

None of us would resign in such circumstances unless we'd found something better. IF the club gets taken over, then she'll be removed by the new owners with a nice payoff, or found another job within Roland's empire; either way from her point of view it make sense to stay put, especially as it's clear that RD isn't unhappy with her.

She doesn't appear to be employed by the football club, in which case it's hard to see why she'd be paid off by new owners.
    In which case she'll presumably continue to be employed by one of Roland's other companies, unless RD makes her redundant

Either way, there's no incentive for her to jump now
    I would enthusiastically urge Roland to employ her in one of his other businesses. Any one. She'd be perfect for it, whatever it is. It's time she was promoted in recognition of all she has done for us.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

She wont leave if RD thinks shes doing a good job and shes on a huge wage, that shes unlikely to get elsewhere quickly if she did lose her job. Its pretty simple really.

Agree. I've said this before, we think she's useless, but we don't know what Roland has asked her to do. If she's meeting his objectives, no matter how ridiculous they seem to us, then she's a success.

What we don't know are the objectives she's been set.
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

She wont leave if RD thinks shes doing a good job and shes on a huge wage, that shes unlikely to get elsewhere quickly if she did lose her job. Its pretty simple really.

Agree. I've said this before, we think she's useless, but we don't know what Roland has asked her to do. If she's meeting his objectives, no matter how ridiculous they seem to us, then she's a success.

What could they be though?
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

To take Charlton AFC where it's never been before.
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

I have no idea. I'm just throwing out the only logical reason she's still here. Whatever they are, they obviously can't be that challenging. Maybe it's just make sure nobody from the media ever ask me a question. Even if results on the pitch were not high on her priorities, it's not like the training ground and player farm are really roaring along.
  • Options
    A few good rumours about who her replacement might be would probably get her motivated to start looking for a new job. Anybody know any?
  • Options
    limeygent said:

A few good rumours about who her replacement might be would probably get her motivated to start looking for a new job. Anybody know any?

I think Bob the Minion would do a far better job than her ... and be much more of a laugh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

limeygent said:

Some bloke at Ebbsfleet. Name escapes me.
    BDL ?

• Options

limeygent said:

Some bloke at Ebbsfleet. Name escapes me.
    That's the one.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

SDAddick said:

Stig said:

Meire: Incompetent at her job, incompetent at answering a simple question. "Well, that's your opinion"; what a childish manner in which to answer. I'm surprised she didn't follow it up with 'Ner nicky ner ner' sticking out her tongue and waggling her hands behind her ears. Not only is she still clueless as to how football clubs run (despite three years of wrecking one), but she is incapable of coming up with an adult answer to a simple question. It beggars belief that she is still here.

We've seen/heard her say this and things very similar before. It's come across as somewhat smug and arrogant, but I think some of it is also down to a limitation of linguistic capabilities--that's not a dig, for all of the things you can level at her, she is fluent in three languages and some days I struggle with one (still can't spell bureaucracy on my own), it's just an observation (spelled that wrong on the first attempt, too).

@Airman Brown to your point earlier about someone needing to always ask her why she's still her, what is the end goal of that? This is not a dig, it's a genuine question. I kind of feel like we're at an impasse, and while it's pretty clear the club is for sale, I don't really know what we get out of these smaller exchanges. This is likely down to my lack of imagination.
    She is surrounded by sycophants who largely but not exclusively owe their position to her. These people offer no challenge to her preferred view of the world and when someone does they are ostracised by Meire.

This isn't a unique situation by any means but given that this group exercises a level of control over the football club it is a key factor in causing it to fail. I think the more we can do to challenge that internal narrative the better.
    Surrounded by sycophants combined with no accountability is a surefire way to fail.

The key to success is to be confident and surround yourself with those who are at least as good, preferably better than you. She is too scared to take such an approach.
    Sounds like David Brent's quoted motto

• Options
    It is not necessary to apply pressure. Just keep stating the facts to KM. everything she has been involved in is a failure.
    Just look in the mirror KM - ask yourself do you think it is a success to reduce a great club ( business) to a shambles.
    Apart from Gerald Ratner no one has even alienated their fan ( customer) base totally.
    She is there for the money, she is of no positive value to the club.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

She gave a much better answer at the VG Q&A, accepting her responsibility and saying she was still here because she wanted to put it right. What was missing though was any attempt at creating a narrative over what she was actually going to do different.

For example she talked of "British manager, British players", accepting it hadn't worked out, but nothing at all on what will be different in the summer. "around a million' to be made available for players, but complained that part of the reason for this season's failures was that they were overquoted for the players they wanted. A euphemism for not being willing to pay the asking price in a seller's market.

Really, apart from the accepting responsibility bit it really was the same old naive comments from her. They've done great things inside the club apparently. Who cares when the fans are frequently insulted and she's leaving fans young and old without hope - something eloquently, politely but firmly pointed out by a couple of gentlemen.

I came out with no greater confidence that they have a clue what to do than before.

I get the impression this is one of the keys to their failures - they can't even effectively implement their own (flawed) strategy, the world doesn't work how they want it to. Also suspect the club has such bad relationships in English football we get the rough end of the stick in many deals too.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

If I was in a well paid job, why would I resign even if lots of people thought I was useless at it?

None of us would resign in such circumstances unless we'd found something better. IF the club gets taken over, then she'll be removed by the new owners with a nice payoff, or found another job within Roland's empire; either way from her point of view it make sense to stay put, especially as it's clear that RD isn't unhappy with her.

She doesn't appear to be employed by the football club, in which case it's hard to see why she'd be paid off by new owners.
    In which case she'll presumably continue to be employed by one of Roland's other companies, unless RD makes her redundant

Either way, there's no incentive for her to jump now
    I would enthusiastically urge Roland to employ her in one of his other businesses. Any one. She'd be perfect for it, whatever it is. It's time she was promoted in recognition of all she has done for us.
    In a way that sounds appealing, but ultimately it's Duchatelet that's the real problem. He's the one who calls the shots on the big decisions; he's the one who's ignoring a failing business. I can't imagine things being much different under any other CEO. If we did get a replacement, it's likely to be another network lackey and if by chance we did get someone any good, they'd soon be out on their ear.

Daisy is arrogant, incompetent and more interested in her own media caricature than in the success of the club. But at least no-one is suckered in that she'll ever be anything any different. At the start of this season, there were people absolutely convinced that Slade's appointment demonstrated that the regime had changed its ways and that everything would would be ok from then on. How daft that argument looks now, but I can see people being fooled again with a new CEO at the helm. I think on balance I'd rather have Meire here as a figurehead of hate for everyone to focus on.

Of course, a real problem is that no-one outside of the undynamic duo seems to understand what the relationship is between Roly and Katy. Is it true that he is a close friend of her father? And from that, is it true that the club is essentially a gift to her? If it is, allowing her to publicly drown in her own incompetence seems to be quite a cruel trick, especially from someone who's supposed to be a friend. Or is it just the case that he was impressed with her conveyancing work at St Truiden and thought she could cut the mustard in a wider reaching role. It sounds pretty far fetched, but that is essentially what Roly has said.

If the club is his gift to her, then pressuring her into resignation might be our best chance of forcing him to sell. If he genuinely does (or at least, did) see her as a bright young thing, then presumably when the scales drop he'd just jet in another wide eyed Leuven graduate. Either way, I don't see that Roly moving her elsewhere would amount to anything more than a proverbial change of deck chairs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not just clubs. Why do decent players want to come into a demoralised shambles.
    KM and RD you do not like it, there is only one solution- you both must go.
  • Options

Spot on. Players will go where they can get work, so we will always be able to get them. But we will always lose out when they have a choice between us and a properly run club. With Gobby Karl as manager and the club's reputation in tatters, we are unlikely to be able to attract anyone half decent this summer. Even the better League 1 players will look for a club with a real chance of promotion.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Spot on. Players will go where they can get work, so we will always be able to get them. But we will always lose out when they have a choice between us and a properly run club. With Gobby Karl as manager and the club's reputation in tatters, we are unlikely to be able to attract anyone half decent this summer. Even the better League 1 players will look for a club with a real chance of promotion.
    This is why we have to pay more. Players will always be tempted by more money.

I also fear that the inflated prices are a consequence of us overpaying in he recent past. Before we got Slade in I don't think there was anyone at the club that had any idea of the value of players so Agents were able to 'convince' KM to pay over the odds. Now that we have a reputation of paying what ever we are told (and having a very, very, rich owner) clubs just see pound signs when Katrien comes calling.

To some degree the club has to go through a period of refusing to pay the silly money and not getting our targets so that clubs will be realistic with us. Sadly that means missing out on more players

Alternatively we just get new owners that will not be treated as being so stupid based on, well, being so stupid!
  • Options

mogodon said:

I also fear that the inflated prices are a consequence of us overpaying in he recent past. Before we got Slade in I don't think there was anyone at the club that had any idea of the value of players so Agents were able to 'convince' KM to pay over the odds. Now that we have a reputation of paying what ever we are told (and having a very, very, rich owner) clubs just see pound signs when Katrien comes calling.

To some degree the club has to go through a period of refusing to pay the silly money and not getting our targets so that clubs will be realistic with us. Sadly that means missing out on more players

Alternatively we just get new owners that will not be treated as being so stupid based on, well, being so stupid!
    Agree ...thing is, agents know that in Meire they are dealing with someone fairly clueless about how football transfers work and the value of players/contracts, so naturally they will look to do deals that work in their favour. Were she sensible she would take advice from experienced people and not 20-something spotty kids with a laptop and an ego to match. As long as she remains then we will pay over the top for the flotsam and jetsam of the lower leagues.
  • Options
    mogodon said:

mogodon said:

Agree ...thing is, agents know that in Meire they are dealing with someone fairly clueless about how football transfers work and the value of players/contracts, so naturally they will look to do deals that work in their favour. Were she sensible she would take advice from experienced people and not 20-something spotty kids with a laptop and an ego to match. As long as she remains then we will pay over the top for the flotsam and jetsam of the lower leagues.
    Indeed. I come across this often where people are willing to pay more based on the appreciation in value. This is never easy to calculate but if KM has been trusting a chap with a laptop who was claiming that a nobody was going to be the next Premier League star then she was, probably, getting a bargain - especially with tying them up to long term contracts that would be cheap for a top Premier League player. Sadly the value was never realised as none of the players have turned out to be as good as 'someone' thought they would be.

Oh and KM is incompetent.*

*Clearly this is just my own personal view - I suspect it is not shared by anyone else...much!
  • Options
    I wondered what would happen when Meire found herself in a hostile fans meeting, rather than with the likes of East Kent Addicks or ITVF. So she responds to Coyote John's criticism by saying, "That is your opinion..." thus isolating him as if he is just one guy, as opposed to John airing what many thousands of us fans feel is the true CEO/managerial situation.
    Whatever you think of her she must have the skin of a rhino and is actually quite brave to place herself in what I think is a defenceless situation. Maybe she thinks that if she says, "I am doing a good job" enough times people will actually believe her! No matter what she says I bet she must absolutely hate the job by now. I hope for her healths sake that she is out of this job sooner rather than later and that we are finally taken over by a competent group.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    That is just frightening. If they don't sell it will get worse and worse for us.
  • Options
    just read it - very disappointing the whole lot of this fucking mess need to go, meire, roland, robinson, half of these lazy players, the parkes clan.