Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lowest point ever?

124»

Comments

• LenGlover said:

Statistically almost certainly will prove to be the worst season since 1926 even if we manage to stay up so in that narrow sense yes close to worse ever.

71-72, 73-74, 79-80, 2008-09, 2010-11 all poor seasons in terms of the spectacle (or lack thereof) on the pitch just as this year. The difference from now is that in those earlier years there was a rational reason or an obvious period of transition to explain it allowing hope for the future.

When we left The Valley to go to Selhurst the intention to try and get back came into the public domain relatively quickly which allowed the hope that the nightmare was only temporary. I wasn't alive in the twenties but I suspect the move to The Mount in Catford engendered similar feelings given that The Valley remained available.

The difference now, from my individual perspective anyway, is that I see little hope for the future. If Duchatelet stays then the inevitable downward spiral through the divisions and out of the league continues.

If he leaves and Red Bull are the purchasers then we will almost certainly leave The Valley for the Peninsular. For me The Valley IS Charlton so given the two scenarios I've mentioned yes it is the lowest point in my opinion since 1963 when I started supporting the Club.

Really interesting post. But have heart, because the three seasons I have highlighted were all disastrous, but followed immediately by incredibly exciting, memorable, Charlton-defining promotion seasons. Who, of those there, could forget the '75 season, and the promotion-clinching, come-back win against Preston? No-one who witnessed the 80-81 season will forget the excitment of an attacking Charlton side sweeping (almost) all before them. And Chris Powell's first full season won't be forgotten by anyone, anywhere.

It's darkest before the dawn. And, while it's fucking dark right now, history tells us that next season - if we have new owners - could be absolutely magnificent.
  • The lowest point I could ever imagine would be us dropping to L2 and the same day RD announcing he is not selling.
  • I don't want charlton relegated that would be an incredible sink that I don't think we would come back from for a long long time. It can't happen. It would be rather close to the end...for a while.

I think potentially, quite possibly the darkest day within the clubs history.

I do however think, unless we put a very good straight line winning positive run together in our few remaining games.

I do think we actually deserve relegation.

We are joint 3rd bottom in fewest amount of league wins with just 10. Pathetic. No guts.

Plenty of score draws will be the thing that in the end hopefully keeps us up.

We can't win games in league f*kn one.

Appalling. Piss poor.

A deserted uncared for club.
  • "A deserted and uncared for club." Bloody hell, best summing up out of ALL the posts. I came away Tuesday night feeling possibly the lowest I have felt for years. Angry, frustrated and virtually without any hope. My club - OUR club, is dying and despite the magnificent efforts of CARD, the egomaniac who wields the power and his acolytes - and there is more than one of those - are pulling us down into oblivion. Don't think I can muster up the will power to go again this season; Reasonably sure we won't go down but it's come down to the brutal fact - do I really care what happens? All the while the people who are murdering our club fiddle while Charlton burns and apparently couldn't give a toss!
  • For me, the lowest point in our history was sitting in my car in Harvey Gardens awaiting our fate in the courts in London.

I was really depressed. There was a bunch of us that drove to most away games and attended all home games. We had serious talks about who we would follow when we were out of business.

The huge difference is that I really cared about my club back then. Roland has destroyed the connection I had with Charlton and I know it will never return all the time he owns us.

I am sure my passion will return as soon as we get an owner who is fit to run a football club.

Apart from glory hunters, no fan EXPECTS success but it is vital to retain the dream of competing with the best at some point. I am lucky having always thought the dream of top flight football at The Valley in my lifetime was to always remain a dream.

I will forever be grateful to those who helped make my dream come true. some of the key players such as Alwen, Murray, Curbishley, Everitt and many more.

Things were hard back then but once fryer was off the scene everyone seemed to have the best interests of the club at heart, even if ideas were sometimes different.

Now the club has gone to shit and the disconnect I now feel makes me sad but not as low as 1984 because my passion has gone.

How anyone with an ounce of interest in football can accept our current situation beggars belief.