Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Taking my son to Old Trafford tonight....

Surprise for his 16th birthday. I managed to keep him a Charlton fan until he was 10....

Now he'll be fawning over Ibrahimovic. Maybe Ademola will get a run out.

God I might end up so depressed about the state of Charlton that I'll top myself....

Comments

• Options
    I did. Which is why he's never been in six years. But it's his birthday, he's turning sixteen and after six years of ignoring it, I thought I would treat him :-)
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I did. Which is why he's never been in six years. But it's his birthday, he's turning sixteen and after six years of ignoring it, I thought I would treat him :-)

Take him on a tour of the Cricket Ground...?
  • Options
    Bit of both! My youngest is still Charlton.... Just!
  • Options
    CatAddick said:

I asked mine on his sixteenth birthday last week if he still wanted to come to the Valley next season and he said yes.

Does that make me a better or worse father than @supaclive ?

Better... Provided you only asked him if he still wanted to come to the Valley next season.

If you didnt add that you'll actually take him, then your in the clear... If you said you'd take him then your quite simply a terrible parent
  • Options

Why didnt you just counter him wanting to go to Old Trafford (thus becoming a Man Utd fan) by saying that if he wants to go support them then he has to find his own way up there etc.?

This. Except tell him not to bother coming back because you'll have changed the locks. I hope you're just taking him up there, not actually going in yourself?
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Surprise for his 16th birthday. I managed to keep him a Charlton fan until he was 10....

God I might end up so depressed about the state of Charlton that I'll top myself....

When you go to The Valley does he come with you? If he does then he is still a Charlton fan but uses the Man U thing to disguise his shame.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

supaclive said:

When you go to The Valley does he come with you? If he does then he is still a Charlton fan but uses the Man U thing to disguise his shame.
    THIS

At school I used to pretend I was a Luton fan ... give it a couple more seasons and il probably start doing that again!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also going to be at Old Trafford with my son for the first time this evening. Visiting my wife's family in Manchester so managed to get hold of a couple of tickets.

Looking forward to it but is tinged by regret at not being able to break my boycott and be at The Valley with many likeminded fans to pay tribute to PC Palmer.

• Options
    My Son is 5, likes football but doesn't want to go to Charlton because of the 'silly owner' - live in Medway so thinking of taking him to Ebbsfleet or even Gillingham - thanks Roland
  • Options
    My daughter will be coming to the Valley, hopefully RD will be a forgotten nightmeire by the time Rosa is old enough to come along.
  • Options
    My daughter still wants to come to the Valley - 'Charlton till I die' is deeply ingrained.
  • Options
    One of Jose's 0-0s and he'll repent and come back to Charlton, at least we don't usually draw 0-0
  • Options
    You could get him to follow Stockport County instead - they've managed to drop from the Championship(a division above Man City) all the way to National League North. Their fans have really suffered.
  • Options
    a superb stadium and the tour - if you're going on that is well worth the visit - enjoy ((:>)
  • Options

You could get him to follow Stockport County instead - they've managed to drop from the Championship(a division above Man City) all the way to National League North. Their fans have really suffered.

A few more years of Roland's experiment & this scenario may well be played out in SE7
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

a superb stadium and the tour - if you're going on that is well worth the visit - enjoy ((:>)

Yes doing the tour tomorrow morning also! Thanks @AFKABartram

He did come to the Valley to watch us beat Coventry. The only game I've been to this season. I can't face home games myself!

• Options
    All my mates from school I have stayed in touch with and who supported Man Utd or Liverpool now support Wimbledon, Palace or Millwall (none saw the Charlton light sadly). If you are a real footy fan you grow out of supporting some glory hunting team 100's of miles away you have no real affinity with. Keep dragging him down The Valley Clive and he will see the light in the end.
  • Options
    Send the bill for the tickets/tour and any miscellaneous items of expense (train fare/food/beverages) to Roland for payment at the same time as demanding his exit from the club.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Thank Goodness he opted for a nice local team and didn't latch on to a successful team with loads of plastic hangers-on and glory hunters.........
  • Options

supaclive said:

Thank Goodness he opted for a nice local team and didn't latch on to a successful team with loads of plastic hangers-on and glory hunters.........
    What can I say. He obviously has terrible taste!

• Options
    Hope he enjoys it.
    I was brought up a United fan as a kid and my first visit to old Trafford was on my (13th?) birthday. It was a European tie against juventus who at the time had Zoff, Platini, Boniek and Rossi playing for them. It was a fantastic experience.
  • Options

All my mates from school I have stayed in touch with and who supported Man Utd or Liverpool now support Wimbledon, Palace or Millwall (none saw the Charlton light sadly). If you are a real footy fan you grow out of supporting some glory hunting team 100's of miles away you have no real affinity with. Keep dragging him down The Valley Clive and he will see the light in the end.

Been dragging myself down to the valley for 51 years and I still can't see the bloody light.
    I saw the light in 2003/2004 it was amazing being up and around the top for so long :smile:

It was also the ONLY season I remember where all 3 bottom teams went down on the same points. 33.
  • Options
    I was lucky , when tacking my lad around the grounds he never talked about jumping ship, I convinced him that one day after years of misery you'll see a famous win, he believed me but never trusts a word I say.