Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v MK Dons | Tue 4 Apr | P204752 | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes Dons
Tuesday 4th April 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andy Haines (Tyne & Wear)

Introduction

With the final International break taking place just over a week ago it meant our fixture against Milton Keynes was abandoned and thus postponed until one of the last available weeknights of the season, that being tomorrow evening… Like Scunthorpe United beforehand this will be the fourth match preview I’ve written covering just one team (due to League and Cup commitments) and because of that the preview will be kept a lot shorter and will take a different theme for tomorrow nights clash.

In life there are many labels that are carelessly thrown around to describe people and in my lifetime the word “hero” is certainly one of those, some consider a Footballer to be one yet they’re just men who have simply worked hard to realise their dreams of playing a professional sport.

A true hero is someone who will lay down their life in the protection of others and Tuesday night is a chance to show appreciation towards one of our own who did just this… On 22 March 2017, a lone man attempted an attack on our Parliament buildings; four people lost their lives that Wednesday afternoon on a day when all should have ended the day normally and should have returned home to their loved ones… This Tuesday night is a chance to show appreciation to one of our own: PC Keith Palmer and the others that lost their lives just over two weeks ago. Recent seasons at Charlton have seen many staying away but this Tuesday night is a chance for all Charlton fans to prove to the rest of the country just how special a club and just how special our fans truly are.

Of course tomorrow night a Football match will break out as Karl Robinson faces his old employers, just a handful of points are needed to ensure League One Football next season, failure to secure those points and for the first time in our history we could well be playing League Two Football next term.

Charlton Team News
Prior to our defeat in Peterborough; Karl Robinson confirmed that Jason Pearce, Josh Magennis and Chris Solly were close to fitness and that two out of the three mentioned could have been involved on the Weekend, as it happened it was Josh Magennis who got some game time whilst Jason Peace had to settle for a place on the bench… With goals being leaked left right and centre at the moment it could be time for the Defender to return to the team.

In the aftermath of our defeat it was confirmed that Tony Watt was subbed during the match because of a rolled ankle issue which could potentially rule him out of tomorrow’s clash with Milton Keynes, should that happen you’d expect Lee Novak and Josh Magennis to lead the line with our next best Striker being Karlan Ahearn-Grant showing once again the stupidity of loaning out Nicky Ajose.

Rudd
Byrne | Pearce | Teixeira | Chicksen
Ulvestad | Forster-Caskey | Jackson | Holmes
Novak | Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dasilva | Bauer | Crofts | Botaka | Ahearne-Grant | Aribo

Comments

• Options
    On the football not sure that'll be the line up, but either way I'm going for a win, it'll be close but 2-1 Charlton.
  • Options
    It'll be Crofts for Jackson (as they seem to be rotating at the moment); I'm not sure if Pearce will start, and if he does, surely Bauer will pay and Tex wil be sub. One thing guaranteed, is that Jay Dasilva will be on the bench!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

It'll be Crofts for Jackson (as they seem to be rotating at the moment); I'm not sure if Pearce will start, and if he does, surely Bauer will pay and Tex wil be sub. One thing guaranteed, is that Jay Dasilva will be on the bench!

Good point on the Jackson / Crofts rotation policy at the moment.

I really think it'll be stupid if we don't start Pearce - We're shipping goals so with Konsa out we need to try something else.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Emotional evening and hopefully three points guide us nearly over the finishing line on a woeful campaign, 2-0 with the players giving a performance that the occasion deserves.
  • Options
    Remember this thread from when the Scouser was appointed: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/2693781#Comment_2693781

He's already surpassed a number of people's predictions. I went for MK Dons at home as his last game but, despite the fact that he is far, far worse than any of us could have possibly imagined, it doesn't seem like his position is under threat, and I think we'll have to put up with his tedious waffling at least until the end of the season. Clutching at straws perhaps, but I'm hoping that is because Roland is happy to let the new owner foot the bill for sacking him.

More nonsense after Saturday's defeat (our first ever at London Road). He once again said that "I know what has to change", and once again failed to specify what this is. He's spent a fair bit of time over the last few weeks talking about what needs to happen in the summer, the brutal pre-season training, the squad overhaul, etc, etc, and I really think it's about time he started focusing on the remaining games this season, what with us only being four points above the drop zone and on a run of 1 win in 13.

Following their noble gesture of donating their match fees to PC Palmer's family, I think the players will raise their game for this one. 2-0 to Charlton, Jackson with one of the goals and an unusually enjoyable evening in SE7, marred only by yet more excruciating post-match waffle from the Scouse Bullshitting Machine.

• Options
    If we lose tomorrow and the shrews beat millwall we really will be in the s##t.
    Another 1.1 draw
  • Options
    Stating the obvious, we really need a win tomorrow to calm the nerves.

Southend on Saturday is a tough fixture on paper.

A win tomorrow will mean we only need another 2/3 points to be safe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    law of averages suggest that we'll win this one .. BUT, not one penny of mine will be wagered that that will be the case

CAFC 3 v Milton Keynes Dons 0
  • Options
    Mk been on a decent run but they aren't great.

Then again we have yet more injuries and are on a terrible run.

2-2 draw.

• Options
    Whilst I've been banging on about relegation odds and the likelihood of us dropping down a league, I think the players will be up for this one.
    3-1 home win.
  • Options
    MKD's goal difference is zero, nearly as good as ours, +1.

They already have 51 points, so probably only need 1 more to be safe & may already be safe.

Hopefully, they'll take it a bit easy.

Cue 0-5 drubbing.
  • Options
    who scores first will be important. if mk score first, 1-0 to them. if they don't, neither will we...
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Whilst I've been banging on about relegation odds and the likelihood of us dropping down a league, I think the players will be up for this one.
    3-1 home win.

A winning team often seem to get few injuries and a losing team often seem to get untold injuries.

I can't help thinking it's more a case of some players sometimes exaggerate injuries, because they don't want to play in a losing team.

Yet, in a winning team, they'll say they are not injured, as they're desperate to keep their place in the team.
  • Options
    Get your bets on us going down while the odds are still good, 66/1. Its a crying shame, but i just cannot see where goals are going to come from. MK 2 -0.
  • Options
    We're 20th in the league on home form.

MKD are 9th on away form :-(

http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england3
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Really ought to be Jacko playing tomorrow. We need a leader on the pitch and, more importantly, it was JJ who got the players to donate their match fees to Keith Palmer's fund.

It's also a big occasion - for all the stuff about his legs have gone, JJ rises to the occasion. He's about the only one of our current squad who does. He needs to be on the pitch, even if only for the first 60 minutes then bring Crofts on and concede a late equaliser.

I agree, but I think the issue is that Jacko can't play two games in three days. He's had a bit of an Indian Summer playing at the base of a midfield diamond, but I suspect it will come down to how fit he is.

Same thing for Pearce and fitness. Playing 60 and 90 minutes for the U-23s after 3-4 months out doesn't necessarily mean he's fit to play 90 minutes. But if he is, I'd say start him, and I was a bit of a critic of his when he was a regular in the side.
  • Options
    We are shit and we'll loose.

Gobinson will then tell us it'll all be ok as the squad will do an extra 2 weeks in pre-season and he has sorted a budget out.

Its going to the last day of the season imo. Us or Swindon for the final relegation spot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An emotional night , but MK to edge it 2-1 . Holmes on scoresheet again .
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Remember this thread from when the Scouser was appointed: http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/2693781#Comment_2693781
    More nonsense after Saturday's defeat (our first ever at London Road). He once again said that "I know what has to change", and once again failed to specify what this is. He's spent a fair bit of time over the last few weeks talking about what needs to happen in the summer, the brutal pre-season training, the squad overhaul, etc, etc, and I really think it's about time he started focusing on the remaining games this season, what with us only being four points above the drop zone and on a run of 1 win in 13.

The only thing that has to change right now is that Charlton need to win some matches!
    Just 1 win in 13 games says it all.

What exactly is not working, Robinson?

We can see the team as a unit is not working, some individual players are not performing, and the spirit often lacking.
    Where is the professionalism?

Or are some players now so disaffected that the present situation is almost irretrievable?
    No doubt some know already that they are leaving.

Just as importantly, Robinson - you are the manager.
    Sort it out.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

MrLargo said:

The only thing that has to change right now is that Charlton need to win some matches!
    Just 1 win in 13 games says it all.

What exactly is not working? Robinson

Fixed that for you Oggy :wink:
  • Options

We are shit and we'll loose.

Gobinson will then tell us it'll all be ok as the squad will do an extra 2 weeks in pre-season and he has sorted a budget out.

Its going to the last day of the season imo. Us or Swindon for the final relegation spot.

At least it won't go to pens :)
  • Options
    I can't see us winning this one, 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I can't see us winning this one, 2-0 to them.

But Dick ..... Happy Valley said we'd win 4-0.

• Options
    Our luck is about to change. 2-0.
    Holmes & Ulvestadt.
  • Options

If we lose tomorrow and the shrews beat millwall we really will be in the s##t.
    Another 1.1 draw

F me that will only be TWO points. Yikes!
  • Options
    I'm absolutely bricking it. 6 games left and we need 4 draws to beat the club record, and we're still not safe from relegation. The consolidationist in me wants 21 draws at the end of the season and to finish between 14th - 18th

I'll be distraught if we fail to achieve this
  • Options
    Big win, 3-1