Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rio Lobo

Just flicking through the channels for something to watch and stopped at this John Wayne film currently showing on Spike. I'm pretty sure that was the film that was showing on TV when it got interuppted to go live to the Iranian Embassy and the SAS going in. Anybody remember for sure if that was the film ? They went back to it later but I can't remember watching all of it, probably switched to the news which was more exciting given what we'd just witnessed.

Comments

• Options

Just flicking through the channels for something to watch and stopped at this John Wayne film currently showing on Spike. I'm pretty sure that was the film that was showing on TV when it got interuppted to go live to the Iranian Embassy and the SAS going in. Anybody remember for sure if that was the film ? They went back to it later but I can't remember watching all of it, probably switched to the news which was more exciting given what we'd just witnessed.

I thought we were away at West ham that night ? I seem to remember coming home & it being on the news.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure we were watching the snooker final on the Beeb.
  • Options

I'm pretty sure we were watching the snooker final on the Beeb.

Likewise. ;)
  • Options
    Phew !

My one grey cell IS still working !
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I don't recall that Charlton were playing away to West Ham that night or why I didn't go. It was 5 May 1980 and must have been a bank holiday Monday. The season would surely have ended by then or this was just about the last game surely unless it was a testimonial game. I've now found some references to the snooker being on BBC that night and three people recalling they had been watching a John Wayne film but not which one.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I think it was the last game of our relegation season. As for the rest of what you've said, I've already provided the evidence above.
  • Options

I think it was the last game of our relegation season. As for the rest of what you've said, I've already provided the evidence above.

Just noticed. Thanks
  • Options

I thought we were away at West ham that night ? I seem to remember coming home & it being on the news.
    Lost 4 - 1. Hales scored for us.

During the game loads of police left the ground in a hurry.

It was only later we realised it was linked to the drive.