Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spot the old player - With a difference

Can you help out the musuem.

Now this is a famous photo. The first of a Charlton team at the begining or during their first competitive season (06/07).

They won the league that year (Lewisham League Division 3) but the players names aren't given.

Vice Captain was Eddie (Short for Edwin) Marshall.

This is Eddie from the next season's team photo

The question is which of the 06/07 players is Eddie. We at the museum aren't sure so let us know what you think.

Comments

• Front row on right
  • ross1 said:

Front row left looks like Keith Peacock and middle row 2nd left looks like Lennie Glover. :wink: Looks like Eddie is middle row left.

I'm with you
  • Havent got a scooby... On a side note though love looking at these photos of Football teams when they were starting out, always look into the faces wondering if they ever realised what they were starting all those years ago
  • edited March 2017
    See, I thought back row 6th from left but can see the case for the other two mentioned based on the ears
  • I think front row on the right.
    I think one of the photos is reversed.
  • Someone could have told middle row right his shorts buttons were undone!!
    Think Eddie is front row right
  • I can't make up my mind between end left middle row or end right ( who appears to have forgotten to do up his shorts).

I'm thinking left, but those ears...
  • Middle row far right
  • Sponsored links:

• The hair parting is on the left. Looking at the team photo that would cancel most out.

Therefore on the hair scenario I agree with SomervilleAddick, one of the 2 end middle row.
  • Middle row far left for me, his hair parting is low left to right and has similar shoulders to the image of him in the following season.
  • Middle row left just above a young Keith Peacock
  • Totally confident he's on the left in the middle row
  • Middle row, farthest right. The lugholes are strong with that one.

Also, the hair is similar whilst it isn't on any of the others.
  • See, I thought back row 6th from left but can see the case for the other two mentioned based on the ears

agree - a year older in the individual picture, slightly longer hair. The other option is middle row far right but the eyes don't look right.
  • edited March 2017

Havent got a scooby... On a side note though love looking at these photos of Football teams when they were starting out, always look into the faces wondering if they ever realised what they were starting all those years ago

This fascinates me as well. Looking back they were perhaps the generation that saw more material change to their lives and the world around them than any other generation before or since. In their formative years they would have had no inclination of the change, tragedy and achievement ahead of them. Being born between 1891 and 1900, their average life expectancy was just 49 years. However, if they reached the age of 70, then they could expect to live to 79. So, statistically its possible that one of this group could have lived to c. 1970.

- The end of the Victorian era
    - Powered flight
    - The first match involving CAFC
    - Universal suffrage
    - The war to end all wars
    - Homes fit for heroes
    - The building of The Valley
    - The Great Depression
    - The mass expansion of London into the suburbs
    - 75,000 at The Valley watching the team they started just a few years before
    - The Second world war
    - Development of the NHS
    - Their team winning the FA Cup win
    - Development of the Jet engine
    - Loss of an Empire
    - The Cold War
    - The swinging sixties
    - England 1966
    - Man on the moon

and a whole lot more..
  • Middle row far right surely
  • Middle row, farthest right. The lugholes are strong with that one.

Also, the hair is similar whilst it isn't on any of the others.
    Agreed. I think he's just kopping a strop in the team photo, which may throw others off the scent.
  • Havent got a scooby... On a side note though love looking at these photos of Football teams when they were starting out, always look into the faces wondering if they ever realised what they were starting all those years ago

Being born between 1891 and 1900, their average life expectancy was just 49 years. However, if they reached the age of 70, then they could expect to live to 79. So, statistically its possible that one of this group could have lived to c. 1970.
    Assuming he survived the First World War, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that one of our older posters may have family that remembered him as an older man or knew his family/descendants.

Any descendants of the early players still around who might be able to shed any light on that team photo?

• Sponsored links:

• Back row third from right. The one middle row left doesn't look right facially.
  • Can we start a campaign for the compulsory wearing of flat caps by goalies.
  • Um, that lad on the middle row right may be in danger of flying without a license. If only they would get on with it and invent practical zips.
  • The one with Eddie on his shirt.

This fascinates me as well. Looking back they were perhaps the generation that saw more material change to their lives and the world around them than any other generation before or since. In their formative years they would have had no inclination of the change, tragedy and achievement ahead of them. Being born between 1891 and 1900, their average life expectancy was just 49 years. However, if they reached the age of 70, then they could expect to live to 79. So, statistically its possible that one of this group could have lived to c. 1970.

- The end of the Victorian era
    - Powered flight
    - The first match involving CAFC
    - Universal suffrage
    - The war to end all wars
    - Homes fit for heroes
    - The building of The Valley
    - The Great Depression
    - The mass expansion of London into the suburbs
    - 75,000 at The Valley watching the team they started just a few years before
    - The Second world war
    - Development of the NHS
    - Their team winning the FA Cup win
    - Development of the Jet engine
    - Loss of an Empire
    - The Cold War
    - The swinging sixties
    - England 1966
    - Man on the moon

and a whole lot more..
    - Occasional victories over Millwall
  • Oggy Red said:

Havent got a scooby... On a side note though love looking at these photos of Football teams when they were starting out, always look into the faces wondering if they ever realised what they were starting all those years ago

Being born between 1891 and 1900, their average life expectancy was just 49 years. However, if they reached the age of 70, then they could expect to live to 79. So, statistically its possible that one of this group could have lived to c. 1970.
    Assuming he survived the First World War, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that one of our older posters may have family that remembered him as an older man or knew his family/descendants.

Any descendants of the early players still around who might be able to shed any light on that team photo?

A copy of that photo with names would be the equivalent of the Rosetta Stone to the Museum
  • I'm pretty sure he is middle row far left because apart from the likeness he looks quite tall which would fit in with him being a centre half.