Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough v Charlton | Sat 1 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Peterborough United v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 1st April 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Graham Salisbury (Lancashire)

Introduction

After a long absence which saw two weeks of freedom from the Charlton match-day experience we return to League action this Saturday in what will mark the start of the final month of the entire season, eight months have surpassed and now we reach the true business end of the season as teams jockey and jostle for the final league positions…

Teams that are in relegation trouble now have a limited number of games to get themselves out of trouble, others are in last chance saloon for picking up form to make a late surge for the Play-Offs whilst others like Charlton are already on their summer holidays, this Saturday we make the trip to Peterborough United for the beginning of the end in what has been another disappointing season.

The Opposition
Name: Peterborough United | Manager: Grant McCann
Ground: London Road

Its was back in December when these two sides last met; on the 17th December Peterborough made the shortish trip down to South London on the back of a terrible run against the Addicks which saw our opponents losing all but one game (a draw) from 1993 until the present day... Sadly though, that type of record always has to end (unless its us against Millwall) and the Addicks never looked like earning a point as the Posh returned home with a 2-0 win in the bag.

Since that day I felt certain that Peterborough would reach the Play-Offs such was their impressive display at the Valley yet a disastrous run in 2017 has seen the Posh fall to around mid-table and now look certain to be playing League One Football next term. The fact that Peterborough have only won two home games this calendar year means that the Addicks could well get something out of this Saturday.

Charlton Team News
Two weeks with no Football surely means that a lot of our injured players have now returned to fitness (unless your Ahmed Kashi)… One player though who wont be appearing again this term will be Left-Back: Lewis Page who has been ruled out with a hamstring, his place should be filled by Adam Chicksen rather than Jay Dasilva who having played for the England U17s over the last week will be coming back to Sparrows Lane for a good earned rest.

Staying in defence it was highlighted the other week that since Jason Pearce was injured we’ve picked up just eight points from a possible thirty six and with the summer signing now back and fit, we could see him starting this Saturday… Moving further up the pitch; Ezri Konsa had to withdraw from England duty with a hamstring injury so could also be out this Saturday, if so you’d expect Jake Forster-Caskey to potentially start in his place. Finally it will be a surprise to see Josh Magennis on Saturday after he was forced to take no part in the Northern Ireland matches last week, another player who is suffering with hamstring problems at this late stage.

Rudd
Byrne | Pearce | Teixeira | Chicksen
Botaka | Forster-Caskey | Crofts | Holmes
Novak | Watt

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dasilva | Bauer | Aribo | Jackson | Ahearne-Grant | Ulvestad

Comments

• Options
    Looking forward to this game and will hopefully see us win an away game that I've attended this season, though to be fair I've only seen us lose once away in this campaign and that was the first game at Bury. I fancy us to win this one 2-0
  • Options
    2-2
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Rudd
    Byrne Bauer Pearce Chicksen
    Crofts
    Ulvestad Forster-Caskey
    Holmes
    Watt Novak

Phillips, Teixeira, Dasilva, Jackson, Aribo, Botaka, Magennis

Teixeira really unfortunate not to start, but with Pearce back, unless we go three at the back, I can't see Robinson leaving out Bauer.

2-0 win.
    Holmes and Novak.
    First clean sheet in 14 games, Pearce showing how important he is to us.
  • Options
    I am not a fan of Bottika other than in the last 5 mins and would much prefer Aribo to start. I would also prefer Freddie than Crofts on recent performances, although the rest may have done him the world of good.
  • Options
    Going for another Draw, 1 -1 our goal from Tex.
  • Options
    The Posh still have an outside (almost out of sight) chance of the playoffs .. they are no longer one of our whipping boy clubs .. it will be a difficult game and should be entertaining ..
    lots of our players should be playing for their futures, either with us or somewhere down the road .. typed should .. let's hope they give it a right good go for the rest of the season

Peterborough United 2 v CAFC 2
  • Options
    What pub is everyone going to before hand?

1-3 Jacko hat trick.
  • Options
    Tricky little tie this and I feel we will be undone and nervously going into the home game against MK Dons on edge....

Peterborough 2-0 Charlton

@The31YearMan to get suitably ridiculed on the dj coach about whether or not he's going with the trust coach to Coventry......

He deals with being the coach pariah by burying his head in The Railways, nation, network and people by Simon Bradley.

The only solace as we hit the Redbridge roundabout is that he knows the year 3rd class carriages were abolished on the train network
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    High scoring draw. Almost certainly 3-3, but it could be 4-4.

Magennis may be fit now, so I'd expect to see him and Watt up front.
    Prefer Ulvestadt over Crofts.
  • Options
    Has there been any update since Tuesday lunchtime on the number of tickets sold ?
  • Options
    Thanks to a bet with my window cleaning posh st holder, this is a must win although I have little confidence, so crossing everything 0-1 to the boys, if you see a silly old fart really moaning at the end that'll be me.
  • Options
    0-9 to the Addicks. Someone in this league is due a hammering on a Saturday... or it may be 1-1, let me think!

Oh, I just don't give a fook to be honest. Just looking forward to the craic of the match thread. See you there.
  • Options
    It's been so long since we played, and with everything else going on I'd forgotten that this is a forum about a football club :).
  • Options
    Great post by MrLargo .
    Personally I reckon a boring 1.I.
    Sums our shite season up.

Just sell the club
  • Options

Great post by MrLargo .

Just sell the club

For me he really delivers on these pre match threads
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Great post by MrLargo .

Just sell the club

For me he really delivers on these pre match threads
    Totally agree cuddles
  • Options
    Could be another step nearer the trap door after this one.
  • Options
    Rudd
    Byrne Bauer Pearce Chicksen
    Ulvestad
    Forster-Caskey Jackson
    Holmes
    Watt Novak

1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me, Crofts just can't play in a midfield 2. I'm also going on the assumption that Pearce will be on the bench, but not quite fit enough to start (maybe Tuesday). I'd much rather see one of the following:
    Rudd
    Byrne Bauer Tex Chicks
    ................JJ
    ....Ulve...........JFC
    ...........Holmes
    ......Novak........Watt

Or
    Rudd
    Byrne Bauer Tex Chicks
    .........Ulve.....JJ
    Holmes....JFC.......Botaka
    ............Watt
  • Options
    1-1 another result to head us towards our record draws in 1 season
  • Options
    Posh do the double - oh, the shame of it.
  • Options
    Solly must be near a return, didn't Robinson talk about 2 players returning and ready to start?

Otherwise, with the return of Pearce we're really well set up to play 3 at the back, with Chicksen and Byrne perfect as wingbacks, indeed almost certainly more suited to that role than a straight full back role...

With players returning, we really ought to start getting some positive results.
  • Options
    Looks like we have a strong team available 1-2 Charlton! COYR
  • Options
    0-1
    A clean sheet and 3 points to move us away from the relegation zones.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Tricky little tie this and I feel we will be undone and nervously going into the home game against MK Dons on edge....

@The31YearMan to get suitably ridiculed on the dj coach about whether or not he's going with the trust coach to Coventry......

He deals with being the coach pariah by burying his head in The Railways, nation, network and people by Simon Bradley.

The only solace as we hit the Redbridge roundabout is that he knows the year 3rd class carriages were abolished on the train network

Can't imagine anyone ridiculing, The 31YearMan, can you Cabbles?.
  • Options
    2-1 defeat.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Big win to seal the sale of the club.

1-0 and Peterborough are ecstatic at being bought out by RedBull
  • Options

cabbles said:

Can't imagine anyone ridiculing, The 31YearMan, can you Cabbles?.
    he certainly won't be offered any cake, that's for sure