Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boys of Summer 2017

Comments

• Options
    Diamondbacks losing heavily right now to Padres after winning 13 straight games including a series against the dominant Dodgers
  • Options
    Yeah there's no "cheating" as such although I find sign stealing unsavoury. Using the Apple Watch was stupid and I can't quite figure out how you would get the message out there fast enough for it to be effective either.

Joe Giradi claiming the skankees were whiter than white pissed me off as well, as everyone knew they were doing the same. other teams just didn't go to the media with it as that's not the done thing.

All in all it's a storm in a tea cup brought on by absolute stupidity. Whatever happens with the rest of the season this leaves a blemish an md just adds to the New England cheating in sports storyline.
  • Options
    The Tribe are heading to a 21 game winning streak equalling the Cubs record made in 1935. 4-1 to the Indians after 4 innings against the Tigers.
  • Options
    Indians win 5-3 and equal the record for record number of games won in a row 21.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Indians win 5-3 and equal the record for record number of games won in a row 21.

I was watching a game the other night where I'm sure the commentators said the record was 26 games? I'm pretty sure they said it was the New York Giants in about 1915 or so. Is this not right then?
  • Options

1StevieG said:

I was watching a game the other night where I'm sure the commentators said the record was 26 games? I'm pretty sure they said it was the New York Giants in about 1915 or so. Is this not right then?
    Not from what I have been hearing on the MLB Tv network. They are saying the Cubs record of 21 is the overall leagues record. 20 was the American League record which was held by Oakland A's during their 2002 season ( which I believe is what the book Moneyball is based on ).
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

Not from what I have been hearing on the MLB Tv network. They are saying the Cubs record of 21 is the overall leagues record. 20 was the American League record which was held by Oakland A's during their 2002 season ( which I believe is what the book Moneyball is based on ).
    Edit : I stand corrected it is 26 games which was the record in 1916 by the New York Giants.

• Options
    1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

Edit : I stand corrected it is 26 games which was the record in 1916 by the New York Giants.

But the giants tied a game. So it's a bit dubious
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

I remember the Oakland A's doing that. And yeah, moneyball was based on it.
    Not disputing the records you quote, it was just mentioned in commentary because the Indians current streak is obviously a talking point at the mo.

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

1StevieG said:

But the giants tied a game. So it's a bit dubious
    If that's the case I expect it's why there are two 'records' being quoted.
    I imagine it depends on whether you consider it a 'winning streak' or an 'unbeaten streak'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017

I always find it so difficult to predict at the beginning of the season.
    Having said that, I really expect the eventual winner to come from the top six I've named in the OP and I'd be surprised if it's anyone below my top 13, but what do I know?

Anyway, I'm interested to see in October just how right (or wrong) I've got it, so here's my predictions for each division:

AL East:
    Red Sox
    Blue Jays
    Yanks
    Orioles
    Rays

AL Central:
    Indians
    Tigers
    Royals
    White Sox
    Twins

AL West
    Rangers
    Astros
    Mariners
    Angels
    Athletics

Wildcards: Blue Jays and Astros

NL East
    Nats
    Mets
    Braves
    Marlins
    Phillies

NL Central
    Cubs
    Cards
    Pirates
    Reds
    Brewers

NL West
    Dodgers
    Giants
    Rockies
    D-Backs
    Padres

Wildcards: Mets and Giants

I just love it. Roll on Sunday. :smiley:

Just looking back at my predictions, I got 5 of the 6 division winners right and the 6th winner was the team I placed 2nd, so I feel fairly pleased with that!
    Having said that, maybe picking the best teams is a bit easier than placing the rest, because there are a few misses in the rest of my predictions.
    The bits I think I got most wrong were; the Giants, who were dreadful; the Brewers, who were better than expected; and getting the Twins and the Tigers the wrong way round. Got the Rangers and the Mets a bit wrong too!
    Actually, now I look at it, I got quite a lot wrong! :anguished:

Anyway, now it's:

ALDS
    Redsox v Astros (currently 0-1)
    Yanks v Indians (currently 0-1)

NLDS
    Cubs v Nats
    D-backs v Dodgers

I fancy Astros v Indians for the ALCS and Cubs v Dodgers for the NLCS

Then Dodgers v Indians for the World Series.

Dodgers to win it all.
  • Options
    D-backs did well against the Dodgers during the regular season, wouldn't surprise me if they upset LA.

Indians still looking very good and have arguably the best pitching rotation.

The Astros getting Verlander in the last few seconds of the trade window really gave them the kick up the backside they needed.

Two wild cards and divisional games have all been home wins so far
  • Options
    Hope you're right lordromford but even if we beat the D-backs I think we'll find it tough to beat probably the Cubs. I like Cleveland to go one better than last year and win the series this time.
  • Options
    Well I was completely wrong about the D-backs. So far:

ALDS
    Astros 3 v 1 over the Red Sox and will face the winner of the Indians v Yankees which is going to a final game decider in Cleveland.

If the Indians win, they'll have home field advantage. If the Yankees win, the Astros will have HFA.

NLDS
    Dodgers sweep the D-backs and will face the winner of the Cubs and Nationals with the Cubs currently leading 2 v 1.

Dodgers will have home field advantage.
  • Options
    Terrific pitching performance so far by Strasburg for the Nats. I'd like to see them hang on and take it to a 5th game but I fancy there are some more twists and turns to come before that happens.
  • Options
    Grand Slam for Taylor for the Nats to make it 5-0. Looks like we are going to Game 5.
  • Options
    Cleveland are out.
  • Options
    So Cleveland mirror the moneyball A's by streaking during the season and losing to Yanks in the ALDS. Not sure where the Indians go from here. Ageing team and have really had a go at it the last few years. Could disappear into oblivion next season.
  • Options
    Rooting for the Yankees now although I think they will come unstuck against the Astros who have been building their team for a few years. The catch from Aaron Judge as the ball headed for a home run was impressive in the second or third game as he just stuck a hand up and reeled the ball in whereas most outfield players would have been climbing the wall just to get a hand to it.
  • Options
    Shows how much I know. But well done to the Yankees, deserving winners after a great performance on the road at Cleveland. They probably start underdogs against the Astros but there's no doubt they have some momentum. Looking forward to the Nats V Cubs Game 5 tonight. Probably prefer the Nats to win to face my my Dodgers in the NLCS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Incredible game so far tonight. Cubs lead 8-6 going into the 7th. I'd be a massive baseball fan if it wasn't for the time difference...
  • Options
    Fantastic Game 5 between the Nats & Cubs with the Cubs finally winning 9-8. I just hope they are too knackered to beat the Dodgers.
  • Options
    Astros 2 - 0 Yankees

Dodgers 2 - Cubs 0

Houston and LA were two of the three teams to win 100+ games in the regular season so would be a fitting world series but still plenty of games to be played yet.
  • Options
    Delighted with the Dodgers being 2-0 up. Still work to do but I think that the Cubs misfiring Bullpen gives us the edge this time. Been very impressed by the Astros however who I expect to come through against the Yankees. They will be tough to beat.
  • Options
    Yankees win game 3 8 - 1 to make it 2 - 1.

Two more games in New York before the last two (if needed) in Texas.
  • Options
    After the wonderful start to the decade, it's all going horribly wrong. We are facing a Liverpool v Millwall type World Series... *shudders* :wink:
  • Options
    Full marks to the Yankees for winning the 3 home games to go 3-2 up, didn't expect that. With Verlander set to go for the Astros back in Houston in Game 6 I fancy this one is probably going to go the full 7 Games. I have a sneaking feeling Houston will still come through in the end. Dodgers now 3-1 up on the Cubs, hopefully Kershaw will see us home tonight, if not we still have 2 chances back in LA to get through.
  • Options
    Dodgers make it to the World Series and will host the winners of the Yankees/Astros in the first game. Let’s go Yankees.
  • Options
    Well, the Dodgers are in the WS.
    You’ve got to fancy them from here, considering they’ll now go into the series with well rested pitchers, as opposed to the yanks/astros who will have played at least 4 more postseason games.
    By the way, has anyone gone the entire postseason unbeaten? A lot of baseball still to be played, but could these Dodgers do it?
  • Options
    Hope not. Don't like the Dodgers.