Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Boys of Summer 2017

Comments

• Astros have a deep batting lineup but still got a concern about strength of rotation and Fiers in particular.
  • Adam Wainwright pitching well tonight. If he can get back to what he was Cards have a real chance as have Lynn and Martinez too. The offence is there, it's the defence that has struggled.
  • edited May 2017
    Cards looking good too. Tommy Pham is batting well. Watched them on friday night against the Cubs and the house was packed out with a record attendance. Contreras man of the match. Astros currently got the Yankees on toast 9-0 bottom of the 4th.
  • Off to see the Yankees at Rays on friday night.
  • Make sure to boo the shit out of them Yankees.
  • edited May 2017
    Rays beat the Yankees 5-4. An exciting game to watch as it was 4-4 until the bottom of the 8th when Longoria brought a runner in after some calamitous fielding from Judge wiped out the fielder from second base who caught a ball in foul territory before a collision with Judge that knocked the ball clean out of his hand. Managed to get on to Jumbo vision a couple of times too as we were sat near to the front about half way between 1st base and the foul pole. Lots of Yankees fans there too so every time they started the let's go Yankees chant the home fans would drown them out. One thing I would change is stop the fans from walking down the aisles to their seats mid inning as they don't realize other people are watching the game. Do that at any cricket ground and you will get slaughtered.
  • 1StevieG said:

One thing I would change is stop the fans from walking down the aisles to their seats mid inning as they don't realize other people are watching the game.

You can take the boy out of Charlton.
  • colthe3rd said:

1StevieG said:

One thing I would change is stop the fans from walking down the aisles to their seats mid inning as they don't realize other people are watching the game.

You can take the boy out of Charlton.
    Siddaaaaaarn.
  • Reds @ the Cards tonight on MLB YouTube channel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just seen the Diamondbacks beat the Reds 6-3. Arizona look very good, Cincinnati not so much - having an indoors, air conditioned stadium is completely necessary in this ridiculous heat.
  • se9addick said:

Just seen the Diamondbacks beat the Reds 6-3. Arizona look very good, Cincinnati not so much - having an indoors, air conditioned stadium is completely necessary in this ridiculous heat.

My team, always wanted to go to them, pretty unlucky this season in that both the Dodgers and the Rockies are having decent seasons too
  • sam3110 said:

se9addick said:

Just seen the Diamondbacks beat the Reds 6-3. Arizona look very good, Cincinnati not so much - having an indoors, air conditioned stadium is completely necessary in this ridiculous heat.

My team, always wanted to go to them, pretty unlucky this season in that both the Dodgers and the Rockies are having decent seasons too
    Looking pretty likely that all three will make the postseason though, seeing as the NL east and central have no teams other than the leaders above 500.
    Unless someone goes on a second half of the season charge, the NL west pretty much has the wildcard slots sewn up.
  • I see they are lining up a regular season series in London for 2019, with the Red Sox and the Yankees as the favorites for the games at the Taxpayer Stadium.
  • edited August 2017
    Terrific end to the Indians @ Redsox game just now.

The ninth inning saw Cleveland draw level with a homer, then take the lead through a pickoff error. They then got Boston two down with just a man on first. Cleveland then got the third out with a strikeout - game over? No, because the catcher failed to control the ball and the batter got to first, giving the Redsox a bonus life. Next man up promptly sticks the ball over the green monster to win the game.
    A couple of oddities here:
    Redsox closer Craig Kimbrel managed to both blow the save and get the win.
    Also, Mitch Moreland who was struck out, yet reached base, was the winning run scorer, despite being "out".

I love this game.
  • Sox need to sort themselves out and stop arguing with TV analysts. I used to like Pedey but this season he has thrown a teammate under the bus after the dirty Machado slide and can't stop arguing with Eck after the incident with Price. His trip to the DL, coinciding with price might let the team refocus enough to start winning games again.
  • Well, this is interesting - on the 2nd of August (two posts up) I described the brilliant end to a baseball game and pointed out two oddities, one of which was a man being struck out, yet going on to score the winning run.
    Well it happened again last night as the Cubs beat the Blue Jays 6-5 in the tenth with Javy Baez scoring the decisive 6th run after reaching on a spilled strikeout.
    Another great finish to a game, but more to the point, it's made me wonder just how rare a phenomenon this is? I honestly thought it would be rarer than rocking horse poo, but now it's happened in two games in the same month in games I just happened to be watching!
    Is this more common than I thought? I'd never seen this before in close to 20 years of following baseball, yet now it's happened twice in three weeks.
    I can't find any stats on it, so can anyone enlighten me?
  • Three weeks ago took the family to see the Atlanta Braves v, The LA Dodgers.
    The Braves won, which apparently was a turn up. They lost the mini series though apparently.
    I enjoyed the evening although $28 for three beers took the edge off a bit.
    The game was interesting, but I'm not sure I'd go all that regularly if I lived there. Too little happening for too much of the time for me.
  • Bit of a flat season with some many runaway leaders.

Four of the six almost settled already (things can change in baseball but 14 game clear?)

Even in the American East Red Sox are five clear of the Damn Yankees

National central has three average sides (Cubs, Brewers and Cards) fighting it out but none look good enough to go far post-season.
  • Bit of a flat season with some many runaway leaders.

Four of the six almost settled already (things can change in baseball but 14 game clear?)

Even in the American East Red Sox are five clear of the Damn Yankees

National central has three average sides (Cubs, Brewers and Cards) fighting it out but none look good enough to go far post-season.

True enough. Although I'm enjoying the NL Central battle and, as a Red Sox fan, I can never really relax until those damn Yankees have been well and truly buried!
    As for winning the whole thing, on the season's evidence so far you've got to fancy the Dodgers as they've destroyed everyone they've played. They're so dominant (and the SF Giants are so bad) that the Giants have already got a little "E" by their name in the NL West.
    Having said that, the postseason can do strange things, and once they're there, it's anyone's to win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Astros v Dodgers World Series
  • edited August 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Three weeks ago took the family to see the Atlanta Braves v, The LA Dodgers.
    The Braves won, which apparently was a turn up. They lost the mini series though apparently.
    I enjoyed the evening although $28 for three beers took the edge off a bit.
    The game was interesting, but I'm not sure I'd go all that regularly if I lived there. Too little happening for too much of the time for me.

2 years ago:
    50$ for parking at the AT&T Stadium in SF!
    543$ for 4 tickets to see the Giants (not even that good a view)!
    can't remember how much the beers cost, but I do remember my credit card groaning when the barman gave the price!
    Losing 1-2 to the Dodgers!

Pretty shit night out all around!

• Macronate said:
    Idiots.
    Makes me wonder how long they've been doing it and getting away with it. Also, whether anyone else is doing it.
    I may be a redsox fan, but I'd have no issue with them getting a big punishment for this.
  • Macronate said:
    Idiots.
    Makes me wonder how long they've been doing it and getting away with it. Also, whether anyone else is doing it.
    I may be a redsox fan, but I'd have no issue with them getting a big punishment for this.
    I imagine it goes on quite a lot. I see they've also made a counter claim against the Yankees who they accuse of using a camera feed from their own broadcaster to see pitch selection.
  • Stealing signs isn't against the rules, it's using technolgy that is. Cleveland were supposed to be doing this years ago, where the camera would pick up the signs, relay the info to the dugout and they would whistle before the pitch. I think it was if it was a breaking ball. They just made them cover up the cameras.

I'm just amazed how dumb this was. If you're going to use the Apple Watch, you don't need people looking at them. If all your doing is identifying certain pitches (fastball, breaking ball, etc.) you just give each coach a watch, and text him when it's his assigned pitch. The haptics means he'd get the message without ever looking at the watch.

The hope around here is that it gets Farrall fired as manager. He's held in the same high esteem we hold Fraye.
  • Stealing signs isn't against the rules, it's using technolgy that is. Cleveland were supposed to be doing this years ago, where the camera would pick up the signs, relay the info to the dugout and they would whistle before the pitch. I think it was if it was a breaking ball. They just made them cover up the cameras.

I'm just amazed how dumb this was. If you're going to use the Apple Watch, you don't need people looking at them. If all your doing is identifying certain pitches (fastball, breaking ball, etc.) you just give each coach a watch, and text him when it's his assigned pitch. The haptics means he'd get the message without ever looking at the watch.

The hope around here is that it gets Farrall fired as manager. He's held in the same high esteem we hold Fraye.

Farrell has made some bizarre decisions in his time....... His persistence with Matt Barnes as set up man for so long has lost so many games this year.

But we are still top. Don't think we will trouble the late stages of the post season (if we make it there at all). Even Sale is looking rocky now..... Porcello is having the most average season following a Cy Young ever..... Fister is probably our best pitcher at the moment.

And Betts and Bogearts have gone from all star worthy to worthless.
  • LA dodgers having a bad day at the office with D-Backs JD Martinez hitting 4 home runs off 4 different pitchers winning 13-0.
  • @DamoNorthStand it does seem to have all gone bad at once. Starting pitching and hitting, although the bullpen managed 11 scoreless innings last night in a 19 inning win. Maybe that will get them going.
  • edited September 2017
    Boston Red Sox now claiming the Yankees also stole signs via electronic devices.
    http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20170907&content_id=253036746&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb