Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Boys of Summer 2017

The new season is nearly upon us.
Opening day (2nd of April) has three games including reigning World Series Champs Chicago Cubs travelling to St Louis Cardinals to open their defence of the title. Also playing are the Yanks @ Rays and the Giants @ D-Backs.

Who's your money on this year?

Do you always back the favourite? Then back the Cubs who start as favourites again.
If you fancy a strong contender, the Red Sox and Dodgers, along with last year's beaten finalists the Indians are all strongly fancied, with the Nats and Giants expected to be in the mix too.
Maybe you fancy one of the teams that look strong, but not convincing to break out from the pack, like the Mets, Rangers, Blue Jays, Yanks, Tigers, Cards or Astros?
Or do you fancy a punt on a surprise? In which case, the Pirates, Angels, Rockies, Orioles, Royals or Mariners may be the team for you.
Some people love to back a long shot, so why not go for the Marlins, Braves, D-Backs, White Sox, Padres, Athletics, Rays, Phillies, Twins or Reds?
Or maybe you like to back the no hoper? The three legged donkey who's somehow got himself a run in the Grand National? Then the Milwaukee Brewers are for you!

My money's on the Red Sox, but as a long time fan, that's based on hope rather than expectation!

Some of you will disagree with my groupings above, but of course, there's no right answer until the end of the final game in October, and it all starts next Sunday.
Let's play ball!

Comments

• Follow the DBacks, who had a pretty crap season last time around
  • Astros appear to have strengthened well but the worry is they're still lacking a rotation pitcher.
  • Will be interesting to see if the Cubs can repeat the miracle.

I think the Mets might go a long way but as ever go Cards
  • I always find it so difficult to predict at the beginning of the season.
    Having said that, I really expect the eventual winner to come from the top six I've named in the OP and I'd be surprised if it's anyone below my top 13, but what do I know?

Anyway, I'm interested to see in October just how right (or wrong) I've got it, so here's my predictions for each division:

AL East:
    Red Sox
    Blue Jays
    Yanks
    Orioles
    Rays

AL Central:
    Indians
    Tigers
    Royals
    White Sox
    Twins

AL West
    Rangers
    Astros
    Mariners
    Angels
    Athletics

Wildcards: Blue Jays and Astros

NL East
    Nats
    Mets
    Braves
    Marlins
    Phillies

NL Central
    Cubs
    Cards
    Pirates
    Reds
    Brewers

NL West
    Dodgers
    Giants
    Rockies
    D-Backs
    Padres

Wildcards: Mets and Giants

I just love it. Roll on Sunday. :smiley:
  • "reigning World Series Champs Chicago Cubs"

A phrase I never thought I'd read or hear in my lifetime.

I've got no idea who's going to win what but I'm hoping for a strong showing from the Mets. I like NY, but I've got no time for the ManU of baseball, the Knicks.

I've got no idea who's going to win what but I'm hoping for a strong showing from the Mets. I like NY, but I've got no time for the ManU of baseball, the Knicks.

Don't think the Knicks will ever win the world series
  • Much of the focus has been on our (Red Sox) rotation of Sale, Price, Porcello - the three aces. I think the real stars are the outfield - Betts, Benintendi and Bradley are everything you would want in a trio. Even Sandoval is looking back to his Giants form.... Cautiously optimistic....

To be fair that's what they used to say about the Cubs.
  • Will be very odd not seeing Big Papi stepping up to the plate.

Think Red Sox do look strong but who knows what will happen. Can't wait for it to get started.
  • Fiiish said:

"reigning World Series Champs Chicago Cubs"

Yes, but at least the Cubs are a baseball team. The Knicks play basketball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

I know, that was the joke.
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

No, that was my joke that you walked over
  • Boston sports radio is in full preseason form. It starts as optimism, then begins to question whether the young players are really as good as people think, and how can the possibly replace Ortiz, continued questions about whether Price can really pitch in Boston, and then, as soon as he's hurt, how can they possibly win without him.

It's going to be a long summer.
  • Sox wise I'm a bit concerned.

Our rotation was meant to be a strength but Price could be out until May, Pomeranz struggled in the second half and Wright hasn't really recovered since the idiotic pinch run decision. E-Rod could be the new buchholz, with electric stuff but struggles to put it all together. Sale and Porcello look good but we need more than two strong starters.

The bullpen is a work in progress - Kimbrel, Smith need to be healthy, Koji and Taz have gone, who knows what Joe Kelly will be like?

Defensively I think we are sound and could surprise with a few gold glove performances.

Offensively Sandoval struggled to get walks this spring, I don't believe Sandy Leon will be as hot this season as last and we have a massive #34 sized hole in the middle of the lineup. We have potential but a lot of risks as well.

I remember the old days when the AL East was king, now I feel the Sox can win it with a barely above average team.

The NL East and Central feel very strong and then you have the Dodgers in the West. On the AL side I just don't see teams that are as strong as their NL counterparts at the top.
  • Looking forward to the new season. Hoping my Dodgers can make a run at it, looks likely we will again be battling with the Giants for the NL West, who knows what happens from there. Cubs look sure to be there or thereabouts again, other than that the other contenders look fairly predictable. I keep thinking that with the likes of Trout & Pujols the Angels should be more of a contender but the pitching seems to let them down.
  • edited March 2017

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Your joke was that the Knicks are a basketball team and so cannot win the World Series.

My joke was that the Cubs' record used to be so bad their chances of winning the World Series compared to that of a basketball team's.

It's not as funny if you have to explain it...

Obligatory whooooosh.

:smile:
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Your joke was that the Knicks are a basketball team and so cannot win the World Series.

My joke was that the Cubs' record used to be so bad their chances of winning the World Series compared to that of a basketball team's.

Obligatory whooooosh.

But you had to explain it as I'd already made the joke that you then walked over my joke.

No whooosh
  • Thread ruined already.
  • Oakland A's fan but once again we will be looking like the cellar dwellers of the AL West.

Yes, my mistake. Yankees, not Knicks.
  • Sponsored links:

Yes, my mistake. Yankees, not Knicks.
    Don't spoil it for @Fiiish he spent hours trying to make a joke out of that
  • Go Rays - however think it will be much of the same as last season, still have a lady Godiva on them though at 50-1
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Obligatory whooooosh.

But you had to explain it as I'd already made the joke that you then walked over my joke.

No whooosh
    "Walked" in a post about baseball. Very clever, Henry.
  • The Braves have ditched the city of Atlanta and will open the new season out in the suburbs at a brand new stadium. Their timing couldn't be worse with Atlanta United kicking off their first season in MLS and packing games out in the center of the city. Their is so much indifference towards the Bravos right now that it'll be interesting to see how the summer unfolds.
  • The last two seasons I've been playing some fantasy baseball, it has been quite fun and a fantastic way to learn a lot about different players and teams. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the 17 season version yet - but there should be a few other fantasy games out there, Yahoo's version amongst others.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/

Would anyone be interested in making a league if possible?
  • I've got a couple of teams on Yahoo. I think we might struggle to find enough people and get a draft done soon. I'd be up for it if enough people are.
  • I used to do the MLB fantasy leagues on Yahoo. I'd be up for it if you can round up enough folks in time.
  • http://m.mlb.com/video/v1254679983/chcstl-grichuk-comes-through-with-walkoff-single

Cards beat the Cubs in the opening game 4 - 3 with a walk off single. We're back.

And the new intentional walk rule was used. Looks odd but should speed the game up.

Yankees and Giants lost too.
  • edited April 2017

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1254679983/chcstl-grichuk-comes-through-with-walkoff-single

Cards beat the Cubs in the opening game 4 - 3 with a walk off single. We're back.

And the new intentional walk rule was used. Looks odd but should speed the game up.

Sorry, what sport is this? Did you really use 'we'!?

And didn't you know it's Paris-Roubaix next weekend? Possibly the best single day sports event in the world!
  • JamesSeed said:

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1254679983/chcstl-grichuk-comes-through-with-walkoff-single

Sorry, what sport is this? Did you really use 'we'!?

And didn't you know it's Paris-Roubaix next weekend? Possibly the best single day sports event in the world!
    The world's second best sport after football.

And of course I say "we" as I'm a Cards fan