Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martin McGuiness dead

Comments

• Options

Isn'the acknowledging the "good" he done just doing things on his terms? i.e. I'm gonna be directly and indirectly involved in bombings, shootings and beatings, then once I've had enough of doing that, I'll go about it the acceptable way. The way that most of the people I've killed tried to do it from the start

If it wasn't him it would have been someone else carrying out all those hateful acts. The difference is who's to say that whoever that other person was would have looked to engage in the peace process? Obviously we'll never know the answer but at least that was a good thing he did. Again I'm not sure it will ever absolve him of all he was responsible for but even bad people can do good things.
  • Options

Every death is, in some way, a tragedy, including those with which Martin McGuinness was associated during the Troubles, but also his own.

I hold no truck with the IRA, or any other terrorist organisation, but, in any conflict resolution with such groups, it is necessary to talk with men of violence. It is equally necessary that those with whom you talk can bring their colleagues with them away from the bullets and bombs to the ballot box. In this McGuinness (and Adams) were hugely successful, and across the world you see other similar groups attempt to mimic their success. With the loss of David Ervine, the loyalist terrorists lost their only hope of a similar leader.

I don't have to like people to be able and willing to work with them (though the evidence suggests that McGuinness was personally likeable), it's the result that matters.

I will say RIP, because in my mind that is associated with others living in peace. The truth is that Northern Ireland can little afford to lose him, as with Ian Paisley (and who would have thought in the 1980s and 1990s that that might be the case), particularly with the additional pressures of today's politics.

Good to hear your thoughts on this, being as you are Northern Irish and still live there.
  • Options
    all we want know is to get our new owners
  • Options

Every death is, in some way, a tragedy, including those with which Martin McGuinness was associated during the Troubles, but also his own.

I hold no truck with the IRA, or any other terrorist organisation, but, in any conflict resolution with such groups, it is necessary to talk with men of violence. It is equally necessary that those with whom you talk can bring their colleagues with them away from the bullets and bombs to the ballot box. In this McGuinness (and Adams) were hugely successful, and across the world you see other similar groups attempt to mimic their success. With the loss of David Ervine, the loyalist terrorists lost their only hope of a similar leader.

I don't have to like people to be able and willing to work with them (though the evidence suggests that McGuinness was personally likeable), it's the result that matters.

I will say RIP, because in my mind that is associated with others living in peace. The truth is that Northern Ireland can little afford to lose him, as with Ian Paisley (and who would have thought in the 1980s and 1990s that that might be the case), particularly with the additional pressures of today's politics.

Good to hear your thoughts on this, being as you are Northern Irish and still live there.
    I think that should be the definitive post on this matter.

• Options
    Used to know a guy years ago whose sister was badly injured in the Birmingham pub bombing. Lost touch now, but I know if she is still alive, she'll be toasting his death this morning. Blowing up civilians in a pub to "free" Ireland. Psychos.
    McGuiness never uttered one word of remorse even after the implementation of the peace process. Cowardly scum, and that applies to all sectarian killers in NI whatever their "side".
    Rot in hell.
  • Options
    How nice to wake up to good news for a change!
  • Options
    masicat said:

66 is the devils number. Nuff said.

Its 666 , and the anti-christ ( the beast )rather than the devil
  • Options
    RIH
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Isn'the acknowledging the "good" he done just doing things on his terms? i.e. I'm gonna be directly and indirectly involved in bombings, shootings and beatings, then once I've had enough of doing that, I'll go about it the acceptable way. The way that most of the people I've killed tried to do it from the start

If it wasn't him it would have been someone else carrying out all those hateful acts. The difference is who's to say that whoever that other person was would have looked to engage in the peace process? Obviously we'll never know the answer but at least that was a good thing he did. Again I'm not sure it will ever absolve him of all he was responsible for but even bad people can do good things.
    Only if they chose violence in the first place
  • Options

I think that should be the definitive post on this matter.

Yes and no - the peace process and political solution is for the people of Northern Ireland - the terrorism affected the whole of the British Isles. Someone from Woolwich, Warrington, Guildford, Birmingham et al have a valid opinion.

He was instrumental in the death and torture of many innocent people, and he was also instrumental in bringing that death and torture to an end. As others have said - two lives.
  • Options
    dogpat65 said:

Pretty much as I expected on here. a Mixture of well thought commentary vs lynchmob.com

As a person who grew up in the midst of the troubles, and have been impacted by the effects of both sides of the paramilitary sects and religious fiefdoms, I struggle to reconcile the respect that Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness both garnered as a result of them just "growing up" to recognise the chaos they created or helped to maintain.

I hold them both and their unionist, republican and their british government cohorts responsible for exacerbating and extending the longevity of the troubles, and directly resulting in the loss of life on all sides.

That said, they did eventually come along with the likes of John Hume and David Irvine (a man who fell for the sectarian rhetoric but quickly realised that those in power only wanted to remain in power, and not change) and have created a new life for the people in Ireland and Britain.

Northern Ireland is a better place to live in now. It is still a beautiful country, and for my nieces and nephews, still living there, they dont experience the level of bigotry and sectarianism that I have, and have been able to have a life without grenades, bomb threats and intimidation. However the current democracy is a committee designed omnishambles, and we need to move forward to make it better. We will not tdo that until all of the historic figures are long gone.

Whatever Ian and Martin belived in terms of afterlife, I fully expect them to be together. Rest

Oh the irony
  • Options
    I think dogpat65 has got it right, nothing more to be said.
  • Options
    Good! Scheming, murdering bastard!!
  • Options

Give it till 09:00 GMT

If you wanna know what I'd do, Cabes, sink it like the Titanic.

With this and article 50, it certainly feels like a meaty challenge to get my teeth into.

I'll just say what Alan Partridge said. "Looks like a Clown without makeup". Or was that Gerry Adams
  • Options
    dogpat65 said:

Pretty much as I expected on here. a Mixture of well thought commentary vs lynchmob.com

As a person who grew up in the midst of the troubles, and have been impacted by the effects of both sides of the paramilitary sects and religious fiefdoms, I struggle to reconcile the respect that Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness both garnered as a result of them just "growing up" to recognise the chaos they created or helped to maintain.

I hold them both and their unionist, republican and their british government cohorts responsible for exacerbating and extending the longevity of the troubles, and directly resulting in the loss of life on all sides.

That said, they did eventually come along with the likes of John Hume and David Irvine (a man who fell for the sectarian rhetoric but quickly realised that those in power only wanted to remain in power, and not change) and have created a new life for the people in Ireland and Britain.

Northern Ireland is a better place to live in now. It is still a beautiful country, and for my nieces and nephews, still living there, they dont experience the level of bigotry and sectarianism that I have, and have been able to have a life without grenades, bomb threats and intimidation. However the current democracy is a committee designed omnishambles, and we need to move forward to make it better. We will not tdo that until all of the historic figures are long gone.

Whatever Ian and Martin belived in terms of afterlife, I fully expect them to be together. Rest

Well put.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Heard an interview with a guy this morning whose son was murdered by an IRA bombing. He has since gone on through talks and the peace process to form what he describes as an amiable friendship with McGuinness and was (with mixed emotions) saddened by his death.

He's a better man than me

If it's the bloke I think it is, yesterday was the 24th anniversary of his sons and another young lads death.

This kind of act was "the sharp end of the IRA" as Machine Gun Marty once put it.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Mr Tatters spent his teenage years serving in NI. He lost a friend - he was shot dead by the IRA. All I know is that thanks to McGuiness he is still affected by his time there today.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

No emotion here, no anger, no rejoicing no relief.

Twenty nine years ago last Sunday since a good friend and comrade Derek Woods was killed on the Andersontown Road along with David Howes, both in my regiment. I was young then and still feel as young now but events catch up with us all in the end. I still cant work the whole NI thing out and gave up trying a long time ago.

Like all of the attacks/murders during 'the troubles', that was an horrific event Clive. I guess what made it even worse (in the mind) was that it was captured on TV.

I had only been serving 3 years at the time but it had a big impact on me. Apparently they were doing a 'handover' and were on an area familiarisation and took a wrong turn. Is that correct mate?
  • Options

SE7toSG3 said:

Twenty nine years ago last Sunday since a good friend and comrade Derek Woods was killed on the Andersontown Road along with David Howes, both in my regiment. I was young then and still feel as young now but events catch up with us all in the end. I still cant work the whole NI thing out and gave up trying a long time ago.

Like all of the attacks/murders during 'the troubles', that was an horrific event Clive. I guess what made it even worse (in the mind) was that it was captured on TV.

I had only been serving 3 years at the time but it had a big impact on me. Apparently they were doing a 'handover' and were on an area familiarisation and took a wrong turn. Is that correct mate?
    During that funeral?

Lynched, stripped naked and executed in the street.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Trying to find something good to say about him..........sorry, despite trying very hard, I can't.
    And I'd say the same about Paisley.
  • Options

SE7toSG3 said:

During that funeral?

Lynched, stripped naked and executed in the street.

That's the one mate.
  • Options

SE7toSG3 said:

Yep pretty much, 14 Int Bde if you remember those days, I have always blamed Michael Stone as much for chucking grenades around in Milltown Cem a few days earlier.

I joined in Feb 85 (the day after the Spurs replay at the Valley) and Derek was one of permenant staff. We stayed in touch and I was attached to 1/RGJ when he was killed. I occassionally lay a wreath on behalf of 14 Int at David Howes grave in Bedfordshire though ot all seems a lifetime ago now. My son wouldnt even know who the IRA were!
  • Options
    terrorist or freedom fighter ?

murderer or peacemaker ?

i would have had a lot more time for him if he had acknowledged his wrongdoings before accepting the acclaim he had later in his "career" ...well i dont know too much about Catholicism but if he didnt confess and receive absolution then its purgatory for him

• Options
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SE7toSG3 said:

SE7toSG3 said:

Yep pretty much, 14 Int Bde if you remember those days, I have always blamed Michael Stone as much for chucking grenades around in Milltown Cem a few days earlier.

I joined in Feb 85 (the day after the Spurs replay at the Valley) and Derek was one of permenant staff. We stayed in touch and I was attached to 1/RGJ when he was killed. I occassionally lay a wreath on behalf of 14 Int at David Howes grave in Bedfordshire though ot all seems a lifetime ago now. My son wouldnt even know who the IRA were!
    Ain't that true though.

My Grandmother never recovered from the death at the hands of the IRA (or its precursor) in 1919 (nineteen fecking nineteen) of her oldest brother. Charlie was out of work in South East London, so joined the army. Shot aged 19.

All those years ago.

As for McGuiness... Rot