Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Travel Advice...(Tourism and pleasure)

124»

Comments

• Options

didnt know where else to stick this, applied and paid for a us esta last week, the payment has cleared yet everytime i log in and check my application it just says application expired, there are no helplines available etc.

any ideas.

Only one and I agree it's not very good! Have you previously had an ESTA? Have you put in the old reference number rather than the new one?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

didnt know where else to stick this, applied and paid for a us esta last week, the payment has cleared yet everytime i log in and check my application it just says application expired, there are no helplines available etc.

any ideas.

Only one and I agree it's not very good! Have you previously had an ESTA? Have you put in the old reference number rather than the new one?
    previously had one which expired in 2015 on the same passport number, as pedro says it might take a couple of weeks, as they had taken the approved payment of 14 dollars as opposed to the unapproved payment of 4 dollars thought it would go through, but ill wait it out for a few weeks forunately not heading out there till october so have plenty of time.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Shouldn't take that long, or anywhere near! Their website says 20 minutes. The longest I've had to wait was 72 hours but I applied over a weekend which included a US public holiday, so that might have held it up. I guess their system was taken down for maintenance. BUT when I had that delay the web page said "application pending" not "application expired" like yours.

Here's a link to the "got a question" page which allows you to submit queries. https://help.cbp.gov/app/forms/complaint/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ5OTE1NTkwNi9zaWQvNDFDTmVLbW4%3D

There's also the FAQs here which might help. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/list/kw/esta/search/1
  • Options
    only one scenario i can imagine is i paid via paypal and the payment only cleared yesterday today being 4th july is a national holiday so that's why it may not of been done.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
  • Options

I'm off to Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia next month. Was just wondering if people on here had advice on those countries, particularly Ecuador as not too many people seem to have been. Done a bit of research online but always good to get a Charlton Life perspective rather than just reddit.

Colombia is the country I'm looking forward to the most apparently had a big tourist boom in the last 5 years or so.

Also @Dave2I how is your trip going?

cheers!

Hello. We spent 3 days in Quito, Ecuador, around a Galapagos Cruise. Not that much there, some nice museums and the old town is worth visiting. There is a touristy area (forget the name) where there are plenty of bars etc. Met a few people who were going out into the countryside which sounded good. People very friendly and felt quite safe. The altitude got me a bit though I am Asthmatic. Airport about a $30 cab ride out of town.
    Like @Hertsseasider , I spent 3 nights in Quito, before a 10 day Galapagos cruise (after we'd been to the Amazon Rainforest in northern Ecuador).

The Galapagos Islands is the most amazing place I've ever been so would highly recommend, although it isn't cheap! With regards to Quito, the old town is certainly worth spending some time, and I would also recommend spending a morning taking the cable car up to the top of the volcano overlooking the city, the views are incredible.

The Amazon rainforest was also an experience of a lifetime, although if you want to do it properly I'd recommend going to one of the really remote lodges (which will cost you time and £!) - if you're interested I can certainly recommend some of the places we stayed.
    Going to do the same thing in a few days time.