Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Travel Advice...(Tourism and pleasure)

Comments

• I'm off to Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia next month. Was just wondering if people on here had advice on those countries, particularly Ecuador as not too many people seem to have been. Done a bit of research online but always good to get a Charlton Life perspective rather than just reddit.

Colombia is the country I'm looking forward to the most apparently had a big tourist boom in the last 5 years or so.

Also @Dave2I how is your trip going?

cheers!

Hello. We spent 3 days in Quito, Ecuador, around a Galapagos Cruise. Not that much there, some nice museums and the old town is worth visiting. There is a touristy area (forget the name) where there are plenty of bars etc. Met a few people who were going out into the countryside which sounded good. People very friendly and felt quite safe. The altitude got me a bit though I am Asthmatic. Airport about a $30 cab ride out of town.
    Like @Hertsseasider , I spent 3 nights in Quito, before a 10 day Galapagos cruise (after we'd been to the Amazon Rainforest in northern Ecuador).

The Galapagos Islands is the most amazing place I've ever been so would highly recommend, although it isn't cheap! With regards to Quito, the old town is certainly worth spending some time, and I would also recommend spending a morning taking the cable car up to the top of the volcano overlooking the city, the views are incredible.

The Amazon rainforest was also an experience of a lifetime, although if you want to do it properly I'd recommend going to one of the really remote lodges (which will cost you time and £!) - if you're interested I can certainly recommend some of the places we stayed.
  • The best 4 days of my life was spent in Grizzly Bear Ranch in Canada.
  • edited April 2017
    PeterGage said:

Good morning - advice please.

I have travelled to 86 different countries/Islands, covering all continents.

My wife and I are holidaying in Miami in September for the first time. We have, on our radar, trips to the Everglades, Florida Keys and a shark watch trip (although I doubt the latter will compare with our Great White cage dive adventure in Cape Town!). We also understand that an evening visit to Ocean Drive for social and eating experiences, is worthwhile.

Grateful for any other advice on places to see whilst we are there (not interested, at our advanced age, for such young attractions as theme parks).

Thanks in advance.

Okay, maybe a little off the wall but if you don't mind a drive north up Highway 1, how about a visit to the Jonathon Dickinson State Park just north of Palm Beach? The park itself is utterly unremarkable but its residents are not. There's a bunch of endangered Florida Scrub-Jays (at least there was when I was there!). Setting aside the fact that these are rare and beautiful birds, this little lot are almost entirely tame (take some unsalted peanuts) and a complete delight. Expect some great photos. I'll post up an example when I'm on my other machine.
    For a good everglades experience I'd recommend the Shark Valley Visitor Centre in the National Park it's just off US 41 aka The Taminami Trail. You can get up close and personal with the gators some of which are huge. You can then either take a tram tour, get a cycle rental or walk the trail to the observation deck. A good trip which cuts out any point in getting one of those air boat ride thingies. (My favourite Everglades place is the Corkscrew Swamp sanctuary but that's way over on the Gulf coast.)

Edited to add: sorry I got the place name wrong! Doh! Should have been Indrio Savannahs Preserve just north of Fort Pierce (the other place I mentioned does have the birds too though I think). If you're heading up that way the Morikami Park (with its Japanese garden) is excellent. When I went there it had an adjacent American Orchid Society place which was good to. But I think that has moved elsewhere now, maybe back to Miami? Anyway here's a scrub-jay:

• colthe3rd said:

Dave2l said:

Just arrived in Vancouver.

From what I've seen of it so far, it's an absolute dump

Wouldn't say it's a dump. It's not a huge city and not an awful lot to do but it's nice enough. Vancouver Island is lovely though.
    Ok here's the story.

My hotel was on Hastings (east side or something). Which is in fact officially known as the worst neighbourhood in the whole of Canada.
    That's my 1st impression obviously being rather distorted.

You get what you pay for I guess. I opted for the especially cheap hotel and got that exact worth.

It's a sad little spot. Crack heads everywhere.
    It really is the walking dead. They do walk like zombies. It's genuinely quite sad.

A lot of Asian (nothing wrong with that) and elderly people that can't weigh anymore then 8st.

It's a mess. Lot of deals in broad daylight on the street, homeless prostitution and unfortunately a severe case of jobless no hope.

As you start to leave that area, it's alright. Took a while.

Arrived on Vancouver island via ferry sitting in Starbucks waiting to get picked up.

• Dave2l said:

Get yourself a cab to Fogo Island
    A cab to fogo island from here.

The the absolute far west to east of Canada.

Probably be the weirdest cab journey of all time. Would take maybe a week.

Im interested in newfounland (apparently they have a rather Geordie North American accent rolled into one)

but for another life.
  • Key West is brilliant, if you like driving the road down from Miami is pretty cool.

Everglades was pretty fun, we rented a canoe, strapped it to the top of our rental car and went and found some trails. Watch out though... they're not all that well marked and we got lost a couple of times and very nearly didn't make it in before the sun went down.

Sounds a waste of a canoe rental there.

Strapped it to the roof and then when walking.
  • PeterGage said:

My wife and I are holidaying in Miami in September for the first time. We have, on our radar, trips to the Everglades, Florida Keys and a shark watch trip (although I doubt the latter will compare with our Great White cage dive adventure in Cape Town!). We also understand that an evening visit to Ocean Drive for social and eating experiences, is worthwhile.

Grateful for any other advice on places to see whilst we are there (not interested, at our advanced age, for such young attractions as theme parks).

Thanks in advance.

Went to Key West in September 2002 for my sister in laws wedding lovely place and a wonderful drive down from Orlando area...there was the Lesbian Festival on while we were there....we had a great laugh with some of them but it was pretty wild so may be worth checking out when that is on....if its not your cup of tea Peter.
  • cafcfan said:

PeterGage said:

Thanks in advance.

Okay, maybe a little off the wall but if you don't mind a drive north up Highway 1, how about a visit to the Jonathon Dickinson State Park just north of Palm Beach? The park itself is utterly unremarkable but its residents are not. There's a bunch of endangered Florida Scrub-Jays (at least there was when I was there!). Setting aside the fact that these are rare and beautiful birds, this little lot are almost entirely tame (take some unsalted peanuts) and a complete delight. Expect some great photos. I'll post up an example when I'm on my other machine.
    For a good everglades experience I'd recommend the Shark Valley Visitor Centre in the National Park it's just off US 41 aka The Taminami Trail. You can get up close and personal with the gators some of which are huge. You can then either take a tram tour, get a cycle rental or walk the trail to the observation deck. A good trip which cuts out any point in getting one of those air boat ride thingies. (My favourite Everglades place is the Corkscrew Swamp sanctuary but that's way over on the Gulf coast.)

Edited to add: sorry I got the place name wrong! Doh! Should have been Indrio Savannahs Preserve just north of Fort Pierce (the other place I mentioned does have the birds too though I think). If you're heading up that way the Morikami Park (with its Japanese garden) is excellent. When I went there it had an adjacent American Orchid Society place which was good to. But I think that has moved elsewhere now, maybe back to Miami? Anyway here's a scrub-jay:

Thanks @cafcfan for taking the time for posting so much information: I am really grateful.

I will certainly consider your options, particularly the bit about the Everglades. I mention that because on Viator, for example, there are many Everglade tours on offer and it is difficult to determine which is the best in terms of variety and good value for money.
  • Dave2l said:

Boom said:

I know you haven't mentioned it but recommend Brazil particularly rio.

Where u going in Texas? We're going on the way to Mexico this year. We're thinking Austin and San Antonio. Both look good.

Yes I was thinking Austin Texas.

Maybe Houston.

My geography of Texas is probably a bit inaccurate considering i have a vision in my mind of it being like an old Western where everyone's got a horse.

Also a revolver in their back pocket
    If you're anywhere near Houston why not visit Addicks......a small town west of the city.
    Get a photo of yourself alongside the Addicks road sign for a laugh!
  • Dave2l said:

Dave2l said:

Get yourself a cab to Fogo Island
    A cab to fogo island from here.

The the absolute far west to east of Canada.

Probably be the weirdest cab journey of all time. Would take maybe a week.

Im interested in newfounland (apparently they have a rather Geordie North American accent rolled into one)

but for another life.
    Pure Irish accents on Fogo Island mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Wasn't Fogo one of the dwarfs (vertically challenged) in the Lord of the Ring?
  • edited April 2017
    Not sure mate, but 1 in 7 dwarfs ain't Happy
  • Olduns are the best
  • I hope this is a no brainer but when on holiday always always always buy insurance. The number of 'fit and healthy' people that ive taken money off down the years is beyond belief. It is always the same 'im healthy i did not think i needed insurance'
  • Not sure mate, but 1 in 7 dwarfs ain't Happy

6 out of 7, surely.

Standards are slipping on here.
  • Will be in California (LA) by the weekend.

Anyone been?

Any general advice hints or tips via places to go accommodation and so on?
    Done bit of research but suppose you can never really do enough.

Thanks

• Dave2l said:

Will be in California (LA) by the weekend.

Anyone been?

Thanks

Disneyland is fun. Compton is not.
  • Pedro45 said:

Dave2l said:

Will be in California (LA) by the weekend.

Anyone been?

Thanks

Disneyland is fun. Compton is not.
    Didn't even know there was a Disneyland there.

Doesn't sound like something I would be particularly interested in.
  • I'm now in Vegas. Anyone been? Tips?

Spunked a small sum on blackjack. It ain't my thing.

Was pretty unlucky to be fair.

I'd like to go to a shooting range to test my aim.

Not crazy machine guns though.
  • Solidgone said:

Wasn't Fogo one of the dwarfs (vertically challenged) in the Lord of the Ring?

Also one of the Cape Verde islands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave2l said:

I'm now in Vegas. Anyone been? Tips?

Go up to the top of Stratosphere and do the rides up there....
  • Dave2l said:

We went to Discount Guns and Ammo just off the strip, they have several different packages depending on how many of you and what you want to fire.

There were 5 of us and we got to fire six different weapons, they also provide a shuttle to pick you up and take you back.
  • We are off to Sardinia in 4 weeks, never been before, anyone on here been?
  • iaitch said:

Dave2l said:

We went to Discount Guns and Ammo just off the strip, they have several different packages depending on how many of you and what you want to fire.

There were 5 of us and we got to fire six different weapons, they also provide a shuttle to pick you up and take you back.
    Cool.

I'm on my own so I just do whatever the hells easier.

Went Boulevard strip gun club.

Shot the crap out of a target with revolver. (Ruger Redhauk super). Nearly ripped the thing off.

Take that Roland!

(Lot of recoil)
  • Flying to Peru on Saturday. I look forward to that.

Lot of Brits in Vegas. Cramping my style a bit trying to chat up a hooters woman that "completely obviously fancies the hell out of me"....
  • Dave2l said:

I will be on a budget and want to take money home with me so I really do not want to spend unnecessarily on things I may not actually need

you really need to forget about vegas
  • rina said:

Dave2l said:

I will be on a budget and want to take money home with me so I really do not want to spend unnecessarily on things I may not actually need

you really need to forget about vegas
    Stayed longer then I wanted to. Flying out tomorrow.
  • We are off to Sardinia in 4 weeks, never been before, anyone on here been?

Went to Cagliari at easter. Very nice. Lots of hills and narrow streets in the old town. Decent restaurants and lovely people. OK beach at Poetto. Easy to get from the airport into town by train. Stayed in a small b&b with a great manager.
  • didnt know where else to stick this, applied and paid for a us esta last week, the payment has cleared yet everytime i log in and check my application it just says application expired, there are no helplines available etc.

any ideas.
  • didnt know where else to stick this, applied and paid for a us esta last week, the payment has cleared yet everytime i log in and check my application it just says application expired, there are no helplines available etc.

any ideas.

I did my renewal last month, and gave it a couple of weeks to clear; now says approved. If you took down the application number (a 20+ long letter/digit combo) and test on that rather than using your passport details, you may get a different answer?