Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Travel Advice...(Tourism and pleasure)

Comments

• Options

Dave2l said:

TEL said:

Ex girlfriend was Colombian and she said its a pretty dangerous place for visitors, so be careful mate.

Indeed. Always the risk of being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I can imagine quite a hostile attitude from certain people.

Get robbed, get beaten up. Do not want that.
    I don't agree with this. I travelled round Colombia for 2 weeks last year and have travelled round a fair bit of the rest of south america. I know it was very bad 10 and 20 years ago but from what I saw it's way better now. Obviously in the wrong areas you could be threatened like in most of Latin America, a few dodgy looks etc but I saw nothing to feel any more threatened than I would have or was in Peru, Bolivia, Brazil. I loved Colombia and some of the locals were class. Think you'd be mad to miss it. Medellin in particular was a cracking place .
    My poor assumption of southern America is that it will be like the film special correspondents...
  • Options
    I'm off to Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia next month. Was just wondering if people on here had advice on those countries, particularly Ecuador as not too many people seem to have been. Done a bit of research online but always good to get a Charlton Life perspective rather than just reddit.

Colombia is the country I'm looking forward to the most apparently had a big tourist boom in the last 5 years or so.

Also @Dave2I how is your trip going?

cheers!
  • Options

I'm off to Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia next month. Was just wondering if people on here had advice on those countries, particularly Ecuador as not too many people seem to have been. Done a bit of research online but always good to get a Charlton Life perspective rather than just reddit.

Colombia is the country I'm looking forward to the most apparently had a big tourist boom in the last 5 years or so.

cheers!

Currently in a place called Banff. Might leave this afternoon and get a 16 hour coach to Vancouver.

Canada's surprisingly expensive. Especially tourist areas . Unless you have work here in the place you want to go.
    It's very much a get in get out job.

If you do get work here....get a job with tips! Especially the seasonal times like summer and winter. You are laughing. Probably not having much actual fun but still , it's good.

I made the mistake of staying in same spot for too long.

Got thousands of pictures of jasper/Banff and the ride between them. Very scenic, full of mountains.

I won't stay in Vancouver for too long. Gana go straight to the US
    and won't stop moving.

Then hopefully go South America, like yourself.
    The destinations you mentioned are also on my list.

I was on a train from Toronto to Alberta, jasper.
    70 hours that took.

Saw a couple of bears as for some reason they seem to like train tracks.

Never to repeat that journey! No bed. Was rough. Good window views etc

• Options

cheers!

Hello. We spent 3 days in Quito, Ecuador, around a Galapagos Cruise. Not that much there, some nice museums and the old town is worth visiting. There is a touristy area (forget the name) where there are plenty of bars etc. Met a few people who were going out into the countryside which sounded good. People very friendly and felt quite safe. The altitude got me a bit though I am Asthmatic. Airport about a $30 cab ride out of town.
  • Options

cheers!

Don't miss the salt lake in Bolivia if you can do a 4 wheel drive tour...3 nights from Uyuni to San Pedro de Atacama (Chile). La Paz was a good laugh, bit of a mad city but safe enough. Lake Titicaca is worth a visit to....and then there's the train journey from Puno to Cuzco...being an addick you would enjoy that. Cuzco is a nice place...and from there you can organise the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. They eat Guinea pigs in Peru....we didn't the smell was quite off putting. Never went to Colombia or Ecuador so can't really advise on those.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Indonesia is no problem, on arrival, done it many times.

Going to Lombok next month, will let you know how it differs to Bali.
  • Options
    I've been to Ecuador.

Banos is cool, it's surrounded by volcanoes, it has thermal baths and you can cycle to the edge of the Amazon. If you want to visit the Amazon basin it's the easiest place in South America to get in there and see wildlife, wilderness etc (there's also a bus to/from Puyo)

Guayaquil is a nothing town. One park has loads of wild iguanas though.

Quito is cool enough for say 3 nights. I had my passport stolen on a bus between there and Banos so got stuck there for far longer than I'd have liked. The equator is really boring, the football stadium is easily done by taxi.

I've been to more places in Colombia so am happy to write a bit about them too. Medellin is indeed well worth it.
  • Options
    Tourism and pleasure you say......image
  • Options
    Thailand's overrated. There's animal exploitation everywhere and you're constantly harassed for your attention/money, plus many parts are full of obnoxious tourists.

There are of course beautiful, quiet places and there is fun to be had, but as an overall travel experience South America knocks the spots off SE Asia.
  • Options

cheers!

Bon voyage @NomadicAddick - living up to your username :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My mate recommended Honduras in Central America and Cambodia in south east Asia.

Anyone have any advice on those?

Good/bad.

Is he my mate?
  • Options
    If you're in La Paz perhaps visit San Pedro prison. You can visit the prison, stay the night and then walk out the next day. Look it up - or read Thomas Macfaddens story called Marching Powder

Sounds fascinating
  • Options
    I spent three months driving across America. If i was doing it again, I'd take a tent and camp out more, especially in the state parks and southern states. You will save a fortune and really get to see another side of the USA.

Go Texas, drive the 170 along the Rio Grand before they build that wall. One of the best things I've done in my life, It was a perfect day.
  • Options
    Did anyone see the thing last night about Fogo Island? I could live there, let alone stay there
  • Options
    Just arrived in Vancouver.

From what I've seen of it so far, it's an absolute dump
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Get yourself a cab to Fogo Island
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Last time I was there, driving in from the airport, I thought we'd landed in the 1950's. A humming metropolis it was not.
  • Options

Dave2l said:

Last time I was there, driving in from the airport, I thought we'd landed in the 1950's. A humming metropolis it was not.
    You shoulda gone Fogo Island
  • Options

Dave2l said:

You shoulda gone Fogo Island
    That looks like somewhere I'd like to spend 15 minutes waiting for the ferry.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Wouldn't say it's a dump. It's not a huge city and not an awful lot to do but it's nice enough. Vancouver Island is lovely though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Dave2l said:

Wouldn't say it's a dump. It's not a huge city and not an awful lot to do but it's nice enough. Vancouver Island is lovely though.
    Not as nice as Fogo Island
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Dave2l said:

You can say that again.
  • Options
  • Options
    Don't miss...
  • Options
    Good morning - advice please.

I have travelled to 86 different countries/Islands, covering all continents.

My wife and I are holidaying in Miami in September for the first time. We have, on our radar, trips to the Everglades, Florida Keys and a shark watch trip (although I doubt the latter will compare with our Great White cage dive adventure in Cape Town!). We also understand that an evening visit to Ocean Drive for social and eating experiences, is worthwhile.

Grateful for any other advice on places to see whilst we are there (not interested, at our advanced age, for such young attractions as theme parks).

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Been to Key West a few times and love it there . Stay or eat at sunset key if you want a bit of peace n quiet
  • Options
    Shag said:

Been to Key West a few times and love it there . Stay or eat at sunset key if you want a bit of peace n quiet

Thanks Shag
  • Options
    Key West is brilliant, if you like driving the road down from Miami is pretty cool.

Everglades was pretty fun, we rented a canoe, strapped it to the top of our rental car and went and found some trails. Watch out though... they're not all that well marked and we got lost a couple of times and very nearly didn't make it in before the sun went down.
  • Options
    Key West - Get the boat out on a day trip to the Dry Tortugas. Visit the Hemingway house. Lift a real gold bar in Pirate Soul.
  • Options
    Thanks @Oh_Yoni_Boy and @Pedro45 - I will look at these opportunities to see if they fit our sightseeing requirements