Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The last ever greyhound meeting in London/Wimbledon Saturday 25th March

13»

Comments

• edited March 2017
    I went to the last meeting at White City (the one that was supposed to be the last one was cancelled I think, so didn't realise it was the final meeting at the time).
    Tried to go last night, but punters were pouring out of the stadium complaining that having queued for ages to get in half the bars were closed and it was taking 40 mins to get served at the couple that were still open. Basically a shambles by the sounds of it.
    I used to own a greyhound in the eighties. Used to take it for walks on Sundays, and it really was very well looked after.
    Had two retired grehounds as pets as well. They're fantastic as pets, and both were rapidly put in their place by our cat, who ruled them with an iron paw.
  • edited March 2017
    We went last night and it was quite a surreal experience, if you've ever been to greyhound racing before.

We got there for 18.30 when the doors opened, as we usually do and you're normally first or there may be a handful of people in the queue.

There must have been at least a thousand people queuing and we finally got in at 19.30. First race 19.39.

As we approached the entrance there were thousands behind us. If I gave a Charlton equivalent, the queue went from the Charlton ticket office to The Oak or say Charlton station.

We managed to get a beer reasonably quickly, but didn't bother after that because people were ten deep, just like Gold Cup day at Cheltenham, in fact even worse.

I didn't put a bet on either as you couldn't get close to the bookies without a battle and I couldn't be bothered quite frankly.

So we left just before the end sober and with our money in tact.

There's always a first time for everything and sadly also a last.

RIP Wimbledon dogs.

One of the past heroes of Plough Lane (still going at 84)...

Who is this ?
    Ronnie Moore MBE. Kiwi (but born in Tasmania), double world champion, three times runner up. During a long career, he had several stints at Plough Lane. Won the world championship the first time in 1954 while riding with a broken leg.
    Ronnie Moore was one of my dad's speedway heroes.

My dad used to take me & my brother to Wimbledon for speedway racing when we were young. It was generally a good night out.
    In the grandstand, eating chips & popcorn, & speedway running races with the other kids along the top bar (pissing off a fair few punters here & there) when our young attention spans wandered from the action.

We'd occasionally go onto the terrace area near the pits. I always loved the smells of the pits, & seeing the riders getting ready & revving up to race.

Our parents named us after a pair of Wimbledon speedway riders too! :-D

I never really got into the dogs or stock cars after the Wimbledon speedway team left .

The car boot sales there were generally pretty good though!
  • Stefco said:

One of the past heroes of Plough Lane (still going at 84)...

Who is this ?
    Ronnie Moore MBE. Kiwi (but born in Tasmania), double world champion, three times runner up. During a long career, he had several stints at Plough Lane. Won the world championship the first time in 1954 while riding with a broken leg.
    Ronnie Moore was one of my dad's speedway heroes.

My dad used to take me & my brother to Wimbledon for speedway racing when we were young. It was generally a good night out.
    In the grandstand, eating chips & popcorn, & speedway running races with the other kids along the top bar (pissing off a fair few punters here & there) when our young attention spans wandered from the action.

We'd occasionally go onto the terrace area near the pits. I always loved the smells of the pits, & seeing the riders getting ready & revving up to race.

Our parents named us after a pair of Wimbledon speedway riders too! :-D

I never really got into the dogs or stock cars after the Wimbledon speedway team left .

The car boot sales there were generally pretty good though!
    I think I had my first ever adult drink at Plough Lane speedway. I was somewhat underage and my brother decided I'd like lime in my lager. I've forgiven him now.
  • Plymouth, Devon or Cornwall?