Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life trip to Ypres & Passchendaele

2»

Comments

• Options
    Put me and my old man down as possibles.
  • Options
    My relatives fell in Loos and Arras, but count me in for this trip. Possibly +1. Either dates are fine with me.
  • Options
    I would be very interested in hearing more details of this as I know how good Clive is as a guide
  • Options
    I was on Clive's coach on the way back from Belgium and thought he was excellent - knowledgeable, authoritative and humane and got the balance right between the larger sweep of the war and the individual stories that made up people's experiences.

I need to check dates, as July is a tad busy for me, so put me down as a possible. I know a few others not on CL who might be interested as well, though I reckon this will fill up very quickly. Well done to Large and everyone else organising it.
  • Options
    I was also on Clive' coach and concur with the views expressed by @rananega above.

My wife and I would like to take part in this adventure, please.
  • Options
    I am interested if the dates work
  • Options
    I'm going to Ypres/Passcendale and then the Somme in May, but otherwise this would have been a definite for me.

I've been on one of Clive's full tours and it was (he was) superb.
  • Options
    Yes, myself and the wife are interested, especially if it's Sat/Sun.
  • Options
    *bump*
  • Options
    I'm also interested. But I would join the group in Belgium and will do the journey and hotel by myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2017
    @MadGerman I hope along with Neal to have some details up here in the next day or two. We can arrange to pick you up in Ypres and will certainly be looking at the war from bith sides of the wire.
  • Options
    I have a relative that died on 22/4/15 at what I believe was the 2nd Battle of Ypres. Royal West Kents. I would love to know a bit more about it.
  • Options

I have a relative that died on 22/4/15 at what I believe was the 2nd Battle of Ypres. Royal West Kents. I would love to know a bit more about it.

SHG, there is a lot of info on the War Graves Commission website and if you search on your relative's name you should be able to access papers and even a photo of his actual gravestone. If you know where he is buried then I'm sure we can factor a visit into our itinerary if you are planning to come with us.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    1st Battalion were the only RWK unit in France on the 22 April, they were regular soldiers and part of the 5th Division (15 Infantry Brigade).
    On the 22nd April they were finishing a 3 day spell of rest and were addressed by Sir John French in Vlamertinghe behind the lines to thank them for their efforts in the defence of Hill 60 before re occupying the support trenches behind Hill 60 that evening. The 23rd was by far their busiest day, the 22nd mainly being taken up with the shooting down of a German Observation Balloon. Whats his name SHG and I can get a bit more for you, I have a 7/8 page account of their time in the Salient that week but too long to type out on here.
  • Options
    Excellent idea Large, would love to go but I'm out there in 2 weeks with a Belgian chap I buy and sell militaria with, he also has mapped most of the trenches and conducts digs etc. He has agreed to be our personal guide, he has arranged for us to visit a couple of private museums. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm sure everyone will have a great time, shame I cant do 2 visits this year.
  • Options

My Dad is 80 this year. We are taking the opportunity, as my kid brother is down from Scotland, for us (Dad and three sons) to do a day trip to visit his grandfather's grave. He has never been and is quite sure his own dad never went during his lifetime (Fred was only 3 when his Dad died 24th June 1915).

I just feel the time is right to pay Cpl Frederick J Crew of the West Kents a visit. Dad is poorly, it is a long day trip but there will be four grown men standing by the grave of someone they never knew but to who they owe everything, their very existance.

So we are off to Vormezeele on the 6th of April.

Cheers for sharing Soapy. It is an incredibly humbling and almost surreal thought. I hope all goes well with your da.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

1st Battalion were the only RWK unit in France on the 22 April, they were regular soldiers and part of the 5th Division (15 Infantry Brigade).
    On the 22nd April they were finishing a 3 day spell of rest and were addressed by Sir John French in Vlamertinghe behind the lines to thank them for their efforts in the defence of Hill 60 before re occupying the support trenches behind Hill 60 that evening. The 23rd was by far their busiest day, the 22nd mainly being taken up with the shooting down of a German Observation Balloon. Whats his name SHG and I can get a bit more for you, I have a 7/8 page account of their time in the Salient that week but too long to type out on here.

His name was pte. Fred Betts (see attached). Anecdotally my uncle always told me he was killed at Hill 60. No idea if that's correct.

• Options

SE7toSG3 said:

His name was pte. Fred Betts (see attached). Anecdotally my uncle always told me he was killed at Hill 60. No idea if that's correct.

That's true it was Hill 60, he died of his wounds received likely in the actions 18/19 April and is buried in Poperinghe Old Military Cemetery, we can certainly visit him in July,

He was in the 1st Royal West Kent's (service No 371) and 41 when he signed up in Deptford on the 31 August 1914, though he had previously served in the local militia giving his trade as a 'Master Stevedore' in the docks.

He was UK based until the 7 April 1915 when he landed in France to join the battalion in and around Hill 60, sadly he lasted 16 days before he died in 3rd Casualty Clearing Station, Poperinghe.

Fred was 5ft6, Brown hair and eyes and had a tattoo of 'clasped hands' on his left forearm.

On the 14 December 1914 it looks like he got a little drunk and was found guilty alongside a mate William Smith for 'shouting obscenities that caused offence and annoyance to others' in Railway Street Chatham, it cost him 8 shillings and sixpence!

He also had a further case of drunkeness in barracks and 3 absent without leave charges, lastly overstaying his leave on the 3 April 1915 before going to France and was given Field Punishment No2 (restriction of privileges for 10 days), so he was a proper soldier.

His wife was Johanna 9, Roan Street, she was awarded a pension of 15 shillings a week when he died alongside his service medals for the war.

I can send the war diary stuff by email if you DM me,
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

SE7toSG3 said:

That's true it was Hill 60, he died of his wounds received likely in the actions 18/19 April and is buried in Poperinghe Old Military Cemetery, we can certainly visit him in July,

He was in the 1st Royal West Kent's (service No 371) and 41 when he signed up in Deptford on the 31 August 1914, though he had previously served in the local militia giving his trade as a 'Master Stevedore' in the docks.

He was UK based until the 7 April 1915 when he landed in France to join the battalion in and around Hill 60, sadly he lasted 16 days before he died in 3rd Casualty Clearing Station, Poperinghe.

Fred was 5ft6, Brown hair and eyes and had a tattoo of 'clasped hands' on his left forearm.

On the 14 December 1914 it looks like he got a little drunk and was found guilty alongside a mate William Smith for 'shouting obscenities that caused offence and annoyance to others' in Railway Street Chatham, it cost him 8 shillings and sixpence!

He also had a further case of drunkeness in barracks and 3 absent without leave charges, lastly overstaying his leave on the 3 April 1915 before going to France and was given Field Punishment No2 (restriction of privileges for 10 days), so he was a proper soldier.

His wife was Johanna 9, Roan Street, she was awarded a pension of 15 shillings a week when he died alongside his service medals for the war.

Wow. Thankyou very much. I will DM you.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

SE7toSG3 said:

SE7toSG3 said:

Wow. Thankyou very much. I will DM you.

No you won't @ShootersHillGuru

I predict that you'll put your private details on the activity page where everyone can read it or as it is now known "doing an @Essex_Al " ; - )
  • Options
    Yeah I know Henners. I got caught up in the excitement of the moment. Either that or I'm thick :0(
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SDAddick said:

My Dad is 80 this year. We are taking the opportunity, as my kid brother is down from Scotland, for us (Dad and three sons) to do a day trip to visit his grandfather's grave. He has never been and is quite sure his own dad never went during his lifetime (Fred was only 3 when his Dad died 24th June 1915).

I just feel the time is right to pay Cpl Frederick J Crew of the West Kents a visit. Dad is poorly, it is a long day trip but there will be four grown men standing by the grave of someone they never knew but to who they owe everything, their very existance.

So we are off to Vormezeele on the 6th of April.

Cheers for sharing Soapy. It is an incredibly humbling and almost surreal thought. I hope all goes well with your da.
    Thanks for the good wishes.

Here's a picture of him aged 16 i think, soon after he joined the regular army. It hung prominently in my grandparents hallway. The spit of me at that age, people always commented. If you believe in that sort of thing, perhaps i lived the life for him, i am now over twice his age when he died aged 25...

• Options
    I was another on Clives coach on the recent protest visit and agree with the comments of both "rananegra" and Peter Gage above and would like to be part of this trip.
  • Options
    Update to follow soon I promise
  • Options
    Further details for the trip to Ypres

The trip will take place on the weekend of Saturday 15th July to Sunday 16th July.

The cost of the trip will be £60 per person which covers the Eurotunnel charges and the hire of the coach and driver for two days. In addition we would also suggest a minimum £10 ‘donation’ per person which will be split equally between the Museum and the Charlton Upbeats as Clive has kindly waived his usual fees. In return you get the services of an excellent and informative guide as those on the last visit will agree. We have decided to hire a 35 seat executive coach and so places are limited and will be reserved on a strictly first come first served basis.

We will require a deposit up-front of half the cost, £30 per person. Final payment will be required by 20th May. If you want to pay the full cost on booking please feel free to do so. When you are ready to book and make payment please message me and I will send you the bank details you need. Please put either your Surname or Charlton Life name as a reference. Once you have paid the deposit can you please message me and provide the full name(s) of those travelling and a contact phone number, preferably your mobile number. Once these funds are received your place(s) will be confirmed.

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE CANNOT CONFIRM THAT THE TRIP WILL RUN UNTIL 30 PEOPLE HAVE COMMITTED TO THE TOUR. WE ADVISE THAT YOU HOLD OFF BOOKING ACCOMMODATION UNTIL SUCH TIME THAT WE CAN CONFIRM THAT THE TOUR IS GOING AHEAD. THEREFORE, THE SOONER PEOPLE PAY THEIR DEPOSIT THE SOONER WE CAN CONFIRM THE TOUR. IF THE TOUR DOES NOT GO AHEAD AS PLANNED THEN YOUR DEPOSIT WILL BE REFUNDED IN FULL. OBVIOUSLY WE HOPE THIS WON’T BE NECESSARY.

We are booked on the 07.50am Eurotunnel service, so an early start. We will pick-up at SE7, Ebbsfleet International and Folkestone. We have no definite times as yet but the first pick-up, SE7, is likely to be around 05.15am at a rough guess.

We have decided that we will ask people to book their own hotel accommodation as we would struggle to find a single hotel to accommodate all our party. Also, some people expect different levels of comfort to others. So we have decided to locate ourselves in Ypres as there are a good range of various types of accommodation. We have listed some below to assist you although others are available. Booking.com is a good place to look. Please note though that we won’t want to be driving round town picking up people from various hotels so best to book accommodation within walking distance of the town centre and the likely coach pick-up point.

Another advantage to locating ourselves in Ypres is that we can attend the Menin Gate ceremony on the Saturday evening at 8pm and then have the rest of the evening in Ypres for people to do as they please; find somewhere to eat, drink etc before returning to their various hotels for the night, and maybe a nightcap or three.

Hotel Recommendations

Luxury - The Ariane - www.ariane.be/en
    4 * - Novotel Centrum - http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-3172-novotel-ieper-centrum-flanders-fields/index.shtml
    3 * Best Western - https://www.bestwestern.co.uk/hotels/best-western-flanders-lodge-92642 (approx 15 min walk to town)
    Mid range - Hotel Albion - www.albionhotel.be
    B & B - Hortensia - www.bbhortensia.be
    B & B - Hotel Old Tom - www.oldtom.be

Ypres is very compact and all of the above are either on the square or 5 minutes away, Best Western Flanders Lodge excluded.

Itinerary

Clive is currently abroad on a trip of his own but is working on the itinerary. This will be posted on Charlton Life when it is completed.

Thanks for reading; I look forward to receiving your bookings.

Neal (Large Addick)