Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuck Berry RIP

Comments

• Options
    One of the first 7" singles I ever bought was No Particular Place To Go on Pye International in '64

Saw Chuck top the bill at The London Rock 'n' Roll Show at Wembley Stadium in August 1972, he had the crowd eating out of his hand.

R.I.P. Chuck Berry.
  • Options
    Big influence on music RIP
  • Options
    Was a big influence on The Rolling Stones RIP.
  • Options
    What a life that man must have led. RIP
  • Options
    A true original. RIP
  • Options
    I'm still waiting to hear My ding a ling on the radio.
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP

Tremendously witty lyrics and outstanding guitar riffs.

Not so much Chuck Berry himself, but a friend used to sing My Ding A Ling as his favourite karaoke offering, brings back many happy memories.
  • Options
    such a loss , still have the 1957 single rock and roll music on my juke box RIP
  • Options

Chuck Berry has left behind the greatest rock n roll legacy of any artist. His songs have been covered, copied and blatantly stolen.

Never got to see him live but I've heard if he had to play 75 minutes, he'd play exactly 75 minutes, no more, no encores.

RIP

Hmmm, he nicked JBG from Johnny Johnson his piano player! Johnson never got a penny from Berry.
    I understand that Berry was not the nicest of individuals, BUT, he is Rock n Roll royalty and as such is a guitar playing legend, more influential than Clapton and Hendrix.
    RIP.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Chuck Berry has left behind the greatest rock n roll legacy of any artist. His songs have been covered, copied and blatantly stolen.

Never got to see him live but I've heard if he had to play 75 minutes, he'd play exactly 75 minutes, no more, no encores.

RIP

Hmmm, he nicked JBG from Johnny Johnson his piano player! Johnson never got a penny from Berry.
    I understand that Berry was not the nicest of individuals, BUT, he is Rock n Roll royalty and as such is a guitar playing legend, more influential than Clapton and Hendrix.
    RIP.
    Allegedly. Johnson lost the court case IIRC

No doubt Berry was a very troubled and often dislikable person but his musical legacy is undoubted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad news. The intro to jbg is one of the most iconic ever and is a must for all aspiring guitarists to learn.
  • Options
    'Memphis Tennessee' one of the greatest singles ever.
    Superb guitar intro!
  • Options
    People use the word Legend alot these days, he certainly was one RIP.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Had a few of his records when I was a teenager and went and saw him at Woolwich, not sure if Odeon or Granada), at an R&B concert. Loved his music along with Ray Charles, Little Richard and the Animals, to name just a few I have seen live
  • Options
    A true great and like many greats a flawed man. RIP
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Had a few of his records when I was a teenager and went and saw him at Woolwich, not sure if Odeon or Granada), at an R&B concert. Loved his music along with Ray Charles, Little Richard and the Animals, to name just a few I have seen live

I saw him at the Granada Woolwich and the Animals were on the same bill House Of The Rising Sun had just come out, also Carl Perkins was there
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Met him in '79. Miserable sod, but a great musician. RIP.

Do you find everyone you meet to be miserable? Do you think there might be a common factor you haven't spotted?

:)
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Surprised no-one's mentioned the tenuous Charlton connection yet (or are we too well behaved to sing that song these days?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un59ZLOti9Y

Wasn't this his biggest hit in the UK? I know a fair few people remember him most for this, which is a bit of shame when you consider how good he was live, his body of work, and his influence on so much of the great music of the '60s and '70s.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread is akin to paying tribute to Gary Glitter as and when he passes.

Chuck Berry is deserving of little to no mourning.
  • Options
  • Options
    He wasn't perfect to say the least, but he wrote the blueprint for so much stuff we enjoy to this day. RIP you old rascal.
  • Options
    Just saw the news report and the reason he was imprisoned. Awkward.
  • Options
    Remember going into Tower Records (remember them) with the Old Man - I got Lurkers album and he bought an old Chuck Berry one. Stood the test of time did Chuck.
  • Options

Met him in '79. Miserable sod, but a great musician. RIP.

Do you find everyone you meet to be miserable? Do you think there might be a common factor you haven't spotted?

:)
    Have I said this a lot? Remind me who please, you could be right - it might be me...
  • Options

He wasn't perfect to say the least

Neither is Adam Johnson. Would you 'RIP' him and jokingly call him a rascal for his misdemeanours?

Chuck Berry was an amalgamation of four letter sweary words.

• Options

He wasn't perfect to say the least

Neither is Adam Johnson. Would you 'RIP' him and jokingly call him a rascal for his misdemeanours?

Fair point....I suppose many people, me included, cut him a lot of slack for his music but there was a dark side there alright. 'RIP you cantankerous old sleaze" might have been more appropriate.
  • Options

This thread is akin to paying tribute to Gary Glitter as and when he passes.

Chuck Berry is deserving of little to no mourning.

Which begs the question does the art transcend the artist?

I think it does. There are so many people whose behaviour I abhor but whose art I love. Including Chuck's.