Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheffield United v Charlton 2017 post match views

Comments

• If the club's sold he will be gone with the "deadwood." If we aren't, he will see anyone we can sell flogged off and anyone big wage earners we can lose, lost. He will get a fraction of the proceeds and savings with which to bring in a load more League One/Two players.
    Flag Quote · 1Like LOL

sAD, BUT TRUE.

Nothing else matters.
  • Leuth said:

Everybody's attention?! Some of us have taste

Not all of us though it would appear.
  • ross1 said:

It has taken KR too long to realise that 4-2-3-1 does not work, I am sure if we had played 4-4-2 from the start of his reign with probably Ajose playing as one of 2 strikers we would have had more points than we have

But he played in a 4-4-2 in the first half of the season and looked lost and from the sounds of things it was like playing with ten men when he was on the pitch. I think a mid-lower table League One club is his level, and admittedly that's where we are but hopefully that's not where we will be in future.

Also, the fact that our players can't play a 4-2-3-1 boggles my mind. I know it's League One, but it's a formation that's been in fashion for 10+ years now. Admittedly it requires more specialization and discipline than a 4-4-2 can but...well to me it is another brick in the wall the poor tactical knowledge of many British players.
  • Played incredibly well for the first 15 minutes or so, and once they got their goal they were the better side.

Stayed in Sheffield for a night out with mates, absolutely hanging after getting in from 'Popworld' at about 4am. This train is killing me.
  • We won't go down this season but if RD remains and we have the same level of transfer window as previous ones we will next year.

Stripping out the higher earners and few saleable assets we have left and replacing them with poorer quality would be mad but consistent with every other transfer window under RD's reign.
  • I'v recently wondered, if this side would have played better under Riga? Though can not knock em, for the effort yesterday.
  • We are in a relegation scrap and with the lack of winning ethos in our club I genuinely think this could be the year we finally get to see what the fourth division is really like.
    I didn't think we would get anything from today so the result is not too disappointing but stating the bloody obvious the damage has been done and continues to be done. I find it hard to believe that anyone could buy a football club and deliberately not want it to be competitive at any level but the evidence is there for all to see, even the collaborators can't deny this now.
    Not a bad result today against a team that's heading out of this league but it's another loss to add to the others.

Roly won't be to bothered...Konsa will be on his way for 10 mil at the end of the season...that's another 10 mil to Strapix.
  • Sponsored links:

• You just wait till January the summer when Robinson can spend big!

He might get 1 million of the money they get from Konsa.

He's just signed a 3 year extension (although, in this day and age, that doesn't necessarily mean a lot).
  • We currently have 47 points. With 46 games you would normally expect 50 to be enough to stay up. However this year everybody has at least 5 more points than games playeed. Could be 51 or 52 is cut off point. This means minimum of 5 required from last 7 games . Should do that but our return from our last 7 games is 5 points! So could be tight unless we improve

He's just signed a 3 year extension (although, in this day and age, that doesn't necessarily mean a lot).
    In our case it usually means a player's about to be sold.
  • Gillingham at home on 17 April is shaping up as a six pointer.
  • Was at the game.
    Enjoyed a nice couple of pints in the Beer Engine with my brother n law who lives within walking distance of Bramall Lane but is a Palace supporter!
    Was still chomping on my Balti pie when we took the lead and yes we played well for the first 15 min but then came a weak equaliser from our point of view. For the rest of the half, they were in the ascendancy.
    2nd half, we did our usual 'you can tickle our tummy and we will just be as accommodating as you require'. Ricky Holmes lacked composure with two chances he had.
    There was one particular passage of play that infuriated me when Watt had the ball and could of fed Da Silva who had just had a very good confident first touch on the ball. I felt with him breaking into the penalty area it could of created a first class opportunity.
    Can't buy into Karl's post match comments of we did this well, we did that well. What we fall down on big time,is game management. Protect your lead with more solidity and be strong at key moments ie just after half time.
    Port Vale at Coventry on Tues which frightens the life out of me.
    Another rubbish Sunday to endure now.
  • E=mc2 said:

I'v recently wondered, if this side would have played better under Riga? Though can not knock em, for the effort yesterday.

Would have definitely played better under Nugent.
    Could not agree with you more. Can not understand why I actually forgot about Nugent . Possibly the lack of games in charge or a blonde moment!

• Good to see the31yearman opening up a bit more having loosened the shackles cables had on him , keep it coming
  • Listened on the radio, watched the goals online.

It seems to me that we have seen further encouraging signs that KR is starting to get a tune out of this squad. We're yet to string a full 90 mins of it together yet, but we dominated for spells against Sheff U and Bradford, two of the best teams in the League. I think KR should get at least a little bit of credit for turning things around somewhat from where we were 4 games ago, when I thought we were looking relegation certaintities.

Of course, we want to be more than just relegation maybes, we want to be promotion certainties, and we still look a way off that, but maybe we can at least see evidence that the seeds for that are currently being sowed.

There are a few fundamental flaws that are still holding us back.

1) the lack of a proper goal scoring striker. We've had periods of domination in the last two or three games where we created enough chances to put all of the games to bed but our failure to press home the advantage has cost us. Watt seems to be motivated and playing well - IF he stays that way then he can be a weapon for us, but we need a goal scoring target man along side him. Easier said than done to find one but they'll be a vital cog if we're successful next season.

2) we concede too easily from crosses. Not sure if this is the centre back or full backs that are the problem here, or both, but we just don't defend crosses well enough - a massive Achilles heel at this level. The diamond formation suits our current midfielders but opens our flanks a bit. If we're going to play it next season, we need Solly to refind his best form and a quality left back. Getting Pearce back fit may help too, but he needs a aerially dominant partner - one of those guys who's head seems to be a magnet for balls into the box.

3) decision making in the final third. This feeds into point 1, but we're getting into good positions and too often failing to convert that into a chance on goal. Confidence will help and we do seem to be getting there with that. A settled starting line up would help too so players can build a proper understanding. And a consistent managerial approach which is reliant on KR keeping his job, and who knows on that with Roland in charge and takeovers possibly on the horizon.

The problem, of course, is how much of this squad will be here next season. In its current guise, it is maybe only 3 orb 4 players away from being a very good league 1 side,but what guise will it be in come August, and how well will KR be backed in the summer. Wil the budget be rigid and have to be spread thin to get the numbers in, or will it be stretched to afford that special striker, or that one extra player that could make the difference?

I think that may well hinge on how well any due diligence goes over the coming days and weeks.
  • Re oohahhmortimer comments,
    That was a toned down version. Was seething on the journey back home.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2017

PARAS (Posting After Reading All Submissions) (Coz I can without letting other posts influence me!!).

Good first half; not so good second half. Token gesture by that manager type character, in his MacLean white 'look at me' trainers and ill fitting training top, to attempt to thank fans at end.

That's it really. All very depressing. However, Depeche Mode's new album will cheer you up.

Amazingly, I am listening to it right now. I don't know about cheer you up. They sound as angry as we are. Good though, and I have never been a fan.

I am just a little strange Prague in all honesty. Depeche and Radiohead (with some 'Editors' thrown in) really do make my day.
  • Re oohahhmortimer comments,
    That was a toned down version. Was seething on the journey back home.

I hadn't noticed....
  • edited March 2017

Was at the game.
    Enjoyed a nice couple of pints in the Beer Engine with my brother n law who lives within walking distance of Bramall Lane but is a Palace supporter!
    Was still chomping on my Balti pie when we took the lead and yes we played well for the first 15 min but then came a weak equaliser from our point of view. For the rest of the half, they were in the ascendancy.
    2nd half, we did our usual 'you can tickle our tummy and we will just be as accommodating as you require'. Ricky Holmes lacked composure with two chances he had.
    There was one particular passage of play that infuriated me when Watt had the ball and could of fed Da Silva who had just had a very good confident first touch on the ball. I felt with him breaking into the penalty area it could of created a first class opportunity.
    Can't buy into Karl's post match comments of we did this well, we did that well. What we fall down on big time,is game management. Protect your lead with more solidity and be strong at key moments ie just after half time.
    Port Vale at Coventry on Tues which frightens the life out of me.
    Another rubbish Sunday to endure now.

I wouldn't worry about it, Coventry fans aren't that scary.
  • Forget this season (sod all the play for any more and a lot of bullshit to come from the manager), does anyone have any faith that even were he let off the leash by Roland, that Robinson could make sensible signings and then have the managerial ability to steer us to promotion?
  • We are nowhere near safe. Most of the teams below us have 8 games left to our 7. Port vale have 10 left. Those teams get an average of 1 point for their games in hand and we are 3 points above relegation.

Not safe but it helps we have to go to Coventry and Chesterfield, who are dead in the water, as Swindon are likely to be on the last day. Even if Port Vale get out, I reckon we'll finish above Gillingham. Woo-hoo!
    You don't take into account the impact of the team having to listen to Gobby for the next two weeks with no games to dull the pain.
  • Good to see the31yearman opening up a bit more having loosened the shackles cables had on him , keep it coming

Haha - he didn't have me looming over him on the dj coach on this occasion.

Glad to see he's calmed down since Tuesday at Bradford. He was at breaking point after they equalised
  • Fiiish said:

Today's result means we are no longer in the running for automatic promotion. I really believed we were going up until today.

We're still hopng for top 6 as our owner has promised us. Hope the collaborators are also supporting our team to meet this objective. Would be disingenuous for the Vol Au Vents and the Sewer to claim this is no longer realistic.
    What are you in 1945? Warmed up you're tar yet and plucked your feathers?
  • It's was as plain as the nose after half a dozen games that a squad not battle hardened to SBL1 would not saunter back to the SBC at the 1st time of asking. Rat can relieve some of the pressure by allowing Meire to take FA job they are desperate to give her. Penance to be done as any blade would've told a travelling addick last Saturday. Sheff U a much bigger club than Charlton. Talk of L2 is nonsence but Robbo needs a decent finish to half a chance of keeping job.
  • Note to Fanny. Take a bottle of wine with a screw cap :wink: