Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mayweather vs McGregor

Comments

• Options

"40 years old and you can't even read" :smiley:

Mayweather visibly frustrated and rattled.

He slipped his drink without blinking when that line was said. Bit cheeky of McGregor to call him a runner...

If you want to see rattled, watch when Floyd held the Irish flag. He gave it back to him after not doing anything disrespectful to it and he threw it back at him!

Some guy called Muhammad Ali was the best self promotor. Conor is extremely good though, not that that will help him out in the ring!
    Floyd gave the flag back without doing anything as he knows McGregor would knock him in to the middle of the next century in anything other than a 12 round boxing bout.
    Jesus....

Cold hands was another good line, a better one is why didn't Conor become a boxer, a sport with far more money than mix martial arts?
    Blasphemy is uncalled for :wink:

Re the boxing thing, probably because, as McGregor says, he likes to fight a proper fight. Unrestricted, free flowing and multi-faceted (I'm a massive boxing fan and former youth boxer before you think I'm knocking the sport).

McGregor, at 28, will have earned more than Floyd did at the same stage of his boxing career. Not bad for someone who should have taken the, apparent, more lucrative route.
    Here's a clue.
    What question of mine was that answering? :smile:

All that shows me is that McGregor will fight anyone, at any weight and learn from his mistakes by coming back and avenging a loss.

You made the point about McGregor not going in to boxing as there was more money in it. I pointed out that, comparatively speaking, McGregor is in a better place financially at the same age, within a considerably shorter time frame, than Floyd was.

You've countered with Diaz throwing a punch, in a sport where a boxing guard isn't the only form of defence you need.

I wont post up the McGregor/Aldo punch as it proves nothing.
    And how many boxers are on welfare at the stage of Conor's career when he was the cage rage featherweight and lightweight champion?!

MMA is a young sport, there was no option for Conor to choose one growing up, he trained as a boxer and moved into MMA when he was older.

Defense is pretty important in compart sport, if you can find a gif of someone landing 2 shots on Mayweather in a single swing I'll be impressed!

As for Aldo, the rematch was dodged and the belt vacated.
    Because Floyd has made career out of being a very boring, and very talented, boxer.

I'm not saying McGregor is going to win but I'm also not naive enough to say that McGregor doesn't have a chance.

Floyd has already been coming out and saying how he doesn't look the same as he did. How he's rusty and how his body is breaking down. Possibly all mind games but also a sign that he's covering his backside.

Re Aldo, a rematch was never needed as Aldo got sparked in 13 seconds. Aldo has also recently lost to Holloway. McGregor moved up through two weight divisions and beat two legends of the sport. Both of which were favourites to beat him. He lost to Diaz but came back. Hardly the sign of someone that would have dodged someone he knocked out cold in 13 seconds.
    Have you just called Nate Diaz and Eddie Alvarez legends of the sports? :smiley: Lightweight is McGregor's natural weight and the Diaz rematch was a close decision where he walked away from engaging in the later rounds. Aldo rematch, because it was a fluke. Crazy how some people buy into McGregor's propaganda, it's one of the reasons why he didn't give Aldo a rematch.

McGregor doesn't have a chance.
  • Options

He slipped his drink without blinking when that line was said. Bit cheeky of McGregor to call him a runner...

If you want to see rattled, watch when Floyd held the Irish flag. He gave it back to him after not doing anything disrespectful to it and he threw it back at him!

Some guy called Muhammad Ali was the best self promotor. Conor is extremely good though, not that that will help him out in the ring!
    Floyd gave the flag back without doing anything as he knows McGregor would knock him in to the middle of the next century in anything other than a 12 round boxing bout.
    Jesus....

Cold hands was another good line, a better one is why didn't Conor become a boxer, a sport with far more money than mix martial arts?

Re the boxing thing, probably because, as McGregor says, he likes to fight a proper fight. Unrestricted, free flowing and multi-faceted (I'm a massive boxing fan and former youth boxer before you think I'm knocking the sport).

McGregor, at 28, will have earned more than Floyd did at the same stage of his boxing career. Not bad for someone who should have taken the, apparent, more lucrative route.
    Here's a clue.

All that shows me is that McGregor will fight anyone, at any weight and learn from his mistakes by coming back and avenging a loss.

You made the point about McGregor not going in to boxing as there was more money in it. I pointed out that, comparatively speaking, McGregor is in a better place financially at the same age, within a considerably shorter time frame, than Floyd was.

You've countered with Diaz throwing a punch, in a sport where a boxing guard isn't the only form of defence you need.

And how many boxers are on welfare at the stage of Conor's career when he was the cage rage featherweight and lightweight champion?!

MMA is a young sport, there was no option for Conor to choose one growing up, he trained as a boxer and moved into MMA when he was older.

Defense is pretty important in compart sport, if you can find a gif of someone landing 2 shots on Mayweather in a single swing I'll be impressed!

Because Floyd has made career out of being a very boring, and very talented, boxer.

I'm not saying McGregor is going to win but I'm also not naive enough to say that McGregor doesn't have a chance.

Floyd has already been coming out and saying how he doesn't look the same as he did. How he's rusty and how his body is breaking down. Possibly all mind games but also a sign that he's covering his backside.

Re Aldo, a rematch was never needed as Aldo got sparked in 13 seconds. Aldo has also recently lost to Holloway. McGregor moved up through two weight divisions and beat two legends of the sport. Both of which were favourites to beat him. He lost to Diaz but came back. Hardly the sign of someone that would have dodged someone he knocked out cold in 13 seconds.
    Have you just called Nate Diaz and Eddie Alvarez legends of the sports? :smiley: Lightweight is McGregor's natural weight and the Diaz rematch was a close decision where he walked away from engaging in the later rounds. Aldo rematch, because it was a fluke. Crazy how some people buy into McGregor's propaganda, it's one of the reasons why he didn't give Aldo a rematch.

Eddie Alvarez will go in to the hall of fame. Are you disputing that? Yes, Alvarez and Diaz are legends of the UFC.

Not of 'sports' in general, no. Of their chosen sport, yes.

Propaganda? Mystic Mac predicts when he's going to beat people and then delivers on those predictions.

The reason Aldo didn't get a rematch was because he pulled out of the first fight on short notice (various reasons for this and injury wasn't genuinely one of them) and then, when he did get in the ring, McGregor knocked him out cold in 13 seconds :smile: You can call that avoidance all you like. I prefer to call it like it is. McGregor beat the undefeated in 10 years fighter in 13 seconds. What need was there to go back?

Some people will do all they can to discredit others. Like they say, haters' gonna hate :smiley:
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Jesus....

Here's a clue.

Eddie Alvarez will go in to the hall of fame. Are you disputing that? Yes, Alvarez and Diaz are legends of the UFC.

Not of 'sports' in general, no. Of their chosen sport, yes.

Propaganda? Mystic Mac predicts when he's going to beat people and then delivers on those predictions.

The reason Aldo didn't get a rematch was because he pulled out of the first fight on short notice (various reasons for this and injury wasn't genuinely one of them) and then, when he did get in the ring, McGregor knocked him out cold in 13 seconds :smile: You can call that avoidance all you like. I prefer to call it like it is. McGregor beat the undefeated in 10 years fighter in 13 seconds. What need was there to go back?

Some people will do all they can to discredit others. Like they say, haters' gonna hate :smiley:
    I not only dispute Alvarez being a hall of famer but I laugh at it! You must know something about him that I don't! I'm a big fan of both Diaz brothers but neither have won a UFC title. Both are very highly regarded in BJJ circles but not at legendary status like a BJ Penn.

Cool, he predicted knocking out Mayweather within 4 rounds, lets look back at that in a months time! :smiley:

Could agree to rematch then fight a featherweight replacement, like a Max Holloway, if Aldo pulls out. The reason there was no rematch is because he can't top a 13 second win. Aldo is a definite legend for the record and so is Conor. I think his win over Alvarez was more dominating that the Aldo one. Alvarez doesn't deserve a rematch.
  • Options
    I'm curious to see if Conor's movement and more importantly, his striking angles will cause Mayweather problems. There's nothing from a 'traditional' boxing sense that Mayweather won't have seen before (maybe power but who knows how hard Conor hits compared to other boxers) but if Conor starts throwing shots from a kickboxing, wrestling, Muay Thai, karate etc stance from different angles that Mayweather isn't used to, I'm sure it could cause him problems. MMA fighters always say after fighting Mcgregor that his stance, movement and precision when throwing from strange angles is what catches them and they're far more skilled in defending against strikes from other martial arts stances than Mayweather will be. I don't think this will be a boxing match that we're used to, it'll be boxing vs mma striking which is what makes it intriguing.
    Mcgregor must also have a massive psychological advantage in that, while it's a sport and profession, most fighters are alpha male types - Mayweather knows that in a fight rather than a sport, Mcgregor would annihilate him in 10 seconds. I'd imagine that might mentally weigh on an ego like Mayweather and it's certainly something he's unlikely to have experienced before
  • Options
    I can't believe we are on page 7 of this thread.
    McGregor will be lucky to land a single punch on arguably the best defensive boxer of all time.
    As for having another boxing match after this fight forget it.
    He will be so outclassed that he will go back to doing what he does best MMA.
  • Options

McGregor will be lucky to land a single punch on arguably the best defensive boxer of all time.

And yet here you are posting about it.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

And will probably pay to watch it :)
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Don't moan about it then.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

In an earlier post you called this fight a freak show at least i can agree with you on that.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

In an earlier post you called this fight a freak show at least i can agree with you on that.
    It is. But I've also said that I'm fascinated by it and I'll definitely be watching.

What I can't understand is people desperate to let everyone know they don't care, it's a farce, he doesn't have a chance, it's demeaning boxing etc.

Yet they are just as likely to be watching it. If people really think those things they shouldn't be giving it any attention whatsoever, just by talking it is helping build the hype.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2017
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

It is. But I've also said that I'm fascinated by it and I'll definitely be watching.

What I can't understand is people desperate to let everyone know they don't care, it's a farce, he doesn't have a chance, it's demeaning boxing etc.

Yet they are just as likely to be watching it. If people really think those things they shouldn't be giving it any attention whatsoever, just by talking it is helping build the hype.
    Because most people are hypocrites - me included and I admitted that in an earlier post.

It is also entirely reasonable to be both critical and interested at the same time!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Because most people are hypocrites - me included and I admitted that in an earlier post.

It is also entirely reasonable to be both critical and interested at the same time!
    Totally agree with you.
    I think it will be a one sided mismatch but I will watch it out of curiosity.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Critical I agree is fine. But many are being far more than that.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Is it over yet ?

Broner v Garcia, Crawford v Indongo, Canelo v GGG and the WBSS starting in the next six weeks and I am sure relevant fights happening in UFC and MMA world but it's all been torpedoed by this utter crap.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

bobmunro said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

But this is an open forum - people can say what they like (within the bounds of civility and decorum!).
  • Options
    Those public promos are hilarious, on the one hand you have McGregor looking immaculate and able to speak brilliantly off the cuff and humiliate Mayweather at will.

Then there is Floyd, still dressing like a "14 year old break-dancer" and barely able to string a coherent sentence together.

Whether it's MMA or Boxing McGregor is a phenomenal PR machine, can't think of any other sportsman so absolutely at ease with the cameras and able to genuinely make people laugh.

If I were McGregor I'd really up the ante and start digging out Mayweather for being a convicted wife-beater and see if he takes the bait.

McGregors best - maybe only - chance is to enrage Mayweather so much pre-fight that he just wants to go toe to toe on the night, if Mayweather boxes then McGregor likely won't be able to get to him.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

colthe3rd said:

bobmunro said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

But this is an open forum - people can say what they like (within the bounds of civility and decorum!).
    You're all missing my point. Why make a point of posting something saying it's a disgrace, you don't care etc if you're going to spend your time watching the build up and the fight?

Like me you can disagree with the reasons behind it and that it isn't within the spirit of either sport but still be fascinated by it all and just embrace the madness? It's a bit like a mindless action movie. Turn the brain off, enjoy the madness and you might just have a bit of fun with it.
  • Options

Is it over yet ?

Broner v Garcia, Crawford v Indongo, Canelo v GGG and the WBSS starting in the next six weeks and I am sure relevant fights happening in UFC and MMA world but it's all been torpedoed by this utter crap.

Canelo v GGG is intriguing for all the right reasons.
  • Options

Is it over yet ?

Canelo v GGG is intriguing for all the right reasons.
    About to say the same thing. This could be very interesting
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    The NY press conference was terrible. 4 in 4 days (just like 3 games in 3 days) perhaps isn't the best idea - feels like it's getting old already
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like others have said McGregor is a great showman, and knows how to sell a fight, but the 'fight' will be a nonsense.

Mayweather has fought just about every type of fighter going, and the brawler types (Ricky Hatton), just don't get close enough to him.

Look at Canelo Alvarez, who is an unbelievable fighter and about to fight GGG, he could barely lay a glove on Mayweather, and was left disconsolate after the fight, at how illusive a fighter Mayweather was.

He may an arsehole of incredible proportions, but Mayweather remains untouchable in the ring.
  • Options

Like others have said McGregor is a great showman, and knows how to sell a fight, but the 'fight' will be a nonsense.

Mayweather has fought just about every type of fighter going, and the brawler types (Ricky Hatton), just don't get close enough to him.

Look at Canelo Alvarez, who is an unbelievable fighter and about to fight GGG, he could barely lay a glove on Mayweather, and was left disconsolate after the fight, at how illusive a fighter Mayweather was.

He may an arsehole of incredible proportions, but Mayweather remains untouchable in the ring.

I can't help but think that Conor maybe has a chance beyond just a punchers chance of swinging and hoping for the best. Like I said in my post above, Conor's MMA background means that he can strike from all sort of angles and stances that Mayweather will never have seen before from a traditional boxer. Will it work? Who knows, but as a fan of both sports, there's far more variation in MMA striking than boxing and I think that could cause Floyd problem. I don't think it's a clear cut as it seems on paper. I also don't see it as best boxer vs almost certainly not as good boxer, for me it's more amazing (but past prime) boxer vs MMA striker
  • Options
    Ross_cafc said:

I can't help but think that Conor maybe has a chance beyond just a punchers chance of swinging and hoping for the best. Like I said in my post above, Conor's MMA background means that he can strike from all sort of angles and stances that Mayweather will never have seen before from a traditional boxer. Will it work? Who knows, but as a fan of both sports, there's far more variation in MMA striking than boxing and I think that could cause Floyd problem. I don't think it's a clear cut as it seems on paper. I also don't see it as best boxer vs almost certainly not as good boxer, for me it's more amazing (but past prime) boxer vs MMA striker
    Great post.

Just because they are Boxing does not mean McGregor has to box orthodox - he has plenty of options.

Don't forget its harder to hit someone in UFC because you might walk onto a kick to the head or knee to the ribs or even get wrestled to the floor and choked - in boxing you only have to worry about the hands!

McGregor is a very special athlete and the odds are well against him but I wouldn't rule out him producing something outrageous.
  • Options
    Is that two counts of casual racism from McGregor now?
  • Options
    While I love the showman that CM is, and he's a terrific MMA fighter too, when he steps into a boxing match it is all change. It's not just his punching power that may be compromised by larger gloves, some of his angles will be off limits too. If the referee keeps it strictly to Queensbury rules (and he may give CM some leeway here), then he will not be able to duck below the belt; he will not be able to kick/knee in a clinch; and he will have to stop throwing at a break call. If he does get close to FM, it will go to a clinch, and Conor will not have much power on the inside. That is the only chance I think he has of hitting FM (so to say he will land less than ten punches is stupid IMO), but FM will be happy to clinch as it lessens CM's power. I can see this being a bit of a stand off after the first couple of rounds, with FM backing away just out of range, and CM not doing enough to get close (a bit like the Ali fight against Inoki - the wrestler).

Great TV though!
  • Options

Ross_cafc said:

Great post.

Just because they are Boxing does not mean McGregor has to box orthodox - he has plenty of options.

Don't forget its harder to hit someone in UFC because you might walk onto a kick to the head or knee to the ribs or even get wrestled to the floor and choked - in boxing you only have to worry about the hands!

McGregor is a very special athlete and the odds are well against him but I wouldn't rule out him producing something outrageous.
    I hope CMG does win, but I don't think you are taking into account what a difficult customer Mayweather is, look at his CV and you will see some incredible and varied fighters, whom he has seen off with ease.

To lose to someone in his first pro boxing match, is simply unthinkable.
  • Options
    I think there's a good chance that the fight will be set up for McGregor to win and then there will be a couple of astronomically lucrative rematches. If the odds justify it I'll bet accordingly.
  • Options

I think there's a good chance that the fight will be set up for McGregor to win and then there will be a couple of astronomically lucrative rematches. If the odds justify it I'll bet accordingly.

Agreed . It's basically WWE so wouldn't think it beyond the possibility. Although this is a real legacy tarnisher. Not sure even Floyd would sell his legacy but you never know.
  • Options

Agreed . It's basically WWE so wouldn't think it beyond the possibility. Although this is a real legacy tarnisher. Not sure even Floyd would sell his legacy but you never know.
    50 and 0 means more to Mayweather than that - I can't for a second believe he would 'sell' that for a 49 and 1 record!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

50 and 0 means more to Mayweather than that - I can't for a second believe he would 'sell' that for a 49 and 1 record!
    Except the story would eventually come out that he'd set up a $200-500m payday by throwing a Mickey mouse fight at the end of his career. His fame would be enhanced to the point that people would still be talking about Floyd Mayweather and the McGregor fight in a 100 years time.