Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tonight's Crossbar Challenge

Comments

• Forgetting the cheesy gimmick, I actually think it's very good offer, it's not like the amount you'll win is a small amount. You have to remember that a lot of people for one reason or another don't and haven't play football so I'm not surprised about some of the attempts, I'd probably be as woeful at trying to get a strike at bowling of bullseye at darts. However with 8K up for grab I'm still going to give it my best shot and not worry about embarrassing myself in front of a few thousand people, in fact I'd do a lot worse for 8K.
  • edited March 2017
    I'd love a go at it, would fancy my chances as better than average
  • It's my favourite part of a match day!
  • It's my favourite part of a match day!

This, would love to have a go
  • edited March 2017
    If my name's pulled out of the hat I'll ask you @AFKABartram to be my sub.

Then I get the money and you get the glory
  • So few people going to the games they can all have a go between now and the end of the season!!
  • shirty5 said:

It's another tickbox PR exercise. Some boffin at the club, thought this idea would sell more Jackpot tickets, when sales have dropped cause of the crap served up from the owner and his minions.

No one will win it as the participants are more Diana Ross, than David Beckham.

It's half time entertainment, what do you expect Ed Sheeran?
    Playing Ed Sheeran over the tannoy would be far better and considerably less embarrassing.
  • I do think it's unfair you only get one shot

At least give the punters 3 attempts

Otherwise sack it off and give the money to Demelza
  • Real good effort yesterday, so close , £10k up for grabs last game of the season
  • Sponsored links:

• If my name's pulled out of the hat I'll ask you @AFKABartram to be my sub.

Then I get the money and you get the glory

I'd nominate Lee Novak or Tony Watt and tell then to aim for the goal.

• I'd nominate Lee Novak or Tony Watt and tell then to aim for the goal.

Its the Crossbar challenge not the Corner Flag one!
  • Halix said:

I'd nominate Lee Novak or Tony Watt and tell then to aim for the goal.

Its the Crossbar challenge not the Corner Flag one!

That might explain it - those competing this season have been told it's the corner flag.
  • Let the subs do it v Swindon, keep going until one of them flukes it then give the money to the Upbeats.
  • sm said:

If no one wins against Swindon - then all the players should have a go with the money going to a charity that they each nominate.

Trouble is there is only 15 mins in half time for one of them to be successful.
  • edited April 2017
    Whilst I have only attended half the games, I have been amazed by the number of pitiful efforts seeing as you can nominate somebody to take it for you.
  • Why don't people nominate someone like Jackson to take it for them?
  • Golfie Jnr was up the local rec on sunday & said he hit the crossbar 3 times from the edge of the "D" - not sure how many goes he had but at least he managed to hit the damn thing & not just trickle the ball into the goal.

Wanted me to buy him a jackpot ticket on Monday so that he could enter - I told him we would have to share the £10k prize if that was the case !!
  • Sponsored links:

• You didn't say how high the goal crossbar was. In our junior games they are normally about 3 foot high :-)
  • I'd take it myself. Cue chants of "Who ate all the pies" from the covered end :)
  • It''s cringeworthy, just like all the others gimmicks they have trotted out instead of getting on and running the club professionally.

shirty5 said:

It's another tickbox PR exercise. Some boffin at the club, thought this idea would sell more Jackpot tickets, when sales have dropped cause of the crap served up from the owner and his minions.

No one will win it as the participants are more Diana Ross, than David Beckham.

I realise I'm coming a bit late to this, but the crossbar challenge isn't put on by the football club. It's part of Valley Gold, as is the lottery, an organisation legally separate from the club.

Personally I look forward to it. The guy last week was so close, but the comedy value of the ones who miss is priceless.
  • Last game of the season and time for a final Crossbars challenge!
  • Wonder if it'll roll over to next season? Would love to have a go at it.
  • Wonder if it'll roll over to next season? Would love to have a go at it.

Nah the 10k becomes the Transfer Kitty ahead of the Summer Transfer Window

Why do you think everyone is missing? ;)
  • Joshuk87 said:

Last game of the season and time for a final Crossbars challenge!

See if you can get served a pint in there that doesn't taste of piss?
    I've only been in around 3 times and I wouldn't have won. Even the strongbow tasted like piss.
  • Joshuk87 said:

Last game of the season and time for a final Crossbars challenge!

See if you can get served a pint in there that doesn't taste of piss?
    I've only been in around 3 times and I wouldn't have won. Even the strongbow tasted like piss.
    Solution to that is to get absolutely ruined. Not even piss tastes like piss when your 7 pints and half a bottle of rum down.
  • seth plum said:

If I had the chance I would never hit the crossbar, but I reckon I could smack it with full force into Brian Coles face.

You'd probably still win tickets to the vista lounge for a game of your choice