Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stairlift

Not for me!! :-)

For our Mum, who will be 90 in June so hasn't done badly getting this far without such a thing.

Has anybody got one, had one installed for a parent or relative? Any advice, recommendations?

Thanks in advance, even for the inevitable gags

Comments

• We decided not to have one for the ma in law.
    We moved her bed downstairs, so she lives down there.
    The wife helps her upstairs for a bath at weekends.
  • Ooo I dunno... I've heard they can be a bit up and down
  • Not for me!! :-)

For our Mum, who will be 90 in June so hasn't done badly getting this far without such a thing.

Has anybody got one, had one installed for a parent or relative? Any advice, recommendations?

Thanks in advance, even for the inevitable gags

Grandad had one, he'd have been super limited without it.
  • I gather Stanner is the market leader, and the norm is to lease/rent it?
  • Richard, pm me.
  • sell up and buy her a bungalow in the country
  • edited March 2017
    Neighbours have got one. Think they got it through the local mobility centre. They swear by it and i was surprised how quick it took to install. One afternoon if I remember rightly.
    They do have a straight stair case though which i guess makes a difference.
  • Have one for my wife Acorn stair lifts good service had it 5 years.
  • Old girl we used to do work for would send the coffee and biscuits up on it when working upstairs. Very handy.
  • Sponsored links:

• HexHex
    edited March 2017
    Got one for my Dad via Kent Social Services (Occupational Therapy). They have a special budget I believe as should other authorities. Process took about 6/7 months. The provider was Ascendit. Don't contact Acorn as you will get bombarded with calls.
  • Hex said:

Got one for my Dad via Kent Social Services (Occupational Therapy). They have a special budget I believe as should other authorities. Process took about 6/7 months. The provider was Ascendit. Don't contact Acorn as you will get bombarded with calls.

Hmm, not sure we have that long, and we would have to deal with Greenwich. So I guess we have to make a choice of getting it privately and quickly, or waiting a while but getting financial support. Does anyone think we can do both, that is, getting it privately but in the meantime trying to get support from our local Social Services?

• Your mum's in RBG. When I enquired of RBG last year, you had to pay yourself if you had a certain level of savings.
  • My grandad had a Stanner. No problems with it.
  • Your mum's in RBG. When I enquired of RBG last year, you had to pay yourself if you had a certain level of savings.

Thanks, not "good" news but saves us crossing swords with those clowns again.

Thanks, not "good" news but saves us crossing swords with those clowns again.
    It was the usual savings limit, if such a thing exists. It was some sort of discressionary grant the details of which were on the council website, so may be true about RBG. This was 6/7 years ago and the price was £5-8k. The grant covered 5 years maintenance as well.

We were going down the private purchase route until we heard of the grant. The OT guy had a reputation for being very slow but once it got transferred to Sevenoaks DC things sped up as their guy was very efficient.
  • We got one from Stannah for 90 year old mum. fitted in a week very impressed. cost about £3k i think
  • kimbo said:

We got one from Stannah for 90 year old mum. fitted in a week very impressed. cost about £3k i think

Hi @Kimbo, you bought it, rather than leasing or renting it?

• @blackpool72 is your man.

Very funny Otto: )
  • Sponsored links:

• kimbo said:

We got one from Stannah for 90 year old mum. fitted in a week very impressed. cost about £3k i think

Hi @Kimbo, you bought it, rather than leasing or renting it?

FiL did it but I think it was purchased outright. Will check.

• wow - who knew you could rent a stairlift?
  • MrOneLung said:

wow - who knew you could rent a stairlift?

But I have been reading up on Which, and it seems this makes financial sense only when you need it for a few months, e.g. after an op.

But once again a great CL thread, thanks everyone for your advice.