Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ENVY ENVY !!

I am not sure if envy is just an emotion that relates to personal green eyed jealousy or if it can be felt on behalf of another or others.

Sky Sports have just done a big number on Millwall as they prepare to face Tottenham tomorrow. The team is sitting around in a nice restaurant eating quality food and drinking soft drinks. They look and sound confident, they're full of it but not in a boastful or arrogant way, you can almost smell and feel the comradeship and togetherness emanating from them.

Lincoln are also playing soon in north London down the road at the Emirates stadium.
So, two big London staged cup games to be played in front of enormous crowds with world wide TV exposure.
Both the Lions and the Imps are in a no lose/win win position, win and they are superheroes, lose and they're gallant underdogs ..
WHY OH WHY are we not in that kind of position, how long do we have to wait for another glory day or days, how can our noisy, grubby neighbours and a minnow club from sleepy Lincoln be in the limelight while we skulk in the shadows ?

Comments

• Why or why, Lincs?

You know why. It's Katrien and Roland who don't understand what a football club is all about.

• Oggy Red said:

Why or why, Lincs?

You know why. It's Katrien and Roland who don't understand what a football club is all about.

mmmmm .. major reason, BUT, methinks it goes a little deeper than that,
  • Oggy Red said:

Why or why, Lincs?

to them its just another rd global enterprise
    its all about the business model
  • Our grubby neighbors will show what they're really all about tomorrow. So nothing to be envious about at all.
  • Regardless of anything that happens I will never envy a Millwall supporter
  • I'm not sure we can put the blame on RD and KM for not being a potential giant killer in the FA Cup Quarter Finals but I don't expect much fun while they are in charge.
  • Some club owners want their club to win, some just want to have a nice day
  • Plus you can't underestimate the impact of the Brexit vote on powering Lincoln to the FA Cup Quarters
  • Not jelous of Lincoln. 100% Behind them. Our clubs are not comparable. We are enjoying probably one of the worst sequences of the clubs history though.

I don't want Millwall having their annual wembley trip. It's getting ridiculous now.

I believe it's time for Spurs to take this cup very seriously and they will simply brush em aside.

You've gotta admit, Millwall are a very good cup team. Where as we are quite literally the polar opposite...

Sigh.
  • Sponsored links:

• I always wonder how this kind of malaise can effect one club for years and years and years. The owners are different, the management are different, the players are different, yet still, as Charlton Athletic the closest we have come to cup glory in 70 years are a couple of quarter finals where we stunk the place out with our performances.
  • Didn't think we were that bad at Old Trafford

We lost 3-1 to 10 men. But I know what you mean, in fairness we did make a fist of it. So one half decent but ultimately fruitless performance in 70 years. Come on C n C, indulge me... :wink:
  • It has to be said that our FA Cup and League Cup record is pathetic though, even during the good times!
    No semi finals since 1947 is terrible, considering that virtually every established team in the top 2 divisions will have reached a final or won it during that period.
  • Millwall, Palace, Fulham, Watford have all reached the final in relatively recent times, Fulham reached the semis in 2002, while even Orient reached the semis in 1978
  • It has to be said that our FA Cup and League Cup record is pathetic though, even during the good times!
    No semi finals since 1947 is terrible, considering that virtually every established team in the top 2 divisions will have reached a final or won it during that period.

We must have one of the worst league cup records going, I recall very little success in that one.
  • se9addick said:

It has to be said that our FA Cup and League Cup record is pathetic though, even during the good times!

We must have one of the worst league cup records going, I recall very little success in that one.
    Especially when you look at some of the teams who've won it

Luton, Swansea, Swindon, Oxford. Birmingham and Norwich have won it TWICE!

Finalists include giants such as Rochdale, Bradford, Oldham, Tranmere, Rotherham and Wigan
  • edited March 2017
    Ipswich, Wolves, QPR, WBA, Brighton, Plymouth, Luton, Sheff Weds, Norwich, Oldham, Portsmouth, Sheff Utd, Wimbledon, Chesterfield, Bolton, Wycombe, Blackburn, Barnsley, Cardiff, Reading, Wigan, Stoke, Blackpool, Derby, Birmingham. Preston, Port Vale, York, Luton, Burnley, Swansea and Hull have all reached semi finals or better since 1947. All are clubs I would put us at least on a par with.

I think I am right in saying that the only club currently in the top two divisions that has graced the premier league, but not reached a post war semi final, is Bournemouth.
  • Both Lincoln & Millwall took a walloping, but two things ... 1) They both will have learnt a lot from the rather humbling experience, and 2), (a subject close to my heart), they will have made a LOT of money to go towards future development
  • In fairness an early exit from a cup completion was a long established Charlton tradition way before KM and Roland
  • Sponsored links:

We lost 3-1 to 10 men. But I know what you mean, in fairness we did make a fist of it. So one half decent but ultimately fruitless performance in 70 years. Come on C n C, indulge me... :wink:
    Ok fair enough,seemed to remember Man U seemed to go.up a hear that day after the sending off.

Ok fair enough,seemed to remember Man U seemed to go.up a hear that day after the sending off.
    Yes they did. Kanchelskis was unplayable in the second half.

Yes they did. Kanchelskis was unplayable in the second half.
    What was more frustrating is that we went to pieces after that game, sliding from a form team heading for the playoffs to being right out of contention

"Things can only get better" was a complete lie!