Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Millwall's footballing way forward the same as Charlton's ?

edited March 2017 in General Charlton
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/10/millwall-football-club-neutrals-starting-like-do-care/

Forget the rest of the article. I'm talking about Academy players in the first team.

"In a league dominated by short-term deals and wandering journeymen, Millwall’s trust in continuity stands out. The average player has been at the club for four years. Academy graduates make up around a third of the squad, and Kavanagh says the eventual goal is to raise that to 50 per cent."

Comments

• Options
    Grooming the future stars of your own football team?
    Where's the money in that? Nuts :wink:
    And who's this,Kavanagh guy - he seems to know what he's doing.
    Maybe there is a niche for a football club with a clear vision for football success but who is going to support that? :smile:
  • Options
    Charlton's.

See separate pedantic thread.
  • Options

Theirs is to develop players for their​ first team and win games.

Ours is to develop players, often bought from overseas, to be sold. Winning or losing games is irrelevant.

The other key difference is they have a competent CEO and staff capable of delivering the strategy, we have someone who can't be trusted to speak in public and can mess up a player of the year event she's not even meant to be involved in.

Sad but all true.

• Options
    More like donkeys from what I've been watching for the past year or so.
  • Options
    Well, to brighten up a shit weekend we can watch our chums from down the road making complete arses of themselves live on tv today.

can't wait.
  • Options

Well, to brighten up a shit weekend we can watch our chums from down the road making complete arses of themselves live on tv today.

can't wait.

Well that was a bright spot :smile:
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

can't wait.

it's the fans i feel sorry for.....

PMSL.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a whopper lads... have it stuffed in a glass case over your fire place!
  • Options

Kap10 said:

can't wait.

PMSL.
    Yeah, gutted. What a **** season we're having! Ok we got tonked by a s*** hot premier league team in the quarter finals of the fa cup, but at least we got there! Also, went 17 game unbeaten before yesterday, taken three premier league scalps along the way, looking comfortable for the play offs, still unbeaten in the league in something like 14 games. A club legend managing the team, a squad full of young home grown players , Gee shucks. Glad you feel sorry for us! What I would do to swap places with Charlton! PMSL more :smiley:
    but you always come back to your favourite forum.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

can't wait.

PMSL.
    Yeah, gutted. What a **** season we're having! Ok we got tonked by a s*** hot premier league team in the quarter finals of the fa cup, but at least we got there! Also, went 17 game unbeaten before yesterday, taken three premier league scalps along the way, looking comfortable for the play offs, still unbeaten in the league in something like 14 games. A club legend managing the team, a squad full of young home grown players , Gee shucks. Glad you feel sorry for us! What I would do to swap places with Charlton! PMSL more :smiley:
    but you always come back to your favourite forum.
    Touché. Great reply. Got me there.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

can't wait.

PMSL.
    Well you swapped forums easily enough !!

• Options

Kap10 said:

can't wait.

PMSL.
    Well you swapped forums easily enough !!

https://youtu.be/KBWuDhIv9B0