Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lee Novak - This has been my worst ever season

Comments

• Oggy Red said:

cabbles said:

Also that pathetic cupping of the ear he did when scoring against Chesterfield at home. That wound me up

He scored something like 15 goals in 35 games on loan last season at Chesterfield, didn't he?

You'd think in that case he'd have enjoyed his time there, but maybe there was tension behind the scenes and he felt he had a point to prove?
    In any case, IMO it's always best just to let your football prove a point when playing against your old club.
    I know, but he cupped his ear at the covered end :smiley: it was in response to us
  • cabbles said:

Oggy Red said:

cabbles said:

Also that pathetic cupping of the ear he did when scoring against Chesterfield at home. That wound me up

He scored something like 15 goals in 35 games on loan last season at Chesterfield, didn't he?

You'd think in that case he'd have enjoyed his time there, but maybe there was tension behind the scenes and he felt he had a point to prove?
    In any case, IMO it's always best just to let your football prove a point when playing against your old club.
    I know, but he cupped his ear at the covered end :smiley: it was in response to us
    Ah .... I see. Some fans had been giving him a lot of stick at the game, then?
    And the player has the audacity to respond .....

;o)

As I said before though, best to let your football prove your point.

• he was a bad signing ... I'd seen him play 4 or 5 times with different clubs before he signed for us and was underwhelmed to say the least .. he's not a natural goal scorer, not a midfielder nor defender, just one of those mediocre all-rounders (lol) who somehow keep getting gigs with middle ranking clubs .. one decent season on loan at Chesterfield was not evidence enough to justify his move to us .. Slade brought in some decent players, Novak was not one of them
  • Greenie said:

JamesSeed said:

Greenie said:

So does Novak want us to feel sorry for him.......?

Come on, a little unfair...
    Not at all. He's a pro footballer who is paid to score goals, that is what he was bought for, he has missed many sitters and like many of them in this squad is not fit to wear the shirt.
    That may well be true, but that wasn't what I was commenting on with all due etc
  • Swisdom said:

"He was so confident, he went up and grabbed the ball. I don’t think anyone else put themselves forward".

So our gameplan doesn't involve a nominated penalty taker??

What other basics don't we have in place? (appreciate that may be a long list).

Holmes had gone off the pitch
    I played football to a pretty crap level and this was covered. A player with a designated job is substituted in every game (on the basis that everyone has a job to do and that there is at least one substitution in every game).
    Jacko would have been the other designated penalty taker - he too was off the pitch.

Fair enough, two of the allocated penalty takers are off the pitch so maybe planning doesn't go that far....

But should it? We have plenty of clip boards on the bench, probably in the stands, and probably in their pants on a laptop somewhere. They know who is on the pitch and who can do what. Still seems strange to me that at this level we are reliant on someone "putting themselves forward" to take a critical late penalty. What if Watt hadn't fancied it either?

Maybe one of those scenarios you can't plan for and in Watt we do now have a 3rd pen taker.
  • Charltonised.
  • Swisdom said:

"He was so confident, he went up and grabbed the ball. I don’t think anyone else put themselves forward".

I played football to a pretty crap level and this was covered. A player with a designated job is substituted in every game (on the basis that everyone has a job to do and that there is at least one substitution in every game).
    Jacko would have been the other designated penalty taker - he too was off the pitch.

Fair enough, two of the allocated penalty takers are off the pitch so maybe planning doesn't go that far....

But should it? We have plenty of clip boards on the bench, probably in the stands, and probably in their pants on a laptop somewhere. They know who is on the pitch and who can do what. Still seems strange to me that at this level we are reliant on someone "putting themselves forward" to take a critical late penalty. What if Watt hadn't fancied it either?

Maybe one of those scenarios you can't plan for and in Watt we do now have a 3rd pen taker.
    Jacko was on the pitch, looking disgruntled as to not being able to take the penalty.
  • Swisdom said:

Jacko was on the pitch, looking disgruntled as to not being able to take the penalty.
    Curiouser and Curiouser - So we do have a penalty taker on the pitch (who is also club captain). Oh well, I'm sure they all know what they are doing...
  • Will he still be saying that when we win the play-offs though?
  • This season's Paul Hayes, with added charltonisation thrown in
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

To be fair Jacko's penalty success rate over the past few seasons has been terrible so probably best he doesn't take them!
  • Swisdom said:

To be fair Jacko's penalty success rate over the past few seasons has been terrible so probably best he doesn't take them!
    The only penalty I can remember him missing was Blackburn at home our first season back up in the Championship and the last penalty he took he scored at Oxford (I think). I was surprised he didn't take it
  • Missed against Rochdale this season at home.
  • He's missed others too
  • Why have we had so many injuries in the past 2 seasons - there must be something wrong with the training/conditioning/motivational regime.
  • Vaguely remember him missing 3-4 in a row a few years back.
  • LouisMend said:

Missed against Rochdale this season at home.

Holmes missed one at Gillingham this season .. Ajose (who he?) scored a last minute pen in the same game
  • Novak missed one against Crawley as well in the EFL Trophy.
  • Oggy Red said:

cabbles said:

Oggy Red said:

cabbles said:

Ah .... I see. Some fans had been giving him a lot of stick at the game, then?
    And the player has the audacity to respond .....

;o)

As I said before though, best to let your football prove your point.

But he hadn't been getting stick. If anything people had shown a lot of patience with someone who was well overweight and had done very little up to then.

I would have moved him and Ajose (I don't care what he does for Swindon he was a flake here) on in the window and got some others in.
  • LouisMend said:

Was that before or after Oxford away. Bloody hell, my memory is shocking, cannot remember that at all
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

LouisMend said:

Was that before or after Oxford away. Bloody hell, my memory is shocking, cannot remember that at all
    After, the one we got at Oxford was the first penalty we'd been awarded in well over a year I think
  • cabbles said:

I'm not sure about him. Heard he's on silly money and granted he had that injury, but he's got a fat backside. In this day and age, and if he's on the sort of money he's on, he should be more on keeping with the modern day athleticism that the game requires. From what I've seen of him he looks lazy.

He was awful up at Rochdale, Shrewsbury and Northampton despite KR saying he put a shift in.

Looked marginally more mobile on Tuesday.

"Heard he's on silly money"......source????
    Contract negotiations conducted by Daisy - that will tell you all you need to know.
    Struth, I'm going to get down to the Valley about 10.30 one morning in case she spots me. I should be good for at least 3 "keepy ups" these days, thats got to be worth. £1500 a week on a five year deal. ;)
  • edited March 2017
    Top 6 budget and we are paying 6 grand for that? I want my f****** my money back! If true then someone needs shooting.
  • edited March 2017

• This has been my worst season as well. Funny that!
  • me and Josh (Magennis) have done well and been a bit of a handful. When Tony (Watt) came on we saw how good he is as well
    erm what?! Id like my strikers to score
  • sm said:

Why have we had so many injuries in the past 2 seasons - there must be something wrong with the training/conditioning/motivational regime.

Why are our guys overweight? And not as fit as the opposition (how many times do we fade in the latter stages?)
  • No doubt we have to pay silly money to get these players to come to our basket case club!
  • Don't worry Lee, next season will be even worse.
  • edited March 2017
    He's not been charltonized. He was crap before he came. Utterly uninspiring player.