Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ian Hammerton

Anyone who was at Hurstmere in the late 70's/80's will remember Mr Hammerton the music teacher. He's recently been on a few D Day documentaries as he was a tank captain at the time. Only just found out he died in January, he was a lovely bloke (and a good teacher) & was always ready to talk about his wartime experiences.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/d-day-veteran-remembered-121148/

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Yeah I remember him. I was at Hustmere during late 70's early 80's so remember other ex-military teachers such as Mr Donovan, Mr Woodward, Mr Sancto etc.... Anyone else at Hurstmere during this time and remember any teachers or pupils?
  • Yeah I remember him. I was at Hustmere during late 70's early 80's so remember other ex-military teachers such as Mr Donovan, Mr Woodward, Mr Sancto etc.... Anyone else at Hurstmere during this time and remember any teachers or pupils?

The guy with the wooden leg (Mattingly I think), who lost it whilst a Japanese prisoner of war and was involved with building the Burma railway.

Also Mustoe, the science teacher who always seemed drunk. Think he was a Spitfire pilot.

My first teacher there was Mr Fiddler, whose name didn't have the connotations it has now (he'd be crucified)

Was there between 79-85
  • Yeah I remember him. I was at Hustmere during late 70's early 80's so remember other ex-military teachers such as Mr Donovan, Mr Woodward, Mr Sancto etc.... Anyone else at Hurstmere during this time and remember any teachers or pupils?

Blimey, I left Hurstmere in 1969 and remember those three names from then!

John Turner was the sports teacher then, cracking bloke!
  • edited March 2017

Yeah I remember him. I was at Hustmere during late 70's early 80's so remember other ex-military teachers such as Mr Donovan, Mr Woodward, Mr Sancto etc.... Anyone else at Hurstmere during this time and remember any teachers or pupils?

The guy with the wooden leg (Mattingly I think), who lost it whilst a Japanese prisoner of war and was involved with building the Burma railway.

Also Mustoe, the science teacher who always seemed drunk. Think he was a Spitfire pilot.

My first teacher there was Mr Fiddler, whose name didn't have the connotations it has now (he'd be crucified)

Was there between 79-85
    Yep DaveM know all of them..... Yes it was Mr Mattingly - he was head of the First Year and had his office in the "new" block. Also teachers like Mr Conlon (Spod), Mr Syred, Mr Williams, Miss Hanbury, Mr Childs (Art), Mr Avory (of course), Mr Parfitt... etc..

I knew Mr Hammerton pretty well as I was involved in Music at the time.

Was there 78 - 84

Was there between 79-85
    Yep DaveM know all of them..... Yes it was Mr Mattingly - he was head of the First Year and had his office in the "new" block. Also teachers like Mr Conlon (Spod), Mr Syred, Mr Williams, Miss Hanbury, Mr Childs (Art), Mr Avory (of course), Mr Parfitt... etc..

I knew Mr Hammerton pretty well as I was involved in Music at the time.

Was there 78 - 84
    Spod, if ever there was a wrong un, it was him. Looking back, they were a pretty decent bunch of guys, especially Mr Williams (the black one), Winter and Smoughton.
  • edited March 2017
    Mr Mercer, the American Biology teacher whose lessons were mainly teaching kids to plant potatoes on the allotment up in the Glade.
    Spod - I don't know how he was a music teacher. You always knew he was around due to the smell! Cos I played piano, I sometimes had to sit on the plastic covered piano stool after he had sat on it - and it was like sitting on a wet patch :-(