Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shaun Newton wanted by police

Comments

• Options
    I think the standard of the Premiership has improved significantly since we were relegated in 2007 and even more so since Newton's career peaked.

I simply don't believe that if he had been born 10-15 years later that he would have made it at that level with his abilities.
  • Options

I think the standard of the Premiership has improved significantly since we were relegated in 2007 and even more so since Newton's career peaked.

I simply don't believe that if he had been born 10-15 years later that he would have made it at that level with his abilities.

He was never really a PL level player even in his playing days was he?

Indeed that was why he left us in the first place, as he wasn't a regular starter
  • Options
    Read a great book recently "Retired - What Happens to footballers when the game's up". Would highly recommend.

Amongst the stats it quotes are that half of professional footballers face the threat of bankruptcy within 5 years of retirement.

Not excusing it for a minute but no wonder some go off the rails.
  • Options
    I remember him being one of my favorite players. My memory is pretty awful though.

This sounds like quite a shameful thing. He is an idiot but considering his age, judging objectively on this giving him the benefit of the doubt, he clearly does not have much love around him.
  • Options

He was never really a PL level player even in his playing days was he?

Indeed that was why he left us in the first place, as he wasn't a regular starter
    Broadly agree but didn't he play in the Prem for part of his periods at Wolves, West Ham and Leicester?

Either way my point is that if the issue is (as someone suggested) that he's being eaten up inside by how much his contemporaries are earning today, then it's a bit daft as he wasn't as good as they are!
  • Options
    This is so sad.
    It's unbelievably thin that line between keeping your nut down to become a successful footballer & being swept up in the murky world of drugs & crime.
    And it doesn't get any easier once you finish your footballing career.
    Seen it all too often.
    Give it up Newts & get help fella xx
  • Options

This is so sad.
    It's unbelievably thin that line between keeping your nut down to become a successful footballer & being swept up in the murky world of drugs & crime.
    Seen it all too often.

is it?

• Options

Got done for Cocaine at Wet Spam.

It's an expensive habit, IF still hooked...

Didn't he try and say that it was the first time he'd ever taken it when he got caught?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Ex Charlton players turning to crime or having brushes with the police is starting to become like dead wrestlers from the WWF/wcw for me. You get notified and your reaction is 'bloody hell, him as well'

Apart from Rufus who else has been in trouble ? Genuine question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think I must have been about 10 whenever he scored that header - felt like it was from the half way line at the time.

Was it against West Brom ? Anyone know the year ?
  • Options

This is so sad.
    Seen it all too often.

is it?

Yes.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

cabbles said:

Ex Charlton players turning to crime or having brushes with the police is starting to become like dead wrestlers from the WWF/wcw for me. You get notified and your reaction is 'bloody hell, him as well'

Marcus Bent, Nathan Ashton
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I think I must have been about 10 whenever he scored that header - felt like it was from the half way line at the time.

Was it against West Brom ? Anyone know the year ?

I think it was his first, thinking tranmere? Maybe wolves?
  • Options
    Huddersfield
  • Options
    se9addick said:

cabbles said:

Oh and Amdy Faye for impersonating a footballer.
  • Options

Given that you picked me up on my English some time back, I have great pleasure in pointing out that there is no such thing as "Premiership"; try "Premier League" - Karma :-)
  • Options

This is so sad.
    Seen it all too often.

is it?

Yes.
    I really don't understand how that works?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Talal said:

se9addick said:

cabbles said:

Steve Jones (not in the same league though)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

cabbles said:

Marcus Bent
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Not saying that I really have any sympathy for a lot of them, but it really really would kill me inside if I was a fantastic footballer whose career ended, or even ended just after big money became a thing in football... I would be completely gutted that were I born a few years later I would be worth an absolute fortune.

Can you think of any other job that has had such a huge wage inflation? Serious question (some jokes allowed though!)

Apparently failed lawyers who then become a CEO command such a huge rise in wages there not even put in the accounts. :smiley:
  • Options
    Saw him in the Harvester at Crown Point back in the day!! Was with the wife and nippers, we were all star struck (well, me and the boys) didn't bother him for a autograph as he was with his wife and kids as well!
    No camera phones in them days either!!! Must admit I really liked him as a player for Charlton.
    Sad to read and hear this............
  • Options
    Talal said:

se9addick said:

cabbles said:

Bent was always a wrong'un, even before he joined us.

Don't even remember Nathan Ashton let alone his crimes !
  • Options
    Seems somehow out of character which demonstrates that we know bugger all about most players who wear the shirt which is essentially the tenor of Gary Nelson's book
  • Options

Seems somehow out of character which demonstrates that we know bugger all about most players who wear the shirt which is essentially the tenor of Gary Nelson's book

In 2008 Newton was found guilty of nine counts of attempting to pervert the course of justice. Newton had attempted to bypass the speeding ticket procedure for fellow footballers, Teddy Sheringham and Bobby Zamora by "losing" the tickets which had been sent to them. He was given a 28-week sentence suspended for two years and ordered to do 180 hours unpaid community service. Newton was also ordered to pay £1,939 in costs and was disqualified from driving for one year.
  • Options
    Elliott omozusi was convicted of intimidating a witness in a murder trial and sentenced to two and a half years in prison
  • Options
    He needs counselling and help just to help find a steady career. Sporting Chance should help.