Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greatest comebacks of all time

Mike Bushell speaking on BBC Breakfast has just compared Charlton's comeback against Huddersfield in 1957 to Barcalona last night against Paris St Germain, would you ever believe that we could be compared to the greatest club in the world?

Comments

• Options
    I have to say my first thought when I heard the result from barca was "I bet the charlton v huddersfield game will be compared to it".
  • Options

Mike Bushell speaking on BBC Breakfast has just compared Charlton's comeback against Huddersfield in 1957 to Barcalona last night against Paris St Germain, would you ever believe that we could be compared to the greatest club in the world?

Not getting me name read out on BBC Breakfast after emailing Mike Bushell to bring up the great comeback of '57 v Hudds while reporting the Barca v PSG last night

• Options
    Last night was not a "comeback" it was a "buyback".
  • Options

would you ever believe that we could be compared to the greatest club in the world?

Real Madrid?
  • Options
    For me last night doesnt even compare to the amazing back n forth Play-Off final game in '98.

Wasnt a comeback from us but to finish 4-4 with each team taking it in turns to score with neither taking a 2-goal lead is amazing
  • Options

How can you compare Charlton with Charlton? If you think the Catalan national team, with added buy ins, are the greatest club, why are you here? :wink:

I detest Barcelona and every club like them with every fibre of my body...
  • Options

How can you compare Charlton with Charlton? If you think the Catalan national team, with added buy ins, are the greatest club, why are you here? :wink:

I detest Barcelona and every club like them with every fibre of my body...
    How come?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton 5-3 Barnsley in 85 (i think).
    Charlton 3-3 Wolves from 0-3 in the early 80s, with Wolves needing a win to go up.

Obviously both greater than beating a top European team over 2 legs !
  • Options
    Losing 3-0 away at Newcastle and coming back to win 4-3 back in (around) 1991. Fantastic comeback, with the added bonus that we didn't need a Suarez Rolling about on the floor feigning injury to get a penalty.
    Added bonus for me is that I was there.
  • Options
    1st Leg QPR 6 Partizan Belgrade 2
    2nd Leg Partizan Belgrade 4 QPR 0
  • Options

1st Leg QPR 6 Partizan Belgrade 2
    2nd Leg Partizan Belgrade 4 QPR 0

Difficult to use European fixtures from the 60s / 70s / 80s because the style of play has changed a lot over the last decade.

i.e. the condition of pitches is a lot better and similar in West and East Europe, plus its easier to travel anywhere in the world these days so those factors dont need to take into consideration
  • Options
    All seems a bit suspect to me.

Last night, not the 7-6.
  • Options
    Dirty Den or Bobby Ewing must be up there (with Harold Bishop a close 3rd)
  • Options
    only 3-3 but liverpool winning the champs league was a good watch.
  • Options
    We were also 4-0 down at half time against Leicester City in the League Cup and came back to draw 4-4.

I recall playing in a game where we were 6-0 up and drew 6-6. I think the fourth goal we conceded was my fault!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jesus' comeback weren't bad I spose?
  • Options
    The comeback of Lazarus was pretty impressive as well.
  • Options
    Man city would have to be up there.

Once when they were 3-0 down at Spurs and down to 10 men and won 4-3, and also when they scored twice in injury time to win the league v QPR.
  • Options

Jesus' comeback weren't bad I spose?

I don't thing he's back yet - hopefully will be in time for Easter though.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-city-striker-gabriel-jesus-9981812.amp
  • Options
    Obviously the 7-6 is phenomenal.

Barcelona, however, did need three goals in the last eight minutes (taking into account added on time).

It's still pretty special. And they should both be lauded.

(But obviously, CAFC shade it ;) )
  • Options
    Ryan Giggs with his Mrs after getting caught out knobbing his brothers bird.
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

The comeback of Lazarus was pretty impressive as well.

That must have been a QPR game.
  • Options
    I didn’t think there was any coming back following the 2 1 defeat to Northampton Town, particularly following the manager’s remarks. There was ‘nothink’ he could do, the players were deadwood that needed cutting out and there was a poor behavioral pattern within the squad that had never been seen before …ever ... anywhere.

Just three days later our magnificent manager had woven these misfits into a cohesive force that smashed Scunthorpe United 2 1. Furthermore he spoke with pride of his players, their application and dedication to the cause. He even singled out Tex amongst others for special praise.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    When rocky f'd up the Russian
  • Options
    7-6 v Huddersfield , 5 - 1 down with 22 minutes left and only had 10 men. Barcelona beat that !!