Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Red, White and Black Day this Saturday

https://t.co/V3t7gCkVwv

Good to see this continuing.

Proud to have handed out leaflets at the first one back in the early 90s.

I hope it gets more publicity and attention than the Football v Homophobia game did.

Comments

• Agreed,very pleased this continues as a match event.
  • stonemuse said:

Agreed,very pleased this continues as a match event.

And that the club can manage not to cut off one of the guests being interviewed on the pitch with a stadium announcement calling last orders in Crossbars.
  • Well done Tracey
  • Top work, Charlton were doing this long before it was common place in football and long may it continue.

There is still a huge disparity in the racial make up of the crowd at the Valley and the surrounding area, why do people think that is ? Could the club be doing more to engage with local community groups to change that ?
  • How comes that it's only announced a few days before the actual date? Shouldn't the club be shouting about this in the preceding weeks (not a dig, just a question out of interest as its such a well known event)?
  • Well done to everyone involved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great theme:
    All together now
    All together now
    All together now, sing: F*ck off Roland!
  • well done Tracey, hope it goes well, but for obvious reasons I won't be there.
  • se9addick said:

Top work, Charlton were doing this long before it was common place in football and long may it continue.

There is still a huge disparity in the racial make up of the crowd at the Valley and the surrounding area, why do people think that is ? Could the club be doing more to engage with local community groups to change that ?

Charlton and the surrounding areas are racially very diverse but also quite poor. An afternoon at the Valley for a Dad and kids is financially beyond most.

I recently brought some of the great and good of Bollywood for a game and `underwhelmed' is a polite term for the afternoon (they also didn't want to buy the club).
  • se9addick said:

Top work, Charlton were doing this long before it was common place in football and long may it continue.

One of the things that always annoys me.

The fact that the Media always suck up to clubs and congratulate them when they do things like this (along with Football for a Fiver or Academy day) yet fail to realise that Charlton started the trend a long time before and get barely any recognition
  • Tracey said:

Love this video. Love the people who helped to make this happen. Love all the Charlton fans who for 25years have been at the forefront to make a difference xx
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1dwp9R75ZI&feature=youtu.be

Great vid but wow, ain't Morts looking old?
  • Sponsored links:

• Good video, glad this work continues
  • Morts is 48.
  • Tracey said:

@Stig

Great vid but wow, ain't Morts looking old?

They are getting older! But what a beautiful man he is inside and out. Ask Carl..... but then again don't....he says I am to blame for his grey hairs.... lol

Hi @Tracey, will you and Carl be walking with the Upbeats next month?
  • @TCE
    I am definitely but just waiting to see if Carl has to work.
  • Well done Tracey for your hard work.
    Morts still looks good, I can't work out if he is wearing a cardigan or not. Top man if he is.
  • Tracey said:

@TCE
    I am definitely but just waiting to see if Carl has to work.

Carl is still traumatised from Shooters Hill :-)
  • Paul Mortimer ❤️

This.

Not forgetting Carlo, too.

Great initiative and always has been. Get your grubby mitts off it, Meire!
  • Been a great event each year, Charlton at the forefront of football against racism.

As an aside, Tuesdays game is for Mens Health day and will have collection for Prostate cancer charity outside the ground, by some members of the CACT mens health group.
  • Pleased that red white and black day continues.

We definitely saw more diversity in the crowd once the campaign got the message out in the early days.
    It seemed to be a much bigger event back in the early days but perhaps this perception is due to being at the centre of it.

Now the club pays so much for PR these days I would have expected to be more aware of this event.
    Of course it could be argued that the message has largely been sent out that The Valley is a safe and welcoming place for all so it isn't necessary to make too big a point?

When the work first began, we were in a very different situation. When we left The Valley members of racist organisations would openly sell their papers outside Harvey Gardens. Some local residents were genuinely frightened of what might happen to them when we moved back.

It is something we can all be proud of that at one of the most momentous times since I have followed the club, we reached out to reassure local residents and make it clear to our own that racism wouldn't to tolerated.

Perhaps Lifers who have never been involved have a view on the profile of red, white and black events today compared to the early days?