Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Meire on the BBC

Squirrel Face interviewed on BBC Radio 4's Today about the need for more women on the FA. Self publicising as ever, given quite an easy time. Will be on the iplayer when the show ends. It came on about 8.30am (two and half hours into the programme)

Comments

• edited March 2017
  • So have Pitch let her remove her gag?
  • International Women's Day dontcha know.

• So have Pitch let her remove her gag?

Only when she can 1) publicise herself 2) it's an utterly safe environment.
  • How many porkies did she tell?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2017
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08gwfqp go to 2:29:30

At the moment, cuts off before end of interview - maybe try again later in the day?
  • I was screaming and swearing at the radio as I was driving to the office this morning. God only knows what other road users would have thought.
  • Nothing new there then.
  • Nothing new there then.

Apologies. Thought that said Merde
  • Little of substance. "When things are difficult you learn the most. Charlton are a club that should be in the Championship." She must have learnt a hell of a lot in the last three years then.
  • I have e-mailed Today. I have put a copy on the "Club's proposal for new look player of the year" thread.

Top man
  • Sponsored links:

• I am by NO means her biggest fan (and I still think she should resign), but I actually thought she came across OK this morning.

I don't think it's fair to say she was playing the 'gender' card (certainly not in respect of her own experience) - it's clearly what the interviewer was looking for but I think she did quite well not to go down that route. She did admit (almost grudgingly it seems) that some of the abuse she received reference her gender, but then what else could she say? She also accepted that others in her position are also subject to the same level of abuse. I certainly don't feel she was playing the victim - I wouldn't be surprised if she's been advised against this.

The interviewer did press her a little on Charlton's poor performance, but this was never going to be the focus of the interview on International Women's Day on Radio 4.

The two most interesting points for me were that she has ruled herself out of applying for a role on the FA Board (presumably under advice), and secondly that she believes Charlton should be in the Championship. I think this confirms what we all suspected about the long-term ambition for the club (i.e. that there is none). Not sure whether or not she intended to let this slip?
  • Re the FA board, do we know how the appointments are to be made?

Perhaps "application" will not be the route, and although she was trying to appear very modest and saying her FA experience was limited, I suspect she expects the 3 women for the board to be appointed from the small cohort of women already at the FA, and that she stands an excellent chance of being one of them if she keeps her nose clean.
  • N01R4M said:

Re the FA board, do we know how the appointments are to be made?

Perhaps "application" will not be the route, and although she was trying to appear very modest and saying her FA experience was limited, I suspect she expects the 3 women for the board to be appointed from the small cohort of women already at the FA, and that she stands an excellent chance of being one of them if she keeps her nose clean.

Yeh but it's not a normal sized nose :wink: .
  • Liked the way the presenter went for her over her record with us. It's disappointing for women as a whole and us, that she's one of a few in the game and gets this exposure by default
  • iainment said:

She came across ok I thought. But yes it was a gentle interview.
    Most interesting to me was when asked about abuse, particularly sexist abuse, she said some abuse references her sex unnecessarily.
    So the message should be for those who do use sexist terms against her don't, because to outsiders it really diminishes our cause.
    She does giggle a lot.

Indeed. All sounded rather innocuous to me.