Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Franking Machines - boring topic

Anyone on here work in the Franking machine industry - if there is such a thing.

I need a new one for work and just wondered if anyone had any tips

Comments

• Try email - it's the next big thing
  • Swisdom said:

Anyone on here work in the Franking machine industry - if there is such a thing.

Steer clear of Pitney Bowes.
  • Try email - it's the next big thing

I exchange about 100 per day and am bored of them. I want to send some shite by snail mail
  • robroy said:

Swisdom said:

That's who we are tied to at the moment - and have just tried to tie me in for 5 more years hence looking around but not easy to get prices without giving everyone my information and getting a hard sell

• Try FPmailing in Dartford
  • You're selling yourself short, that's a First-Class Post

These puns are getting out of hand, it needs to be stamped out...
  • Swisdom said:

robroy said:

Swisdom said:

That's who we are tied to at the moment - and have just tried to tie me in for 5 more years hence looking around but not easy to get prices without giving everyone my information and getting a hard sell

Let me ask the question tomorrow at work, we moved from Pitney Bowes to someone else after getting done over.
  • Franking machine lease companies are the biggest bunch of frigging cowboys this side of the Rio Grande. The machine is as technically sophisticated as a potato peeler but will cost upwards of a £1k if you buy one and ten times that if you lease one.

Then you have to pay licence fees to Royal Mail and if you want a firm to service the machine it will make a monthly support charge more than a car service contract, even though there's nothing to break.

When stamp rates go up you get mugged for the price of a new Apple computer to get a replacement chip. Then you pay through the nose for stationary supplies you have to get from Pitney Bowes.

Others may have better experiences. Last week we got an invoice for servicing a franking machine under a contract that ended three years ago. The firm went bust but kept the client list and occasionally send an invoice in the hope that some might get paid I guess.

They are essentially finance companies using credit card rates of interest.

We now buy stamps from cash and carry for a discount and stick them on envelopes. Before that, after binning the franking machine we used the Royal Mail's own service to buy postage online and print post paid address labels from the computer using mail merge.
  • They have now clamped down on this and companies are not allowed to lease equitment to customers for more than book price. I work in the copier/print industry and there are plenty of cowboys out there.

We paid £25k for a franking machine worth £1,200z
  • Sponsored links:

• First trains. Now stamps. FFS. We really need to address this situation.
  • It might be possible to employ somebody, glad of some work, to stick stamps on envelopes and you still save money.
  • Can't be many Football forums with a thread on franking machines. We're really pushing the envelope with this one.
  • i nearly got fooled there into thinking you could have a team of dogs licking the stamps before I remembered that not only would that be a gross abuse of animal rights, also you'd get dog slobber on the envelopes, but also every stamp I have bought for years is self adhesive....
  • Franking makes sense.
  • Franking sense... honestly you'll be recommending Myrhhe next.
  • This is the kind of content I come to Charlton Life for.
  • Ask Frank.
  • Can we just close this post man?
  • Just get one of these with a made-up licence number - no one will check will they...... :wink:

• Sponsored links:

• Try FPmailing in Dartford

We'll give it a go later. Cheers

• This is right up my strata
  • ....sorry miss read the title
  • We have a franking machine at work that I sometimes use, it's about as useful at doing its job as Karal Fraeye was.
  • Can we just close this post man?

Say stoppit like you mean it, not like when your girlfriend's giving you a tickle. :smile:
  • "- boring topic" in the title of this thread.

No shit!
  • "- boring topic" in the title of this thread.

No shit!

I put it there...just to stop comments like that.

If one of the recommendations saves my company a few hundred pounds AND puts some business to a local firm who are more likely to look after me then that's all good.

Sorry for inconveniencing you though

• edited March 2017
    Swisdom said:

"- boring topic" in the title of this thread.

No shit!

If one of the recommendations saves my company a few hundred pounds AND puts some business to a local firm who are more likely to look after me then that's all good.

It was meant in jest. Love a 'boring' thread, otherwise I wouldn't be in here.

Although if I see "Franking Machines - exciting topic" I'll know our footballing performances have somehow got even worse.
  • Swisdom said:

"- boring topic" in the title of this thread.

No shit!

Glad this had a happy ending, I couldn't sleep all night thinking about this roller coaster of a dilemma!

Can't wait for next week's thread on some Lifer asking about photocopier leasing.
  • I'll come up with something equally life shattering next week....I bet you can't wait