Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Francis Kone , has now saved the lives of 4 fellow players

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/06/francis-kone-player-could-have-died-togo-czech-republic?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Saw the incident on TV last week, and a brief interview with him but did not pick up that it wasn't the first time he had done something like this. Top man.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting read. Working, kind of, in construction I am required to take First Aid training every 3 years, as I am sure a lot of Lifers are. I wonder if footballers do the same? Also, with injuries that are clearly serious like that, it is stupid that the medical teams have to wait for the ref to wave them on, and to be honest they should also have the courage to ignore that rule if they can see an emergency medical situation unfolding.

• Options
    The medical team, if seriously concerned about a player WILL run onto the pitch regardless of the ref.
    Players are aware of basic things like swallowing a tongue etc but things like a player being knocked out, are often seen doing the wrong things such as turning them onto their side.
    I am sure they would benefit from a form of first aid, but wouldn't everybody!?
  • Options
    You can't swallow a tongue! It's physically impossible. It can block the airway but hands in mouths is a dangerous thing to do in a few ways, which is why the head tilt is recommended. At least it was, unless the advice has changed.
  • Options
    Too most people its swallowing your tongue, and in simple terms always best to describe it as that. People often assume that clearing it with a finger sweep is the best way to clear it, but this can be a very painful process for the helper, and will not assist the patient. And as far as i am aware, the head tilt, jaw thrust is the best way to secure an airway.