Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD statement following Unity Protest in Belgium

edited March 2017 in General Charlton
The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) wants to thank the hundreds of Charlton supporters who made the 500-mile round trip to Sint-Truiden to join Saturday’s Unity Protest march through the town, as well as the many other fans who spontaneously demonstrated their own feelings about the owner and his regime during the team’s 2-1 defeat at Northampton Town.

More than 100 supporters of a wide age range travelled to Belgium by coach and they were joined by many dozens of others who had made their own way from England by rail and road. The fans kept in touch with events at Sixfields via commentary relay to the coaches and a video link to the pre-march buffet, where Addicks protest band The 2percent also performed.

They were then accompanied by a small contingent of Sint-Truiden fans for the procession through the town to Stayen, home of Duchatelet’s Belgian club, STVV. Police estimated total numbers at about 300. The owner was at the stadium but did not show himself during the demonstration, which was covered by both local and London television outlets, and a range of other media.

The exemplary conduct of Charlton fans was underlined by the tweet posted by local police chief Steve Provost, with whom CARD had liaised extensively before the day. He said: “Nice demonstration #cafc, good agreement with the organisers, perfect execution by [police] colleagues.”

CARD also welcomed the sensible and proportionate policing of the march. But it contrasted the fans' conduct with the prior claims of Duchatelet, who called disaffected supporters “vinegar pissers” in a local newspaper and said the police chief and town mayor would have to take responsibility for the "consequences" of allowing the demonstration.

In a statement to the Guardian newspaper, published on Saturday, the club also said: “We would request that anyone travelling to protest in Belgium this weekend will conduct themselves in an appropriate and respectful manner.”

A CARD spokesperson said: “It appears to be Roland Duchatelet who needs advice on how to conduct himself in an ‘appropriate and respectful manner’. He has previously called protest organisers ‘stupid people’, misognynists and ex-employees. Charlton must have had a huge turnover of staff if all those in Belgium were ex-employees.’

“The club also misled some national journalists into believing it was transporting all 1,400 travelling fans to Northampton. They ran five coaches and had made clear from the outset that they were not prepared to run more than that. They took 258 people, which is no bad thing, but they could not even be honest and transparent about that.

"The regime has long demonstrated its poor judgement, but this was both naive and desperate, even unethical. It is yet more evidence of the management's incompetence, as is the team’s plunge towards possible relegation to League Two, despite one of the biggest budgets in the division. Duchatelet and chief executive Katrien Meire have no idea what they are doing, which has been evident to many fans for some time.

“The protest in Sint-Truiden went well beyond our expectations and in addition to CARD’s role we want to acknowledge the part played in delivering it by the Belgium 20 group, as well as Women Against the Regime (WAR). It was months in the planning, so it was not just about recent results, but three years of hopeless management of the club - confirmed by the team’s league position, the emptying Valley and thumping financial losses.

“If necessary we will return to Belgium in even larger numbers in future, but we would much prefer that Duchatelet makes arrangements to sell the club before that happens. We fear for its future if he remains in control.”

Comments

• Options
    Excellent work.
  • Options
    Did Roland allow you guys access to his personal Saturday Stream (not piss), that was nice of him, maybe he's not as bad as we all thought?
  • Options
    mogodon said:

Roland must be so pissed off it didn't all kick off. If he was organised he would have hired some thugs to cause trouble. Perhaps he left that with Meire and they'll turn up next weekend ...

No they went to Northampton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If there are no positive indicators for the club being sold, it may be worth doing another visit in July ?

If it was thought to be a good idea, a weekend date could be announced, so anyone who may be interested could keep their diaries free and there would also be no clashing with the fixture list.

We could take 1,000 ?

Would it not be better to wait for when STVV are at home again? Their season may actually start late July .
  • Options
    I don't think we can get a 1000 out there. 500 maybe.
  • Options
    Just had a small report on BBC London News. It described (in broad strokes) the reasons behind the protest and was supportive in tone.
  • Options

@Covered End i was thinking mainly that if STVV are at home, he is most likely to be there, which I think is important. And a home game gave a fair few of us the opportunity to get up to more mischief.

I also think , like @bolloxbolder that 400 -500 is the best we can hope for. And if we really brought more I think the local police might get worried. They did well I thought, but its the sort of place where a stolen bike would be a big deal. 400 of us plus 50 STVV would look pretty impressive.

But I am up for it.

Would be best to avoid the school holidays so early July better than late.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

@Covered End i was thinking mainly that if STVV are at home, he is most likely to be there, which I think is important. And a home game gave a fair few of us the opportunity to get up to more mischief.

I also think , like @bolloxbolder that 400 -500 is the best we can hope for. And if we really brought more I think the local police might get worried. They did well I thought, but its the sort of place where a stolen bike would be a big deal. 400 of us plus 50 STVV would look pretty impressive.

But I am up for it.

Makes sense as well. I think as much notice as possible and not clashing with a CAFC fixture are key.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Roland, you are currently pissing in my vinegar you cretin. Sell the club.
  • Options
    I think we could definitely get 500 out there, 1,000 might be a bit of a push but I wouldn't rule it out.
  • Options
    IMHO any further protests in ST need to be on a home match day (ST match day). The media attention and overall effect seems to be more impacting on a match day and numbers will be swelled by ST fans on the day.

I can't imagine us organising a march down Floyd Rd. when we are not at home.

End of July is great but ST need to be at home.

I was one of the 'unable to attend' brigade for this weekend just passed but from many accounts ST is a quiet, sleepy town and I get the feeling we might look a little odd marching through the streets on a non match day.

Just my opinion. I wasn't there.
  • Options
    Blimey @Alwaysneil how do you know this stuff, made me giddy just reading it!
  • Options
    I looked it up. Took me three goes to understand enough of it to write it back down.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

IMHO any further protests in ST need to be on a home match day (ST match day). The media attention and overall effect seems to be more impacting on a match day and numbers will be swelled by ST fans on the day.

I can't imagine us organising a march down Floyd Rd. when we are not at home.

End of July is great but ST need to be at home.

I was one of the 'unable to attend' brigade for this weekend just passed but from many accounts ST is a quiet, sleepy town and I get the feeling we might look a little odd marching through the streets on a non match day.

Just my opinion. I wasn't there.

I think a home game would be much better, even if it meant less numbers.
  • Options
    I'd love to see something similar to the beach balls/pigs in ST. So a larger march than this weekend, with more STTV fans involved, maybe other clubs from the network too, and then disrupt their game.

This would have to be something that the ST fans would take a lead on though.