Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nintendo Switch

2»

Comments

• 8 year old wants this for Christmas, I know nothing about it other than it appears to be £270 with no games WTF ?!?!?!

(to be honest I know nothing about any gaming consoles)

That’s on the cheaper end for games console atm... Take something like a PS4 Pro and you’re looking at £500+ I think.
  • If anyone wants to get their missus into gaming, and have a laugh at the same time, try Overcooked. It's absolutely brilliant.
  • I love my switch, completely agree re. Crash & Spyro etc, but every game i have on it i absolutely love, have barely played it docked i much prefer it in handheld mode. My only gripe is the battery life

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8056661?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|acid:532-198-3455|cid:200291570|agid:47391281904|tid:pla-437926819876|crid:184584796758|nw:g|rnd:15202807954916916391|dvc:m|adp:1o2|mt:|loc:9045815&gclid=CjwKCAjwyOreBRAYEiwAR2mSkiMTTP2ee-vvc_J4svR6Fy-iSM_zNvKyNmGgE0H4MPgY9PTiYsmHTxoCjJgQAvD_BwE
  • 8 year old wants this for Christmas, I know nothing about it other than it appears to be £270 with no games WTF ?!?!?!

(to be honest I know nothing about any gaming consoles)

That’s on the cheaper end for games console atm... Take something like a PS4 Pro and you’re looking at £500+ I think.
    eldest daughter is 11 and she's got a PS4 and the girls play FIFA on it all the time
  • Chunes said:

If anyone wants to get their missus into gaming, and have a laugh at the same time, try Overcooked. It's absolutely brilliant.

My group of friends are really into games, and we get pretty competitive, we play a lot of Puerto Rico, Carcassonne, 7 wonders and any Total War, no game has ever got as intense between us as when one of our group introduced us to overcooked.
  • edited November 2018

Chunes said:

If anyone wants to get their missus into gaming, and have a laugh at the same time, try Overcooked. It's absolutely brilliant.

My group of friends are really into games, and we get pretty competitive, we play a lot of Puerto Rico, Carcassonne, 7 wonders and any Total War, no game has ever got as intense between us as when one of our group introduced us to overcooked.
    It can definitely get a bit shouty! Having been a chef for a few years, pretty realistic in that regard
  • Thinking of getting my youngest whos 7 one to stop the constant arguments over the Xbox one my eldest has. Would this be a worthwhile substitute?
    Think Fortnite would be a must. Does this have it?
  • Thinking of getting my youngest whos 7 one to stop the constant arguments over the Xbox one my eldest has. Would this be a worthwhile substitute?
    Think Fortnite would be a must. Does this have it?

Yes Fortnite is on the Switch.Its free to download aswell.I cannot comment on Fortnite as i dont play it though, but the switch is a great console.Mario Kart and Mario Odessey are alot of fun.
  • Interesting with people commenting on how pricey the Switch is, consoles being expensive is nothing new.

In the home computer glory days the cheapest Amiga was £399 in 1989, admittedly you could use the old "but its for homework!" on your parents to get them to buy you one.

The Sega Saturn was £399 on launch in July 1995, Playstation 1 was £299 in September 95. Even worse, the PS3 was £500 in 2007!

In terms of handhelds the Atari Lynx was £189 in 1990, the PS Vita £300 in 2012.
  • Ok. I know nothing about the switch really.

8 year old been saving up for one.

Will we have to get additional controller for his younger brother to play as well ?

Presume you can only play two player games when connected to tv and not in portable mode?

Is it easy to set up and move between portable and connected status?

What are the most have games for an 8 and soon to be 6 year old?

If the younger one got his own switch, is it easy for them to pair the two switches to play against each other in portable mode

Sorry for so many questions !
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019
    MrOneLung said:

Ok. I know nothing about the switch really.

8 year old been saving up for one.

Will we have to get additional controller for his younger brother to play as well ?

Presume you can only play two player games when connected to tv and not in portable mode?

Is it easy to set up and move between portable and connected status?

What are the most have games for an 8 and soon to be 6 year old?

If the younger one got his own switch, is it easy for them to pair the two switches to play against each other in portable mode

Sorry for so many questions !

The controllers you can see on the sides of the switch in handheld mode can be slid off to make two single controllers. They are very small but they do the job. It would be better to get another controller entirely but not 100% necessary.

You can play two player in portable mode, too. And it is incredibly easy to switch between portable and TV mode. You just put the switch in its dock, or you take it out. No fiddling with wires.

As far as linking together to play, over WiFi yes. I think there are plans to introduce local link-up play using nodes or ethernet but not out yet.

Games for kids that age...Minecraft. Mario Odyssey. Mario Kart. Splattoon. Lego Marvel Superheroes.

Snipperclips is a co-operative puzzle game if you want to sneak in some brain work! But I think Minecraft is pretty good for kids too.
  • Just finally bought Mario Kart the other day. It’s brilliant as expected.
  • Anyone been playing Smash Bros? That’s next on my wish list.

Have never tried it. Looks a bit mad, can't really figure out if I'd be into it.

Have been playing Monster Hunter Generations recently and enjoying that.

Mario Kart is brilliant to pick up for a quick game online. Love it.

I just noticed they've brought out Grim Fandango (remastered) as well. Fantastic.
  • The new Super Mario game is brilliant, proper old school Mario.
  • Thanks all.

Just looking online and seems both switches would need a game for them to play multiplayer over two devices.
  • MrOneLung said:

Thanks all.

Just looking online and seems both switches would need a game for them to play multiplayer over two devices.

Yes both Switches need the game. But the Switches communicate wirelessly without need for Wifi.

Most multiplayer games can be played on one Switch with two controllers, split screen.

Its probably the best smash bros. game to date imo, so many characters and finally an online mode that works! I haven't actually got it yet because i'm skint but i've been rinsing it round a mates

Working my way through Smash Bros, brilliantly fun game. A lot more skill involved than you'd think, fairly easy to pick up and play but difficult too master. I did enjoy the previous versions, so tough call if it's your first time round on it. Has a huge single player game, can play against mates or computer locally or go online if you fancy that against others.

@MrOneLung - Local play is possible depending on the game, Bomberman & Mario Party for example can be done with multiple Switches. I'd say Mario Odyssey & Splatoon would be tricky for them at that age. My nipper is 9 and struggles once at a certain point in the game, the skill level starts off easy enough but does get harder. Mario Party, Mario Kart, FIFA, 1-2 Switch, Minecraft, various LEGO games, Captain Toad plus all the Labo stuff would be great for them.
  • thanks all.