Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wenger Out protest on Tuesday..

Comments

• Options

1StevieG said:

Some of their fans don't know how lucky they are. Protests for what? Finishing 4th every year? Jesus wept what a bunch of cry babies.

I never get this, Their expectations are much higher than us. Their season tickets are about 6 times the cost that we pay at Charlton. Why shouldn't they be upset ?? They pay really good money to watch the same rubbish every year. They have as much right to protest as we do.
    I get that mate.

I think my biggest issue is how dismissive they are of clubs in proper plights. I wish it was just my mate, but it's an attitude I see fairly often.

As I've also said, the game has changed ridiculously during Wenger's tenure.. maybe it is time for a change, but maybe other teams have simply caught up now?

It's all a competition, and no one team has a right to be a winner.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

I'll be there. Shocking what he's done to that club.

Sad state of affairs....
  • Options

the problem as others have said is supporters now same age as myself (26) have grown up with arsenal being an elite club, i do agree though that its a joke the money paid and return of success, the mrs is an arsenal fan so got her tickets to arsenal chelsea, fortunately i didnt have to go as was watching the glamorous game of oxford vs charlton, the tickets were £88.60 FV, your talking £120 min a home game, by time you have a bit of food and a couple of pints, so i do understand in a way where there coming from, but no point doing it half way through a season.

Out of interest, how does your mrs deal with your earlier assessment of Arsenal fans?

(i.e. From a previous post: 'Complete fuckin rectums that support them')
    i do mean the ones in question that are "protesting" as i think its quite disrespectful to wenger, there that stupid that its the board that control the spend and ticket prices etc not all wenger, the players also have to take blame. she knows how much i hate em i have one mate in particular that rips me often about charlton, things like i hope you go bust and your derby in a few seasons will be welling.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

the problem as others have said is supporters now same age as myself (26) have grown up with arsenal being an elite club, i do agree though that its a joke the money paid and return of success, the mrs is an arsenal fan so got her tickets to arsenal chelsea, fortunately i didnt have to go as was watching the glamorous game of oxford vs charlton, the tickets were £88.60 FV, your talking £120 min a home game, by time you have a bit of food and a couple of pints, so i do understand in a way where there coming from, but no point doing it half way through a season.

Out of interest, how does your mrs deal with your earlier assessment of Arsenal fans?

(i.e. From a previous post: 'Complete fuckin rectums that support them')
    i do mean the ones in question that are "protesting" as i think its quite disrespectful to wenger, there that stupid that its the board that control the spend and ticket prices etc not all wenger, the players also have to take blame. she knows how much i hate em i have one mate in particular that rips me often about charlton, things like i hope you go bust and your derby in a few seasons will be welling.
    He sounds like he's full of quality banter...

Thats why I avoid talking about football with this Arsenal fan though. I've said a few times "Could be worse mate, there's clubs out there being destroyed unfortunately" and always get a joke about Charlton and some laughter back... Then he goes back to being a miserable bastard because they'll only finish top 4.

It's only football and it's not worth ruining a friendship over, so I avoid the self pity now. Yesterday I bit though.
  • Options
    Maybe they should demonstrate more about the fact West Ham were given a big corporate football stadium and they had to pay for theirs. If Wenger had the 400 million they ploughed in to building their stadium to spend on players I think they could break in to the top three.
  • Options
    Just because they pay 3 or 4 times as much as we do for their season ticket that does not entitle them to win anything every year. They can stop paying and let one of the many thousands on the waiting list for a season ticket replace them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    theres season tickets are over a grand a piece but do include 7 cup matches, dont know what happens if they dont qaulify for any european games though.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

I get what some of you are saying, it's all relative etc. But its not really is it?

Sure, they may think they deserve to be chasing the title every season, and they may expect better in Europe.

The problem is, that's identical to saying we deserve to be top 10 championship. That's a completely fair assessment of a club with our funding, infrastructure and support.

If only that's all we were protesting about though! If only Orient were demanding to be in League One. If only Coventry were fighting for a league place. Or Blackpool..

But we're not. Coventry aren't. Blackpool aren't. Orient aren't. We're fighting to prevent our clubs destruction. We're trying to preserve a vital part of our respective communities. Some of us want to protect a continuous thread through our family tapestries.

It's not relative.

When I tried to use the Orient line to the chap in particular all I got was the above line about season ticket prices, and then "well im sure they've abused their managers and forced them out in past". This is about so much more than a shit manager. How I wish Karl was our only issue, it would be a bit of a dream right now!

I can't feel a shred of sympathy for them, nowhere near the sympathy I feel for Blackpool, Coventry, Orient and Charlton. I can empathise with their frustration, but not sympathise with their plight.

Yes, their main focus is Arsenal as they are Arsenal fans.. that doesn't mean they have to be blind to the game outside the top 4. My main focus is ME, as I'm ME, but that doesn't mean I'm so self-centered that I can't see people have bigger problems than me.

I don't really see what you're getting at TBH. IF you follow a club and are not happy with what's going on why should you have to take into account what is happening at other clubs you've no allegiance to in order to legitimize your own protest?
    I must admit I have never once been made to feel better whenever someone has said to me "there's always someone worse off than you".

• Options
    SID said:

LuckyReds said:

I get what some of you are saying, it's all relative etc. But its not really is it?

Sure, they may think they deserve to be chasing the title every season, and they may expect better in Europe.

The problem is, that's identical to saying we deserve to be top 10 championship. That's a completely fair assessment of a club with our funding, infrastructure and support.

If only that's all we were protesting about though! If only Orient were demanding to be in League One. If only Coventry were fighting for a league place. Or Blackpool..

But we're not. Coventry aren't. Blackpool aren't. Orient aren't. We're fighting to prevent our clubs destruction. We're trying to preserve a vital part of our respective communities. Some of us want to protect a continuous thread through our family tapestries.

It's not relative.

When I tried to use the Orient line to the chap in particular all I got was the above line about season ticket prices, and then "well im sure they've abused their managers and forced them out in past". This is about so much more than a shit manager. How I wish Karl was our only issue, it would be a bit of a dream right now!

I can't feel a shred of sympathy for them, nowhere near the sympathy I feel for Blackpool, Coventry, Orient and Charlton. I can empathise with their frustration, but not sympathise with their plight.

Yes, their main focus is Arsenal as they are Arsenal fans.. that doesn't mean they have to be blind to the game outside the top 4. My main focus is ME, as I'm ME, but that doesn't mean I'm so self-centered that I can't see people have bigger problems than me.

I don't really see what you're getting at TBH. IF you follow a club and are not happy with what's going on why should you have to take into account what is happening at other clubs you've no allegiance to in order to legitimize your own protest?
    I must admit I have never once been made to feel better whenever someone has said to me "there's always someone worse off than you".

You don't.

But when someone mentions another club being on the brink of destruction you dont say "but they're season tickets are cheap".

It's the inability to acknowledge, let alone concede, that there are other issues elsewhere.

Any time I've tried to discuss our issues, or general issues, with an Arsenal or Chelsea fan I get laughed at.. then I'm expected to give a fuck about Wenger in the next breathe?
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

SID said:

LuckyReds said:

It's not relative.

You don't.

But when someone mentions another club being on the brink of destruction you dont say "but they're season tickets are cheap".

It's the inability to acknowledge, let alone concede, that there are other issues elsewhere.

Any time I've tried to discuss our issues, or general issues, with an Arsenal or Chelsea fan I get laughed at.. then I'm expected to give a fuck about Wenger in the next breathe?

Who's expecting you to give a fuck about Wenger? It's a real shame about Orient, Coventry and Blackpool but football is tribal and I only feel strongly about Charlton. Fuck me I'd never sleep if I had to be worried about all the badly run football clubs in England.
  • Options
    Clearly going against the majority here but i can see why some are protesting. A club of their size and resources should not only be competing for the title, they should be competitive in the champions league as well. And when they moved to the Emirates they were promised as much by the board. Yet a few years on that same board is now perfectly happy finishing 4th and just getting out of the CL group stages and Wenger gets offered new contracts based not on what he's doing now but on what he did 10/15 years ago. The fans pay good money (ridiculous prices in fact), and they feel that their club should be doing better, so who are we as fans of another club to say what they should or shouldn't be protesting about.

Yes i freely admit that to about 87 of the 92 clubs in the league it will seem stupid, but it's their club and they want better.
  • Options

Clearly going against the majority here but i can see why some are protesting. A club of their size and resources should not only be competing for the title, they should be competitive in the champions league as well. And when they moved to the Emirates they were promised as much by the board. Yet a few years on that same board is now perfectly happy finishing 4th and just getting out of the CL group stages and Wenger gets offered new contracts based not on what he's doing now but on what he did 10/15 years ago. The fans pay good money (ridiculous prices in fact), and they feel that their club should be doing better, so who are we as fans of another club to say what they should or shouldn't be protesting about.

Yes i freely admit that to about 87 of the 92 clubs in the league it will seem stupid, but it's their club and they want better.

There's at least 5 other clubs in the Premier League that can claim they ought to be winning the trophy and getting to the Champions League final every year on the basis of their size and resources. Who's to say any other manager will do any better than Wenger, look at the problems the likes of Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and Man Utd have had after managerial switch ups.

If they want to show their displeasure then they should vote with their wallets. A protest though? Ridiculous considering how good they have it.

They should understand their priority is Champions League qualification. Their finances and prestige relies on it. The year they fail to qualify would see them in a very parlous state.
  • Options
    "Who's to say any other manager will do any better than Wenger"

There's certainly no guarantee, but they want the club to at least try rather than stand still. It's possible they could even go backwards with Wenger if they finish out of the top 4 this year.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

They're a bunch of tossers and have no concept of the realities of football having never been threatened with relegation, dodgy owners etc.

They make our own 'Curbs has taken us as far as he can' morons from back in the day look intelligent!

Have to take exception to that Len. Curbs was a legend at Charlton and what he achieved was beyond our wildest dreams at times, but whilst not directly shouting for him to go, I was happy when he did, as I did think he had taken us as far as he could.

The poor decisions and mis-management since he's departure, do not mean the decision for him to go was the wrong one at the time.

Re, Arsenal - I don't mind there match-going fans having a moan, especially about the prices they pay, but when I hear there plastics moaning who have never been I have to walk away from the situation as it pisses me off something rotten.
  • Options

Arsenal fans are the biggest whingers though, aren't they.

I take it you haven't heard Liverpool fans on 606 when they don't win 4-0?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

There's at least 5 other clubs in the Premier League that can claim they ought to be winning the trophy and getting to the Champions League final every year on the basis of their size and resources. Who's to say any other manager will do any better than Wenger, look at the problems the likes of Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea and Man Utd have had after managerial switch ups.

If they want to show their displeasure then they should vote with their wallets. A protest though? Ridiculous considering how good they have it.

They should understand their priority is Champions League qualification. Their finances and prestige relies on it. The year they fail to qualify would see them in a very parlous state.
    Yeah. I heard Ray Parlour was often in a state.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Protests and clubs like ours, Coventry, Blackpool, Orient etc. shouldn't even be needed for context. Even if all 92 clubs were being run like model businesses, this protest would still seem ridiculous.
  • Options
    When we were in the prem I'll be honest I had nigh on no interest in league one (scum results apart ) and zero interest in league two.
    As others above have said it's about Charlton and everything else is a long way from my concern .
    Their aspirations are on a different planet to us , I'm sure it's a vocal few , let em get on with it we have bigger haddocks to fry
  • Options
    Don't see anything whatsoever that's patronising about this! But still, any opportunity I guess!!
  • Options

Don't see anything whatsoever that's patronising about this! But still, any opportunity I guess!!
    Course they're patronising. They think Belgium is so small time they only class it as a town rather than a country.
  • Options

Trust me Bunster, they're Arsenal, they're scum, they're the shit off the bottom of my shoe....
  • Options
    I appreciate that the price of Arsenal season tickets is ridiculously high which probably means that the results expected are going to be better than the likes of ourselves. But protesting at the current run of form??? That's utter madness. It's the football equivalent of a "first world problem".
    How entitled must people be to demand such a high performance. Is 5th in the Premier League really *that* bad? FFS.
  • Options
    I somehow think there maybe a few more on the next march!