Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

#Unity Protest 4th March - Accounts from those there

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2017
    boggzy said:

Yes, it was me. Handed out mugs to people waving banners we made and to some of the locals.

Thanks again.
    Seconded @MuttleyCAFC! Top man, thanks.
  • Options
    Well done.
  • Options
    Why did he sack Slade if it was our fault? Answers on a postcard.....
  • Options

Why did he sack Slade if it was our fault? Answers on a postcard.....

Because some bastards interupted his lunch and that mmade him very cross
  • Options
    Mosscat said:

The Eurostar gang looked after me and I enjoyed meeting you all. When we ran for the connection I was trailing a bit but I blame that on my overnight bag. Thanks guys.

""
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T.C.E said:

Seeing several familar faces @Badger then bumping into @RodneyCharltonTrotta in the karzy I knew I was started to wilt. .

@TCE Sorry to disappoint you but was not me mate. Was nowhere near Belgium this weekend so someone must have been pretending! ;-)
  • Options

T.C.E said:

Seeing several familar faces @Badger then bumping into @RodneyCharltonTrotta in the karzy I knew I was started to wilt. .

@TCE Sorry to disappoint you but was not me mate. Was nowhere near Belgium this weekend so someone must have been pretending! ;-)
    Oops, sorry.......... p****d ;)
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

Oops, sorry.......... p****d ;)
    Belgian beer mate ;-)
  • Options
    @Addickted2TheReds recorded an audio diary for Charlton Live during his excursion to the continent.

Listen to it here - https://audioboom.com/posts/5678935-unityprotest-diary-cafc-fans-head-to-belgium-to-demonstrate-against-duchatelet
  • Options

Roland's view of what success is for his own, home town club summed up in one picture...money from advertising, no fans.

Those on the right were Eupen fans.
    I counted them, there were 28 of them.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

@Addickted2TheReds recorded an audio diary for Charlton Live during his excursion to the continent.

Listen to it here - https://audioboom.com/posts/5678935-unityprotest-diary-cafc-fans-head-to-belgium-to-demonstrate-against-duchatelet

Some very intelligent comments made on that march :wink:
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    "C) to buy a beer you first have to buy a token from a small stool then go and use that to buy a beer from the bar. Entirely unnecessary and I assume just a way to try to get people to overspend in something they don't then cash in?"

That's a continental thing. Liege have the same (perhaps started by Roland) and Brugge have an even more annoying card system. You get a plastic card and have to go to a booth to add credit. There's always cents left over, quite a few Dutch and German clubs do it. Some even want a deposit for a cup.

I agree with most other points, I don't think Roland could get away with all the music, hotels etc at a bigger club. It's a sleepy little town and i think many fans are happy just to be in the top tier playing Anderlecht, Gent etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you're spot on there @Athletico Charlton in a number of aspects. Whatever the achievements in his home town where he has cultivated this club and his place in its structure, there are no grounds to think his model will work at Charlton, (maybe mk Dons as you suggest where there there is relatively speaking no history and no evolved identity).
    I'm glad I went to their game. It was a stark lesson in incompatibility.
    I wonder too if it would be a waste of energy looking for unity with their fans. This idea has served well to bind the event on this trip but as an objective in its own right I don't think we should focus there.
  • Options
    I don't know whether they still do it in Holland but Roda operated this system when I went there with Charlton in the early 2000's. A very strange and seemingly pointless system creating extra work for fans and staff.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    RedPanda said:

"C) to buy a beer you first have to buy a token from a small stool then go and use that to buy a beer from the bar. Entirely unnecessary and I assume just a way to try to get people to overspend in something they don't then cash in?"

That's a continental thing. Liege have the same (perhaps started by Roland) and Brugge have an even more annoying card system. You get a plastic card and have to go to a booth to add credit. There's always cents left over, quite a few Dutch and German clubs do it.

I agree with everything else, I don't think Roland could get away with all the music, hotels etc at a bigger club. It's a sleepy little town and i think many fans are happy just to be in the top tier playing Anderlecht, Gent etc.

I think it is a Belgian thing - at Vims I bought some beers with a 20 and the barman gave me paper tokens instead of change. In some ways it was easier but hassle if you don't want any more drinks. I liked the Juliper though.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    End of the march outside the kanaries bar and about 50 yards from the stadium.
  • Options
    St Truiden seemed soulless & the locals reminded me a little of "The Stepford Wives". Robots. No personality, but I suppose I might be the same, if a few hundred Belgians were protesting in my town. It is all weird.
  • Options
    @Arsenetatters @Chaz Hill @sarge1g and the lapse lifer from Falmouth. Are we still working on the airship idea? Or was that just a lot of hot air?
  • Options

@Arsenetatters @Chaz Hill @sarge1g and the lapse lifer from Falmouth. Are we still working on the airship idea? Or was that just a lot of hot air?

I heard you were working on a submarine :smile:
  • Options

FFS it was supposed to be a secret :-)
  • Options

RedPanda said:

That's a continental thing. Liege have the same (perhaps started by Roland) and Brugge have an even more annoying card system. You get a plastic card and have to go to a booth to add credit. There's always cents left over, quite a few Dutch and German clubs do it.

I agree with everything else, I don't think Roland could get away with all the music, hotels etc at a bigger club. It's a sleepy little town and i think many fans are happy just to be in the top tier playing Anderlecht, Gent etc.

I think it is a Belgian thing - at Vims I bought some beers with a 20 and the barman gave me paper tokens instead of change. In some ways it was easier but hassle if you don't want any more drinks. I liked the Juliper though.
    I first came across it at the Allianz. I think the main benefit is that it can speed up service at peak times. The second benefit is it cuts down on fiddling bar staff.. it also looks far worse to an occasional visitor because you worry you will end up with chips you won't use. But if you are a regular it's not such an issue. Of all the horrors we saw there, I think that's the least worst.