Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Taking the P**S

There was an article on BBC Breakfast this morning about weeing in the swimming pool, and whether it's socially acceptable. Apparently in the average swimming pool there is equivalent to a dustbin full of wee in any one pool.

So, come on, own up if you have.

And I don't mean from the top board!

Comments

• Just a dust bin full? Hell of a lot less than I thought.
  • Pah, i just go to the beach and have a swim in the sea - no pi55 or sh1t in there, is there ?
  • I can honestly say I have never done it. We were told, as children, that if you piddled, the water would turn purple around you due to a special dye. That was enough to stop me.
  • Who pees in the sea? Apparently just about everyone I know has done it while I think it's disgusting
  • I think the fish sh*t in it!
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

I can honestly say I have never done it. We were told, as children, that if you piddled, the water would turn purple around you due to a special dye. That was enough to stop me.

Oddly enough my piss is purple already, I wonder what colour the special dye will turn it, I'm just nipping down to the Lido to find out.
  • Halix said:

seth plum said:

I can honestly say I have never done it. We were told, as children, that if you piddled, the water would turn purple around you due to a special dye. That was enough to stop me.

Oddly enough my piss is purple already, I wonder what colour the special dye will turn it, I'm just nipping down to the Lido to find out.
    Are you a fan of Prince by any chance?
  • Who pees in the sea? Apparently just about everyone I know has done it while I think it's disgusting

If you've ever been in a wetsuit surfing or similar in the UK you'll pee in your suit just to keep warm!
  • I swim three or four times a week. I try and go early because a friend who used to work there says you definitely don't want to be in the pool at the end of the day.

I've never even considered peeing in there, and it's never really crossed my mind that adults would. But I do get concerned when they're giving lessons to kids in the main pool.

That all said, I've never experienced anything negative from the pool, and I shower and bathe after. So if there is piss in there, it hasn't really harmed me.
  • I was always told that it's not the chlorine that makes your eyes sting, but the chlorine reacting with the pee!

If you've ever been in a wetsuit surfing or similar in the UK you'll pee in your suit just to keep warm!
    Used to wear a wetsuit when sailing round Dover harbour when I was a kid. Never thought to reach that level of depravity though.
  • edited March 2017

I was always told that it's not the chlorine that makes your eyes sting, but the chlorine reacting with the pee!

That's what I understood too. I was also told by somebody who worked in the pool, that first thing in the morning is the worst time, when the liquids have separated and there's a slight film on the top.
  • As the ex Manager of a swimming pool.....
    obviously kids do it but old people are the worst culprits, 'specially in jacuzzis.
  • Sponsored links:

What happens if you fart.
  • You've got to have a piss in the pool, it's the law.
  • It's all coming back to me now.
    Womanly issues..
    women wearing makeup..

but the worst is people using the steam room then jumping strait back in the pool.
  • It's all coming back to me now.
    Womanly issues..
    women wearing makeup..

but the worst is people using the steam room then jumping strait back in the pool.

Unclogging the filters...chewing gum, could never understand as a kid why it was banned.
  • Swim in the sea, its cleaner than swimming the human soup in your local pool.
  • Whilst the thought of it is pretty gross the fact is that pee is the only sterile liquid our body produces, so when it comes out there are no germs, bacteria, etc. present. However pee is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria so can be nasty stuff if left alone. Of course the pool has chlorine to prevent bacteria from breeding, so in theory at least there shouldn't be a problem.

As hinted at above, chlorine doesn't have a strong smell unless it's reacting with something, so a strong chlorine smell is an indication of a dirty pool.

It's also important to remember that whilst a dustbin sounds like a lot, your typical dustbin holds around 110 litres, whilst your typical 25m pool holds around 375,000 litres, so we're talking 1 part in around 3500 of pee in a typical pool, or 0.029%.

Regarding the question of who pees in the sea, well the answer is we all do. This is because water companies in this country still pump untreated and lightly treated waste into the sea via undersea pipes. These pipes generally go a reasonable distance out from the coast, but water (and waste) has a tendency to move around.
  • Ban the kids and grannies for a week and then redo the test.
  • To be fair, the chlorine is probably doing you more harm than the piss.