Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man "knocked out [...] for putting his feet on the seats" on a train

edited March 2017 in Not Sports Related
Interesting story in the Evening Standard.

A bit an extreme way to deal with rude bastards who have their feet on the seats of a train, but this story has some absolutely quality bits:

1. It sounds like he initially responded in quite a smart-ass way:
I explained, 'My shoes aren't on the chair'. And this was repeated several times. I turned to my girlfriend and said: 'Who the f*** does this guy think he is?'
2. Then decided he best hide behind his girlfriend:
He placed himself above me. My girlfriend stepped in to diffuse the situation and I stood behind her. Then it goes black - I was punched once very hard in the face.
3. To add insult to injury, then the British Transport Police pretty much told him he deserved it.. possibly based upon his own girlfriend's statement:
The reason is that, based on evidence available, including the independent witness account, the decision was made that [the suspect] had reasonable excuse to act in the way he did.
In another article he goes on to say "I didn't die, but I could've". Although that did make me laugh at first, to be fair to him there has been some horrible one-punch-murder stories in the past couple of years. Still, I wonder what the witness told the BTP for them to claim him getting knocked out was a reasonable response?

Comments

• Options
    The bloke that got punched can't possibly be telling the whole story given that BTP said that the suspect behaved reasonably.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Interesting story in the Evening Standard.

A bit an extreme way to deal with rude bastards who have their feet on the seats of a train, but this story has some absolutely quality bits:

1. It sounds like he initially responded in quite a smart-ass way:

I explained, 'My shoes aren't on the chair'. And this was repeated several times. I turned to my girlfriend and said: 'Who the f*** does this guy think he is?'
    2. Then decided he best hide behind his girlfriend:
    He placed himself above me. My girlfriend stepped in to diffuse the situation and I stood behind her. Then it goes black - I was punched once very hard in the face.
    3. To add insult to injury, then the British Transport Police pretty much told him he deserved it.. possibly based upon his own girlfriend's statement:
    The reason is that, based on evidence available, including the independent witness account, the decision was made that [the suspect] had reasonable excuse to act in the way he did.
    In another article he goes on to say "I didn't die, but I could've". Although that did make me laugh at first, to be fair to him there has been some horrible one-punch-murder stories in the past couple of years. Still, I wonder what the witness told the BTP for them to claim him getting knocked out was a reasonable response?

Diffuse the situation? Diffuse? Oh Evening Standard..
  • Options
    The protocol in BR days was that it's acceptable if you remove shoes first!
  • Options
    Woolwich line. Never known anything like it. Even the people who you think wouldn't possibly do it, soon enough feet up and sod everyone else. Even on a wet day, as if their footwear isn't wet, but these people are different. As bad as all those with cheap headsets, wrapped up in a world of one.
    Thanks for posting @LuckyReds ; this is a long overdue thread topic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely if the fella's got his feet up on the seats, the apt punishment is a two footed stamp on his knee cap rather than a punch in the face?

Since I upgraded my IOS on my iPhone I get wholly unwelcome news alerts from channels such as The Sun (and can't seem to stop them, anyone know how?). But the one I got last week was better than this. It said "Woman sits on man who had his feet on the train seat"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2953175/fed-up-woman-appears-to-sit-on-man-who-refused-to-take-his-feet-off-seat-in-bid-to-teach-him-a-lesson/
  • Options
    .....and letting dogs sit on the seats.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Leuth said:

If a train's mostly empty, feet on the seats is fine.

*retires 25 metres*

No it bloody well isn't. The reason that putting feet on seats is such an obnoxious habit is nothing to do with blocking seats, it's because no-one wants to sit in the old faecal matter and detritus that will come off the soles of your shoes. Don't be so scummy whether anyone else is in the carriage or not.
    Luckily whenever I get on a nearly empty train it's littered with free seat covers (otherwise known as Metros), so if you feel the need to put your feet up there's no reason to get anything on the seat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stig said:

Leuth said:

If a train's mostly empty, feet on the seats is fine.

*retires 25 metres*

No it bloody well isn't. The reason that putting feet on seats is such an obnoxious habit is nothing to do with blocking seats, it's because no-one wants to sit in the old faecal matter and detritus that will come off the soles of your shoes. Don't be so scummy whether anyone else is in the carriage or not.
    Luckily whenever I get on a nearly empty train it's littered with free seat covers (otherwise known as Metros), so if you feel the need to put your feet up there's no reason to get anything on the seat.
    I guess @randyandy that you would be happy for your guests to put their feet (in shoes) on your chairs/settees at your home?
  • Options
    Cmon now, feet on seats is the last of your worries if living in london. The worst air pollution in Europe and people get all pissy over feet on a chair, when you spend your whole day breathing in other people skin and shit
  • Options
    I know you find it fun to have a different view to the majority, but trying to argue that it's not wrong to put your feet on train seats is taking it a bit far.

Granted it's not punishable by a punch in the face, but it's a complete black and white case in terms of acceptable social behaviour.

Who the fuck does this guy think he is?
  • Options

No. The bloke who punched him should go to prison. Sounds like he was looking for a fight and picked his victim. Very tough. Wanker, but there's a lot of twats around who are inadequate enough to need to prove themselves as long as the odds are with them.

No. The bloke who punched him should go to prison. Sounds like he was looking for a fight and picked his victim. Very tough. Wanker, but there's a lot of twats around who are inadequate enough to need to prove themselves as long as the odds are with them.

Put yer feet up and chill mate.
  • Options
    Good,It will teach the twat some manners.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Put yer feet up and chill mate.
    You looking for a fight?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Yes. I want to see more violence dished out by unstable individuals who feel that someone else has committed some minor act that they disapprove of. That will make me feel much safer..