Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are your local schools winners or losers?

I was sent this handy link to check funding at local schools, www.schoolcuts.org.uk just pop in your postcode and have a look. My area was meant to have benefited with an increase but only 3 of the nearest 80 would appear to benefit from higher funding.

Comments

• Options
    An interesting site. My local schools all seem to be getting hammered. Two of them by 15% each.
    But aren't those figures (if accurate -where do they come from?) the reductions in funds from Central Govt?
    That might (although I accept it's unlikely) be entirely different from the overall funding position.
    Make the parents pay for their offspring - that's what I say.
  • Options
    Evidence seems Kosher http://www.schoolcuts.org.uk/#/method and I know of three local schools (in Devon) who have made their own in house calculations that correspond to those given here.

Only thing to do is check what schools are important to you and find a local comparison. I would think we would need around 100 examples to believe or disbelieve although the evidence they say they have used seems compelling.
  • Options
    Just checked with friends in Swindon and results correspond with their kids school.
  • Options
    Looks like I made a great decision to do teacher training this year
  • Options

Looks like I made a great decision to do teacher training this year

I don't think there is a chance of being a shortage of teachers anytime soon.
  • Options
    Apparently 98% of schools will actually be cut.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Wonder how that squares with the Tories' pledge to make all students 'above average'?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Wonder how that squares with the Tories' pledge to make all students 'above average'?
    does that even make sense logically? how could all be above average? But if they are trying to raise standards, they've gone an odd way about it
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I was sent this handy link to check funding at local schools, www.schoolcuts.org.uk just pop in your postcode and have a look. My area was meant to have benefited with an increase but only 3 of the nearest 80 would appear to benefit from higher funding.

I wouldn't rely on these figures if I were you. I'm the Finance Director for a Multi Academy Trust and I've just checked the results for my schools and two that I know will gain, appear to be losing according to that website. The inner London schools are going to be most affected but the losses will be capped. National Formula Funding is completely flawed. It's not fair and rewards those schools that don't improve.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

I wouldn't rely on these figures if I were you. I'm the Finance Director for a Multi Academy Trust and I've just checked the results for my schools and two that I know will gain, appear to be losing according to that website. The inner London schools are going to be most affected but the losses will be capped. National Formula Funding is completely flawed. It's not fair and rewards those schools that don't improve.
    Fair enough @_MrDick sure you would know better than anybody. The website says this is the formula they use.
    METHODOLOGY FOR ENGLAND

We used published Department for Education data to calculate cuts to England’s primary and secondary schools over this Parliament, 2015 — 2020.

Using the 2015/16 funding as the baseline, we calculated the impact of the cash freeze on the amount of funding for each pupil, the proposed cut to the Education Services Grant and the proposed introduction of a National Funding Formula.

The calculations were made using the following evidence:

That the national funding formula due to be introduced in April 2018 will be that proposed by the Secretary of State on Wednesday 14 December 2016.
    That inflation for schools will amount to 8.7% over the lifetime of this Parliament. This figure is in “Financial sustainability of schools” published by the National Audit Office on 14 December 2016.
    That the Government will cut the Education Services Grant (ESG) by 75%, as George Osborne announced in the 2015 Autumn Statement.
    We have only measured the ESG cut to academy and free school budgets. For all other schools, the ESG goes to the local authority to fund services for schools. These services are now being cut.

Calculating school funding for 2019/20
    The Government published figures for school budgets for the first year of the introduction of the National Funding Formula (2018/19) and when the NFF is fully bedded in. We calculated the amount of funding for schools for 2019/20, by capping the maximum increase from 2018/19 to 2019/20 at 2.5% as stated in the ministerial statement.

All the figures are in 2016/17 prices.

Are you agreeing though that he formula is flawed? I have some hope that it will be reviewed in the style of here is some really bad news, we have now listened and responded so have some less bad news.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiish said:

I think the nation digging (the depths) for victory on this one Fiiishy.
  • Options
    When you have a government where people with no expertise are telling people who know what they are doing how to go about their business, there will always be flaws.
  • Options
    With services such as Policing, Health and and Prisons doing so well, I am surprised schools are suffering. Who would have thought consistently cutting things would lead to problems?