Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt

Comments

• Options
    The thing with Tony is he's head is in a better place when his not around anyone. The close season proves this. Give it a month of being round a group of lads again and he'll be back to his old ways.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I'm just not sure where he fits into Karl's starting XI.

Clearly has talent and he's lost weight but where does he play?
  • Options
    Given chance after Chance - sell him to odeon
  • Options
    Bet you a tenner, packet of ciggies and a bottle of whisky he'll be fine....
  • Options

That's the problem. He wanders too much to be an obvious No 9, but isn't enough of a team player to be a No 10?
  • Options

That's the problem. He wanders too much to be an obvious No 9, but isn't enough of a team player to be a No 10?
    Players like him wander when the team becomes defensive and leaves the poor sod up front on his own and expected to chase down every ball for themselves and then they get knackered or need a breather and are out of position. Stick him in the middle, up front and give him some support. He can hold on to the ball when he wants and if he's playing at centre forward and getting service he is going to draw defenders to him at the very least and open up gaps for the others. Big mac could be looking at his best season yet if he and TW can form a mutual supportive role.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    It's not hard to confuse poor little Tony. The bloke thinks he's Irish for a start. Footballing instructions must seem like string theory.
  • Options

Players like him wander when the team becomes defensive and leaves the poor sod up front on his own and expected to chase down every ball for themselves and then they get knackered or need a breather and are out of position. Stick him in the middle, up front and give him some support. He can hold on to the ball when he wants and if he's playing at centre forward and getting service he is going to draw defenders to him at the very least and open up gaps for the others. Big mac could be looking at his best season yet if he and TW can form a mutual supportive role.
    Nah, I'd rather play Magennis alone and have Marshall, Reeves and Holmes behind him than Lazy ass Watt and having Holmes and Marshall play further back
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Nah, I'd rather play Magennis alone and have Marshall, Reeves and Holmes behind him than Lazy ass Watt and having Holmes and Marshall play further back
    Create an opening or a bit of space and Magennis scores a goal, that's what he does. Leaving him on his own means he has to wait around a lot. Give Watt the ball and immediately two defenders go straight to him to try and kick him/retrieve the ball and if it's around the oppositions box rather than out on the wing then there's the space that Magennis needs. Obviously TW will have to learn to pass it to him but I suspect Magennis will work out an effective way of communicating that
  • Options
    Who wouldn't want Watt at his absolute best playing 36 or so games for us next season?
    I would love to see that.
    The trouble is if you knit all of Watts good bits for Charlton together it barely makes up one game, and there is the added factor that his presence in the squad, for a multitude of reasons, has to my mind had a detrimental effect.
    If Tony Watt could say to himself that he hasn't 'made it' unless he now puts in a series of 100 games, when he has been on the winning side over fifty times, and he has scored 33 goals and made 15 others, then he might set out on the right path for himself as a footballer, he is still young enough.
    In my mind the watchwords for Watt are 'consistent' and 'sustained', and that over a couple of years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't think he's a team player though, and I don't mean that in a nasty way, it's just that he's a very individual player, rather than someone who fits into systems.

It does mean though that he can create things by himself, it's a question of whether he can do it enough
  • Options
    Poor loves.
    Twitter, Facebook, Charlton Life, ITTV, Snapchat, message boards and so on may have some significance but real life is actually also out there and going on.
    To my mind it is about 1000 times more significant if another driver has a road rage incident with you than if you get dug out online.
    I realise there exists online bullying, but it is much easier to avoid than real life events.
  • Options

I have seen with my own eyes what a good player he is. The job of a good manager is to get the best out of him if he has him to select.

No. The job of a good player is to fit in with the team.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Thought I read on here that T Watt was fitter than ever, really? He looked as big as ever today!
  • Options
    Thought he looked trimmer myself but shattered as ever after a sprint or two
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Thought I read on here that T Watt was fitter than ever, really? He looked as big as ever today!

No he had his shirt off before he came on and was ripped. Thought he tried hard when he came on but wasn't happening for him.

• Options
    I think this season he is in shape, just don't think he has the heard or the heart.
  • Options
    I thought his weight looked fine, I just don't think he's up for it at all and I doubt he ever will be. He's been out on loan three times in as many years and if he had another option, pretty much any other option, he would have taken it. Get rid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If he does not score playing in that league, then there is no hope for him
  • Options
    Biggest waste of talent I've seen in years.
    Shame really
  • Options

Biggest waste of talent I've seen in years.
    Shame really

He scored two when we beat Huddersfield on Chris Powell's return. He was fantastic that day and I thought we had something.
    Probably the best individual performance seen in a Charlton shirt this side of the Premier League...
  • Options
    Undoubtedly has potential but fitness is woeful. As much as people said he was trimmer he was still unfit
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Undoubtedly has potential but fitness is woeful. As much as people said he was trimmer he was still unfit

The "blowing out of my arse" emojis at the end of his tweet suggest this still applies. Likes his emojis does Tone.
  • Options
    Nigel Pearson named as Watt's new manager. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options

Nigel Pearson named as Watt's new manager. What could possibly go wrong?

Looks like someone is being called an Ostrich