Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old git

edited February 2017 in General Charlton
Perhaps it is just me being an old git but when I first started playing it was on tarmac and conrete at the back of the flats you gave everything just to try and win even friendlies from then until probably the next thousand games for Lewisham it was the same ethic injuries or not, sometimes the modern game baffles me a bit.

As a right back I was taught get right up the arse of the winger or whoever was there now with the zonal marking its 20 yard from him then when he gets the ball have a go, if someone scores a goal ( Botaka] they play the next game not get dropped or even not come on as a sub wingers (HOLMES ) stayed wide and spread the opposition defenders.

Today I felt so sorry for the young Arsenal ( loanee) tried everything then goes of injured Instead of starting up front saving hm having to run 30/40yards to get into a position to shoot, Watt rewarded for what if you excuse the pun One reasonable shot today and the other three touches gave the ball away so he will be in the team next game, all credit to the young lads Konsa na Aribo for stepping up to the mark, unfortunately it seems that all our other young Lads that do well or score are out on loan when we need them, Rudd son why do you rush your distibrution so much and give the ball away when you have a lot of time to do so.

Oh well the game has changed so much since I used to come down the Valley an push open those big corragated gates at half time,get in for nothing and watch Eddie, Pidgeon scraper Hewie Dennis Daisy. and willy in goal.Come on lads get back to the big push and give it everything.

Comments

• Options
    Great post
  • Options
    Do you remember when all this were fields also?
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    At half time, (on a gloomy cold winters afternoon), the steaming piss rising from the gents open roofed cinder floored urinals.......forever in my memory.....forever in my heart.........anyone got a photo?
  • Options

At half time, (on a gloomy cold winters afternoon), the steaming piss rising from the gents open roofed cinder floored urinals.......forever in my memory.....anyone got a photo?

I can still smell it.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

At half time, (on a gloomy cold winters afternoon), the steaming piss rising from the gents open roofed cinder floored urinals.......forever in my memory.....anyone got a photo?

Mate there was no way anyone would have taken a picture of you in the bogs and lived to tell the tale :wink:
  • Options
    edited February 2017

I can still smell it.
    Mingled with the foul sickly odour of the burning molasses from the Greenwich sugar refinery wharf......oh what happy memories.....oh what unforgettable times!
    You young uns haven't lived!
  • Options

I can still smell it.
    Mingled with the foul smell of the burning molasses from the sugar refinery wharf nearby......oh what memories.....oh what unforgettable times!
    Indeed, and God help anyone dying for a poo.
  • Options

I can still smell it.
    Mingled with the foul smell of the burning molasses from the sugar refinery wharf nearby......oh what happy memories.....oh what unforgettable times!
    Especially night games.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    It was a horrible stench......but by god it was OUR horrible stench and try as they may, no one can ever take that away from us.
  • Options

It was a horrible stench......but by god it was OUR horrible stench and try as they may, no one can ever take that away from us.

To think we used to moan about the Gliksten's then, the current owners make them look like saints.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

To think we used to moan about the Gliksten's then, the current owners make them look like saints.
    You've never written a truer word my friend.
  • Options
    A smell that shall remain with me forever.
    But not as bad as the shite that comes out of meire's mouth whenever she decides to talk bollox
  • Options
    This thread is taking the piss
  • Options
    Another old git here, use to cycle from Brick Lane to the valley,bike in the back garden in Floyd Rd.
    The big open terrace and cheering crowds,loved it all.
    Have not been this season such a misrebale atmosphere and can't relate
    to the players.
  • Options

I can still smell it.
    Mingled with the foul smell of the burning molasses from the sugar refinery wharf nearby......oh what happy memories.....oh what unforgettable times!
    Especially night games.
    Didn't even have lights when I started going, so no night games. Even Saturday games started early. Certainly remember those smells.
  • Options

I can still smell it.
    Mingled with the foul smell of the burning molasses from the sugar refinery wharf nearby......oh what memories.....oh what unforgettable times!
    Indeed, and God help anyone dying for a poo.
    Definitely 'clenched cheeks' on the 96 back home!!!!!
  • Options

At half time, (on a gloomy cold winters afternoon), the steaming piss rising from the gents open roofed cinder floored urinals.......forever in my memory.....forever in my heart.........anyone got a photo?

Prime bunking in location that.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

The mind boggles (as an old git might say).
  • Options
    smurfd said:

Sorry late reply Laptop hdd went down at the weekend, my first game was in 1958 and I have been coming more or less ever since short breaks when the kids needed money more than the club, seen some things Dennis daisy Edwards took a pen and nearly hit the corner flag, I also think I can recollect The great Lenny Glover decking no other than Billy loudmouth Bremner. Kieth Peacock juggling the ball from the halfway line before smashing it in the goal in the warm ups
    Eddie Firmani's doggy paddle run, thinking those the other side of the pitch in the seats must be really posh, yes the stench in the trough in the gents but nice to be standing exchanging banter with Newcastle fans as they stood alongside us, Getting the 54 bus from next to peter pans pool where I lived to the Valley and back for three ha'p'orth of chips if we had enough if not had to put up with Crackling and had the bloody cheek to ask them to put salt n vinegar on. S T holder now with one of my lads go by car have a couple of pints in the Swan first them proper fish n chips across the road and walk down the hill slowly. A simple game now made so complicated by Tactics and clipboards But I still enjoy the whole thing,The sadness and Pride of seeing my lovely young Nephew Sam's name mentioned in the obits in the programme, my
    Lad waits for me to hobble back up the hill too.
    Are you Red Murph's (on here) uncle ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The mind boggles (as an old git might say).
    Ha, I guess I could have worded that a little differently
  • Options

smurfd said:

Sorry late reply Laptop hdd went down at the weekend, my first game was in 1958 and I have been coming more or less ever since short breaks when the kids needed money more than the club, seen some things Dennis daisy Edwards took a pen and nearly hit the corner flag, I also think I can recollect The great Lenny Glover decking no other than Billy loudmouth Bremner. Kieth Peacock juggling the ball from the halfway line before smashing it in the goal in the warm ups
    Eddie Firmani's doggy paddle run, thinking those the other side of the pitch in the seats must be really posh, yes the stench in the trough in the gents but nice to be standing exchanging banter with Newcastle fans as they stood alongside us, Getting the 54 bus from next to peter pans pool where I lived to the Valley and back for three ha'p'orth of chips if we had enough if not had to put up with Crackling and had the bloody cheek to ask them to put salt n vinegar on. S T holder now with one of my lads go by car have a couple of pints in the Swan first them proper fish n chips across the road and walk down the hill slowly. A simple game now made so complicated by Tactics and clipboards But I still enjoy the whole thing,The sadness and Pride of seeing my lovely young Nephew Sam's name mentioned in the obits in the programme, my
    Lad waits for me to hobble back up the hill too.
    Are you Red Murph's (on here) uncle ?
    Yes Sir. I am very proud to have had that Privilege, Sam was a very special and talented lad who is sorely missed by all that knew him.
  • Options
    I saw the early part of it and told my brother Brian who was very touched to hear all the tributes, I will catch up with the rest tonight, our Sam's au revoir was special with over 300 people a measure of the man, my son and I still use the tips on photography and fishing he gave us and my son's band M.T.Pockets hope to do something in Sam's name later in the year when
    we can get it all together he would be proud to know his beloved niece Lilly has just one her first medal. My Brother Brian and his wife Janet are having a well deserved break at the moment in Africa, I know when he comes back he will be coming down the Valley for a match with me as we first did 59 years ago. I would like to say thank you to yourself and the other fans on here for all your kind thoughts.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    To continue with the toilet theme, am I correct in remembering that the solitary women's convenience was a single throne with a ill fitting door located in a small brick shed behind the stand?