Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Is that an advertorial paid for by the club?
  • Options
    Player farm. The new Crewe.
  • Options
    The Standard's a rubbish paper. No awareness at all of the bigger picture.
  • Options
    WSS said:

This is how they did it in 1928:

Athletic News 14 May 1928 (A Manchester based newspaper)
    Situations Vacant Column

CHARLTON ATHLETIC FOOTBALL
    CLUB

Invite applications from
    FIRST CLASS PLAYERS ONLY
    Invitation is also given for trials in August to
    YOUNG JUNIOR PLAYERS
    possessing height, weight, speed and ability

A. LINDON Manager Floyd Road CHARLTON
  • Options
    How do they work out it's the 6th best in the country?
  • Options
    Lookman wasn't really an academy product.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Player farm. The new Crewe.

Sad but true.
  • Options
    So who are the five better ones?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

So who are the five better ones?

I would say probably Southampton for one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

WSS said:

This is how they did it in 1928:

Athletic News 14 May 1928 (A Manchester based newspaper)
    Situations Vacant Column

CHARLTON ATHLETIC FOOTBALL
    CLUB

Invite applications from
    FIRST CLASS PLAYERS ONLY
    Invitation is also given for trials in August to
    YOUNG JUNIOR PLAYERS
    possessing height, weight, speed and ability

A. LINDON Manager Floyd Road CHARLTON
    Even then we knew what was important.
  • Options
    for fuck sake this is the one good thing about our club that we should be proud of, let's leave the negativity off this thread please, because I have found that video inspiring and uplifting and what we as a club are about.
  • Options
    And surely the Academy is being, or soon will be, damaged with the club being in such a lowly position.
  • Options
    Is Chelsea in the Top 6 though?

What about Southampton - how many come through their ranks?
  • Options
    Nug said:

Swisdom said:

Why does EVERYTHING have to be a negative!

Our academy is one shining light of this club so let's enjoy some positive press

Of course it's a positive, the academy has been doing this for a while long before these arseholes took over. The negative is why if we have the 6th best academy in the country are we languishing 13th in League One. Ask yourself that.
    Very very begrudgingly agree.....but understand those who see the academy as something of a skewed threat to our future as things are at present anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chelsea have a very good academy. Just depends what your measuring success on. If it's players breaking into their first team then they're awful. If it's producing pro footballers I suspect you'll find they're far better than us.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Our academy is one shining light of this club so let's enjoy some positive press

Partly because we'll never get to enjoy the fruits of it.

Most kids to come through will instantly be sold the moment they're worth anything to Roland!!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Completely agree, we should be proud of it.

The sadness of it is that Duchatelet sees it more like a battery farm to fatten up and sell than a production line of talent to secure the club's future.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Nug said:

Swisdom said:

Of course it's a positive, the academy has been doing this for a while long before these arseholes took over. The negative is why if we have the 6th best academy in the country are we languishing 13th in League One. Ask yourself that.
    Look at Chelsea. How many players make it through the ranks?
    In the premiership we just wouldn't give these players a chance so take the rough with the smooth and enjoy the one positive of our lowly position.
    Of course I'd rather we were higher up the leagues but we are where we are and a positive is the quality youngsters who do get a chance.

Look at Chelsea. Yes fucking look at them you myopic tit. You will notice they are not in the bottom half of the third division getting beaten at home by teams we have hardly heard of, they are top of the Premier league. I would swop that for us having the worst academy in the universe. Wouldn't you?

Twit.
    They aren't where they are because of their ridiculously good academy they are where they are because of a ridiculously rich owner.

Having the sixth best academy in the country is something we should be fucking proud of. If and when we are to get anywhere again as a club then promoting younger players or selling them for a profit to keep us afloat is absolutely essential to that.

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Nug said:

Swisdom said:

In the premiership we just wouldn't give these players a chance so take the rough with the smooth and enjoy the one positive of our lowly position.
    Of course I'd rather we were higher up the leagues but we are where we are and a positive is the quality youngsters who do get a chance.

Look at Chelsea. Yes fucking look at them you myopic tit. You will notice they are not in the bottom half of the third division getting beaten at home by teams we have hardly heard of, they are top of the Premier league. I would swop that for us having the worst academy in the universe. Wouldn't you?

Twit.
    They aren't where they are because of their ridiculously good academy they are where they are because of a ridiculously rich owner.

Having the sixth best academy in the country is something we should be fucking proud of. If and when we are to get anywhere again as a club then promoting younger players or selling them for a profit to keep us afloat is absolutely essential to that.

We also have a ridiculously rich owner, he just happens not to give a shit about my club. Chelsea have an academy just like ours, good at developing players for other clubs. What is essential is winning first team games, everything else is peripheral, if you can't see that, you are not a Charlton fan, so why not just go follow someone else and leave us alone?
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Nug said:

Swisdom said:

Twit.

We also have a ridiculously rich owner, he just happens not to give a shit about my club. Chelsea have an academy just like ours, good at developing players for other clubs. What is essential is winning first team games, everything else is peripheral, if you can't see that, you are not a Charlton fan, so why not just go follow someone else and leave us alone?
    What the fuck have this article or our academy got to do with winning first team games? Or me not being a real fan you fucking weirdo

• Options
    The academy
    Swisdom said:

Nug said:

Swisdom said:

Bit laughable to compare us with Chelsea to be honest. Surely an academy should either:

a. Produce players that move us in an upward direction on the pitch, or

b. Are so good they are sold for mega money upon which a significant amount can be reinvested into the squad to move us in an upward direction on the pitch.

I ask you, are either of these things happening at Charlton or likely to with Douchebag running the place?
  • Options
    A should be happening - the players are good enough - but the coaching appears to be turnip

B won't happen because it appears to go into his pockets before the playing squad