Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Relegation Battle League 1 2017

Comments

• This season could be our lowest point as a club since the '20's.

What I find so dispiriting is not that we're absolutely dreadful but that we just seem to misfire most of the time.

The stats show we've conceded 35: the same number of goals as Sheffield United, who are top. I don't think we could ask for much more than that. The defence is sound but the strikers just aren't getting the ball in the net. Basically - if we'd scored an extra goal every other game since August.....and we've been creating the chances....we'd be 3rd or 4th and none of us would be saying any of this.

But on such small failings are greater failings based. If we carry on like this either this season or next a spell in League Two could begin.
  • I think we'll be ok due to the fact that there are 6 teams between us and the relegation zone.
    If it were only 2 or 3 that had to make up the points, then I think we'd be right in it.

we play a number of them though between now and the end of the season
  • @LargeAddick quite right of the current teams below us we have to play;

28th feb shrewbury a
    4th mar northampton a
    25th mar mk dons h
    14th apr coventry a
    17th apr gillingham h
    22nd apr chesterfield

i think 2 wins from that lot will be us safe, coventry and chesterfield could be gone by the time we play them when you look at those fixtures would of been ideal for a late storm to the playoffs, always next season.
  • Our last four games are against four of those teams Cov/City, Gills, Chesterfield and Swindon. I hope it is not between us and Swindon for the last place on the final day of the season.
  • Dansk_Red said:

Our last four games are against four of those teams Cov/City, Gills, Chesterfield and Swindon. I hope it is not between us and Swindon for the last place on the final day of the season.

It's gotta be odds on for Ajose to score the winner on the final day against us and send us down to league 2.
  • I'd like to think the combination of the headstart we have on the dross in this division added to the genuine efforts of half a dozen or so in the squad might be just enough to keep head above water. On current form tho we'll end up with about 48 or 49 points and that'll see us propped up by Coventry and Chesterfield at best. The squad is being depleted at an ever growing rate and more suspensions will inevitably follow. The fat scouse gobshite/Congo Chris/whoever won't be selecting an ever more youthful side to give them experience but cos that's all he's got left. There's more chance Charlton's season will deteriorate further than we'll pick up the minimum 2 or 3 wins required. 80/1 looks like free money and those odds won't last long at all.
  • Should just about be safe this season. Next season the poo will hit the fan though. REality will bite when Roland realises you don't get a Gomez or a Lookman every few months, so expect last-minute freebies, loanees and rejects no-one else wants.
  • Dansk_Red said:

Our last four games are against four of those teams Cov/City, Gills, Chesterfield and Swindon. I hope it is not between us and Swindon for the last place on the final day of the season.

It's gotta be odds on for Ajose to score the winner on the final day against us and send us down to league 2.
    As Ajose's only on loan at Swindon you'd think there'd be a clause in the contract that forbids him from playing against us.

Of course, that would depend on someone competent having negotiated the deal ...
  • Would be a ringing endorsement of our regime's skill and foresight if both Slade and Robinson are two of the managers relegated.
  • Dansk_Red said:

As Ajose's only on loan at Swindon you'd think there'd be a clause in the contract that forbids him from playing against us.

Of course, that would depend on someone competent having negotiated the deal ...
    I believe there is.
  • Sponsored links:

• can't see it myself but only a handful of bad results could see us in there. the way we've been playing it's still very much on. more realistic than play offs that's for sure.

No chance of you boys going down. Far too many teams between you and the relegation spots and some real dross down there fighting it out. You're going through a Bad spell but you're not on their level of s***.

• can't see it myself but only a handful of bad results could see us in there. the way we've been playing it's still very much on. more realistic than play offs that's for sure.

No chance of you boys going down. Far too many teams between you and the relegation spots and some real dross down there fighting it out. You're going through a Bad spell but you're not on their level of s***.

Bury are down there and they beat us. We are on a bad run. The thing is with bad runs is that they can continue for a number of games. For example if we lose the next three games it will put a lot of pressure on us. Our confidence is low and could dip further.
  • Not this year but next odds on

A set of fixtures that feature a lot of the teams at the bottom, as well as top sides Sheff Utd, Scunny, and Bradford, doesn't look good.

Combine that with an inability to score goals and the remarkable ability to make bloody awful teams (Oxford and Bury in the last week alone) look like Barça and the omens look poor.

Throw in the small matter of having more red cards then victories under the latest interim manager and the outlook is grim.

If something doesn't change very soon we're going to find ourselves in the fourth division and not even Daisy's PR peeps would be able to spin that as a positive under Roly's ownership.
  • Think if we don't manage it this season we will next 2 players for every position does Karl believe them.hahahaha. We've got 3 players for every position now 1st team u23s and u18s. Can you not see Roland's world Karl
  • This season could be our lowest point as a club since the '20's.

What I find so dispiriting is not that we're absolutely dreadful but that we just seem to misfire most of the time.

The stats show we've conceded 35: the same number of goals as Sheffield United, who are top. I don't think we could ask for much more than that. The defence is sound but the strikers just aren't getting the ball in the net. Basically - if we'd scored an extra goal every other game since August.....and we've been creating the chances....we'd be 3rd or 4th and none of us would be saying any of this.

But on such small failings are greater failings based. If we carry on like this either this season or next a spell in League Two could begin.

I was saying this on Saturday. Based on goals conceded we would be 2nd in the league, but based on goals scored we would be in the bottom 6. We have scored 40 goals all season, which equates to 1 goal every game & then 1 more every 4th game - which is dire.

It is no co-incidence that every time in the recent past that we have had a decent striker who has got us 20 goals in a season (Mendonca in 1997/98, Hunt in 99/00, BWP in 11/12) we have got promoted.

Its not rocket science - to win a game of football you have to score more goals than your opponents & to win any game you need to score at least once. Defending is important, but not as important as scoring goals. Until we got in the habit of getting the ball in the box, along with a few players to put the ball in the net we are going to struggle.
  • cazo said:

Not this year but next odds on

This is also my fear. I think we'll be ok this year, but we've been on a downward spiral since these people took over so we can't rule out another relegation next season.
  • Dansk_Red said:

Fortunately, as a loan player he can't play against us, unless the club has given permission to do so....
  • We'll pick up a bit of form towards the end of the season and finish mid-table. Lots of promises will be made. A lot of people will look on the bright side. We'll get relegated next season.
  • I kind of hope we go down this year. Just because of the owner. It needs something drastic to get the idiot to bugger off. Shame.
  • Sponsored links:

• Forgot to lump on paddy power this morning. 80-1 we were , won't be that anymore.
  • Only 6 points now. We are getting there
  • Went to take the 80-1 on skybet tonight but too late. Wonder what the new odds will be
  • Dansk_Red said:

Fortunately, as a loan player he can't play against us, unless the club has given permission to do so....
    Meire is stupid enough to agree to it ...
  • 8 points from 11 games (50 from 46) is

8 draws, 3 losses
    1 win, 5 draws, 5 losses
    2 win, 2 draws, 7 losses
  • Fucking frightening this we are in such a downward spiral
  • Our goal difference might just save us.
  • Swindon won. Oldham won. waterlogged pitches called of Port vales and Chesterfields matches. so now we are 6 points away from relegation zone.

just said that to my son - when we lose its generally just by the odd goal. I'll start worrying when we start getting hammered

Not if we lose every game