Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crystal Palace: Has the Sam Allardyce effect deserted Palace?

Comments

• Options
    Far as I'm aware the relative "big Sam effect" has only happened at Sunderland.

In terms of similar circumstance of taking over a club halfway through the season when they are lurking at the bottom.

Maybe he he did that Blackburn.

I know he got Bolton marginally safe but he knew those players and had the full year with them.
  • Options
    It also says he took over Notts County with them in 22nd and they finished 24th...
  • Options
    Crooked Sam and Crystal Palace are a match made in heaven.
  • Options
    My best guess is that Allardyce does not command the respect of the players after the England stuff.

I know the regard I have for him has gone down massively. I've zero respect for him now.
  • Options
    I think that the whole England job fiasco has ruined Sam's reputation .. no-one can really take him seriously anymore and most importantly, that includes his players
  • Options
    They'll stay up - be delighted if they don't but can't believe he won't secure a succession of streaky 1-0 wins and scrape to survival
  • Options

My best guess is that Allardyce does not command the respect of the players after the England stuff.

I know the regard I have for him has gone down massively. I've zero respect for him now.

I think that the whole England job fiasco has ruined Sam's reputation .. no-one can really take him seriously anymore and most importantly, that includes his players

100%

I think he should have given it a full year or 2 before coming back. Maybe even that wouldn't be enough.

He should have just waited until the Sunderland vacancy was open again.

Or gone down a league to bring his own team to the promised land.
  • Options
    A real 6 pointer for them this weekend, home to Boro. Win and they go level on points. Lose, and Boro are 6 points clear of Palace

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I try to be objective about it but I guess I can't be, I hate them too much. I just think that if you look at the last 12-18 months of data and compared it to that of the surrounding teams, and even did an analytical breakdown of their new players, they'd probably be joint favourites for the drop along with maybe Sunderland.

That said, I fully expect them to rally for a couple of games and scrape through. There's no reason to believe they'll beat Liverpool, but you can just see it happening. I can't let myself believe in the dream too much yet. But I have great hope.
  • Options
    Far too many negative posts on here.

They be fooked i tell thee
  • Options
    Did I ever tell anyone I fookin hate them jammy diving stripey pajama wearing sparkly turds?
  • Options
    They do always seem to beat Liverpool though.
  • Options
    Not religious but please Mr Footballing God, let the both of them suffer in hell and drop down to the 1st division (old currency). Allardyce got caught as the England Manager dredging the gutter of greed and hypocrisy - RIP Sam and all your football achievements.
  • Options
    The thing with Sam Allardyce is that you have to ask is his heart really in it?

After reaching the pinnacle of his profession with the England job, and then losing it so suddenly, you really have to question his motivation at Palace (outside of money).

Players pick up on that kind of thing very, very quickly.
  • Options
    He needs the right sort of players and he hasn't got them at Palace. To be honest, he has some very good ones there, but he hasn't got the right type for what he wants to do.

I always had a lot of time for him as a manager, but his ill judgement then failure to hold his hands up removed all the respect I had for him.
  • Options
    come on boro, if they dont get something of that i will start believing i can see what will happen

well get relegated

millwall will get to the fa cup final against chelsea, lose 5-0 whilst kicking off ww3

and palace will stay up
  • Options

He needs the right sort of players and he hasn't got them at Palace. To be honest, he has some very good ones there, but he hasn't got the right type for what he wants to do.

I always had a lot of time for him as a manager, but his ill judgement then failure to hold his hands up removed all the respect I had for him.

Who are these "very good players" that I keep hearing about?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2017
    They have 'relatively' easy home fixtures but very tough away.
    Would expect that they would need to win at least 3 games , which considering they have only got 5 all seson is going to be a big ask. Personally i think if they dont beat Boro on Saturday then they are doomed.

If it comes down to last game of season, then they have Man U away.
  • Options

It also says he took over Notts County with them in 22nd and they finished 24th...

I like how as manager of Blackpool he won the first away leg of a playoff game 2-0 only to lose the home game 3-0! In fairness he did get County mathematically promoted in March!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'd have Zaha, Benteke and Cabaye as three. Townsend's not bad either.
  • Options
    Cabaye is a very good player - a Pardew buy from Newcastle - can only imagine he's on a huge salary, but doesnt seem to get in the side regularly with Allardyce ( i wonder why ?!) - so therefore he'll likely be off in summer regardless - would imagine back to France.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

JiMMy 85 said:

I'd have Zaha, Benteke and Cabaye as three. Townsend's not bad either.
    Zaha (4 goals, 5 assists) - He flatters to deceive. Runs fast, delivers a fraction of the time. He's their best player in a world's tallest midget way. A friend said maybe needs a better coach to help him hit the next level.

Benteke (9 goals, 1 assist) - I read something today about how he gets told stuff in training, smiles and nods, but then goes straight back to wandering around and doing no off the ball work. Doesn't suit Sam's style either.

Cabaye (2 goals, no assists) - Even palace fans don't like him. Like the others, he sounds good on paper - he played for PSG! - but when you actually watch him, he offers the team very little in defence or attack. He just moves the ball 10 yards and sulks a lot.

Townsend (1 goal, 2 assists) - hasn't delivered on his promise and doesnt seem to make the first team as much as he should.

These players are misfits. They're not team players, which is why they were dumped by their previous clubs. Benteke can do a bit on his own, but he doesn't bring the team anywhere near enough outside of that.
  • Options
    And that be why they are f###d
  • Options

Cabaye is a very good player - a Pardew buy from Newcastle - can only imagine he's on a huge salary, but doesnt seem to get in the side regularly with Allardyce ( i wonder why ?!) - so therefore he'll likely be off in summer regardless - would imagine back to France.

Didn't Cabaye go back to France (PSG?) but then came back to England with Palace a couple of years later?

Where I've been a bit surprised is that Big Sam hasn't managed to tighten them up at the back more, start keeping clean sheets.
  • Options

I hate articles like that. Those fucking Nigels are bound to win 3 on the bounce now

One
  • Options
    Probably their easiest game of the season left (v a free falling Boro) gone and still in the bottom 3. Their next 2 games will be interesting as they then have a very tough run in, especially if Leicester rediscover their form.