Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bury | Sat 25 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Bury
Saturday 25th February 2017 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Trevor Kettle (Rutland)

Introduction

After three away games on the trot, the Addicks returned to action in South London on Tuesday night as Oxford United made the short visit down the M40… It was a match that won’t live long in the memory as ex-Charlton loanee; Connor McAleny scored the only goal of the game to take all three points back to Oxfordshire. Football now remains at the Valley for a second game on the trot as we look to try and bounce back from what has been an awful month of results for Karl Robinson and his side as we play host to Lee Clark and his rejuvenated Bury side.

The Opposition
Name: Bury | Manager: Lee Clark
Ground: Gigg Lane

Doesn’t seem possible does it… Back in August, Charlton and Bury opened their seasons together on what was a bright sunny day in the Greater Manchester area; Russell Slade and David Flitcroft were the Managers that day which saw a 2-0 victory for the home side yet since that day both Managers have long been relieved of their duties at their respective clubs.

Russell Slade we know all about yet for David Flitcroft the start Bury had made by the end of September must have left him not only with the Manager of the Month award yet also must have left him in dreamland with many shocked to see “little old Bury” sitting comfortably in second place, yet then the wheels well and truly fell off… On a side note I once remember Alan Curbishley commenting on how to deal with a losing streak which was to stop it as soon as possible even if it meant playing with 10 Defenders and David Flitcroft should well have heeded that advice...

From October to December; Bury lost every game (12 in total) and didn’t win until January; Flitcroft was replaced at the start of December by Chris Brass who didn’t fair much better himself (although Chris did stop the rot, picking up two wins)… Brass though was replaced two weeks ago and entering the hot seat is Lee Clark a man very used to League One and a win in his first match against Chesterfield has shown that maybe third time is lucky for Bury and that they might still survive this season.

One thing is guaranteed, past matches against Lee Clark’s teams have proven one thing… they’re not pretty and they’re certainly not entertaining… So if you don’t like it, don’t f**king come!!

Charlton Team News
Despite some comments on CharltonLife this morning, my delay in adding this preview wasn’t because I wanted to wait for the results of todays press conference in which no lessons (apart from how to waffle) were learned… Chris Solly should now be suspended for the next three games yet with Charlton planning an appeal, he will be eligible to play if the ban has yet to be confirmed by the FA.

Of course should Chris be missing then captain duties should revert to Andrew Crofts with Nathan Byrne dropping back into Defence to cover the Right-Back slot… One of the concerns against Oxford on Tuesday was the way our attacking players appeared to be constantly out of position so who’s name is pulled out of the hat to play up front this Saturday is anyone’s guess.

Rudd
Byrne | Bauer | Teixeira | Page
Forster-Caskey | Crofts
Botaka | Holmes | Mavididi
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dasilva | Jackson | Aribo | Watt | Novak | Ahearne-Grant

*Please note... Genuine sarcasm has been used during the making of this Preview

Comments

• Options
    Has Ulvestad gone back to Burnley - he cannot be worse than Forster-Caskey and Crofts on Tuesday.
  • Options
    terrific preview as ever .. the time to say 'it's a must win game' is gone .. last lingering hopes of a play off place disappeared on Tuesday .. what we must avoid now is a 'pissed off spot' where players don't give a hoot and even more fans don't bother turning up even for a fiver

I have no idea what Robinson will do now, play all our most promising youngsters, make even more experiments and changes ? .. what's the point of playing loanees when there is not a lot to play for ? .. send 'em back and save the cash for permanent signings in the summer.
    Preparations for next season, at least playing staff wise should start now .. we have had a BAD season, but the show goes on forever

Bury still need points to stave of relegation .. they will come to the Valley like snarling dogs, it won't be pretty

CAFC 0 v Bury 0

• Options
    This match could be Gone With The Wind, frankly my dear I don't give a damn, tomorrow is another day 1-1
  • Options
    edited February 2017

the time to say 'it's a must win game' is gone

To be honest I left off my prediction section because I try to keep my previews to a single page on Microsoft Word and found myself going into more detail that I intend when writing about Bury.

Basically though its scary, Bury are out of the relegation zone on Goal Difference, if they win they go five points behind us!!

I think we'll survive as we wont lose enough games but the draws will keep us watching over their shoulder, the rest of the season is going to be like a horror movie where some monster is chasing the actors who manage reach safety, get into the house and lock the door just as it reaches then
  • Options
    New manager bounce for Bury. Also the manager that led Huddersfield on that 764 light year unbeaten run........

If we lose I predict meltdown on here come 5pm
  • Options
    And Port Vale who are forth from bottom have a game in hand on us so win that and they are only five points behind.
  • Options
    Only change to that team would be Aribo for Botaka and playing Holmes on the wing.

A defeat would mean we are officially in a relegation battle.

2-0 win in front of a crowd of 12k
  • Options
    Immensely difficult game, and if KR is feeling the heat it could be an inferno by 6.
  • Options
    Wonder if worth sending the owners the below link to show just how far we can fall!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system#The_system
  • Options
    Unless he's had a guarantee (haha) that he won't get sacked I'm sure KR will be desperate to win this one, so doubt there'll much experimentation.
    If he plays Holmes in the middle again, and doesn't start Aribo I'll start a one man protest at kick-off.
    Mavididi can play him anywhere probably. I'd playing as centre forward or in the number 10 role. That's not really an experiment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    6 pointer
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Philips
    Byrne Johnson Konsa Page
    Aribo Dijksteel
    Holmes Mavididi Dasilva
    Hackett-Fairchild

4 - 1 to the Addicks
  • Options

the time to say 'it's a must win game' is gone

To be honest I left off my prediction section because I try to keep my previews to a single page on Microsoft Word and found myself going into more detail that I intend when writing about Bury.

Basically though its scary, Bury are out of the relegation zone on Goal Difference, if they win they go five points behind us!!

I think we'll survive as we wont lose enough games but the draws will keep us watching over their shoulder, the rest of the season is going to be like a horror movie where some monster is chasing the actors who manage reach safety, get into the house and lock the door just as it reaches then

And Port Vale who are forth from bottom have a game in hand on us so win that and they are only five points behind.

LenGlover said:

6 pointer

thanks y'all for shaking me out of my comfortable and misplaced complacency .. looking through all the fixtures until season's end, you could make a case that every game has promotion or relegation implications .. in that case keep all the loanees, play eight at the back and let Holmes and Didididi hit 'em on the break
  • Options

Philips
    Byrne Johnson Konsa Page
    Aribo Dijksteel
    Holmes Mavididi Dasilva
    Hackett-Fairchild

4 - 1 to the Addicks

Now you're talkin'
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    My Dad always pronounced Bury as though it rhymed with hurry. Even at a £5, I don't see too many in a hurry to see this one. If we lose this 6-pointer, I do wonder if KR will be dead and Bury'd.
  • Options
    heading to the game, will more than likely be last home game of the season for me, also reckon it will be the last time i see kr at the valley as think he will make it till end of the season then be relieved.

charlton 1 - bury 1

i think we are terrible but the teams below us cant seem to find wins.
  • Options
    Not going even at £5. 2-1 to Bury ...
  • Options
    Hopefully they can avoid conceding early or throughout. This should be a walk in the park? Unless KR decides once again, to poke another needle in his eye! 2-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With Solly out its an opportunity to go 3 at the back.

Rudd
    Bauer Konsa Teixeira
    Byrne Crofts Forster-Caskey Aribo Holmes
    Magennis Mavididi

Phillips Chicksen Jackson Watt Botaka Novak
  • Options

Rudd
    Bauer Konsa Teixeira
    Magennis Mavididi

Konsa playing the role that Dier has played for Spurs this season. Bringing the ball out of defense etc. Crofts anchoring the midfield and dropping in to cover the Wingers.

Not sure Holmes works as a wing back but it would be hard to leave him out...
  • Options

Rudd
    Bauer Konsa Teixeira
    Magennis Mavididi

If we had a top couple of central midfielders in place of the 'reasonable' Crofts and JFC, then I'd think you were on to a winner.
  • Options

Rudd
    Bauer Konsa Teixeira
    Magennis Mavididi

Konsa playing the role that Dier has played for Spurs this season. Bringing the ball out of defense etc. Crofts anchoring the midfield and dropping in to cover the Wingers.

Not sure Holmes works as a wing back but it would be hard to leave him out...
    Only named 6 subs; add Djiksteel to the bench... Chicksen won't make it so Dasilva it is instead. You're also forgetting Page.

Take out Forster-Caskey (Robinson said some players have played a lot of games recently, I think he maybe the one to drop to the bench), put in Page instead. Holmes moving into the centre behind the front two, but able to drift out wide when Konsa joins in with the midfield, creating an attacking 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

Rudd
    Bauer Konsa Teixeira
    Byrne Crofts Aribo Page
    Holmes
    Mavididi Magennis

Rudd
    Byrne Bauer Teixeira Page
    Konsa Crofts
    Mavididi Aribo Holmes
    Magennis
  • Options
    F5'ing this page in anticipation of @MrLargo 's post
  • Options
    I went to Bury on the first game of the season feeling rather optimistic.
    By the end of the game i felt totally pessimistic.
    And that's how I've been ever since.
    1.I draw in front of a very quiet subdued valley.
    Exciting days ain't they
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I know it's been said a million times over the last few years but have you ever cared less about a game? Yes, partly because our season is virtually over and that season is in League 1. But the club's soul has gone.
    Of course, I want a win and I'll be tuned in to the match thread. But it all feels a bit meh and has done since Powell was sent packing.
  • Options
    Can't be bothered to listen to Karl for 20 minutes.

Is Konsa fit?

Will change my team.
  • Options
    Are people serious about the possibility of us going down? I thought it was a joke. We're dire atm but there's no way we'll be relegated. You can get odds of 150/1 though if you really think it could happen.