Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Champions League Chat

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Juventus v Barcelona

Atletico Madrid v Leicester City
    Borussia Dortmund v AS Monaco
    Bayern Munich v Real Madrid

First leg 11&12 April
    Second leg 18&19 April
  • Leicester have the 2nd leg at home. Could be huge for them as long as they don't get blown away in the first leg.
  • Bayern vs Madrid
    Juventus vs Barcelona

Great ties
  • Arguably the 4 best teams against each other in the quarters.

I'd agree. It's all being set up for Leicester to get to the final, draw 0-0 and win on penalties.
  • Good draw for Leicester, firstly winnable. Althletico are good but aren't on the same level as Barca/ Real/Bayern. still will probably lose but you never know!
  • If Moan Utd finish outside the top 4 in the Premier League but win the Europa League, they qualify for next year's Champions League by virtue of having won the Europa League.

Anyone know if this means we get 5 teams in next years Champions League (top 4 in Premier League plus Moan Utd) or do Utd "nick" a place from the team that finishes 4th in the Premier League?

Also tempted to ask what would happen to qualification for next year's CL if, in addition, Leicester won this year's CL but I suspect we won't need to worry about that! (Although I would love them to win it!)

Man U realistically have the best chance of making the CL via winning this. They're in the Europa League next season already anyway.

Worryingly, the Europa League final is 3 days after the final PL game of the season against Palace...
  • Great ties.

Italian champions v Spanish champions
    Holders v German champs
    2 very attacking sides, Dortmund v Monaco
    And probably the best draw Leicester could've hoped for
  • People are saying that Leicester have got a great tie but isnt Oblak (the Atletico Goalkeeper) on a great number of clean-sheets?

Surely Monaco would have been a better side, i.e. Against Man City, they proved that they cant keep a clean-sheet and are suspect when facing attacking teams whilst surely a strong Defence (something Man City dont have but maybe Leicester do have) will keep them out?
  • I think Dortmund would have been the best for Leicester.
    Of the "weaker" teams I feel Atletico are too smart and sound for Leicester.
    Monaco would have a field day against Huth and Morgan.

Look, there are no easy options, it's the quarter final of the Champions League but we can all agree it could have been a hell of a lot tougher for the English champions.
  • Of the "weaker" teams I feel Atletico are too smart and sound for Leicester.

Thats my thinking too...

Hell they've got a Manager in Diego Simone who won La Liga with Atletico and so became the first team other than Barcelona or Real Madrid to win the League in 10-years... Without the superstars that those two sides have, they were always going to have to be smart with tactics etc. to get the better of those two!!
  • Sponsored links:

• At the end of the day they're going out anyway. They were never going to get past any of the teams left in the competition.
  • edited March 2017
    Barca Juve could be a great tie.

If Juve can grab an away goal I think they could nick it as their home form is unreal. They haven't lost at home since mid 2015.
  • edited March 2017
    Obviously no easy games for Leicester, but that is a tough draw imho. Arguably the worst one for them, maybe other than Barca because of their quality in attack. All the other teams would push onto Leicester and give them some opportunity to play on the counter which suits them best, but Atletico are a bit more canny. I fancied they had half a chance vs Sevilla but I think this will be the end of the road. Even if it is though, what a trip it's been for their fans.
  • Dortmund vs Monaco should be a good game though - they'll both really fancy their chances in that tie and, Monaco especially, are pretty attacking sides. I smell goals in that one.
  • Obviously no easy games for Leicester, but that is a tough draw imho. Arguably the worst one for them, maybe other than Barca because of their quality in attack. All the other teams would push onto Leicester and give them some opportunity to play on the counter which suits them best, but Atletico are a bit more canny. I fancied they had half a chance vs Sevilla but I think this will be the end of the road. Even if it is though, what a trip it's been for their fans.

I think Juventus would have been the worst draw for them. The best balanced team in the competition. Unbelievable defence and very good attack with Dybala. Athletico the second best balanced team. Bayern, Real and Barca are just lethal and would have destroyed them.
  • Barca vs Juve or Monaco vs Dortmund.

The latter for me. Think there'll be more goals.
  • 1-0 Mbappe after 3 mins!
  • 2-0 after 15. Falcao this time.
  • Mbappe is a special talent!
  • 2-1 a few minutes into second half. Reus pulls one back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Semi final draw.

Real v Atletico
    Monaco v Juventus
  • Should be a couple of really good games.

Atletico v Juve final?
  • Real v Monaco Final.

Great draw!
  • Also, does anyone else watch the UCL highlights just to see Dixon agree with everything Keane says because he's scared of him?! Keane is a great pundit though, harsh, but says it how it is.
  • Real vs Juve final hopefully
  • sam3110 said:

Real vs Juve final hopefully

Would be more exciting then Athletico/ Juve. Monaco v Real for goals would be a belter
  • Monaco strike force v Juve defence will be interesting.
    I know they coped with Barca but I don't think Juve can underestimate them
  • Fourth consecutive year for Madrid derby in later stages of Champions League, including two finals. Hoping it's fourth time lucky for Atletico!
  • Can't understand anyone who ever wants Real Madrid to win any game at all
  • Leuth said:

Can't understand anyone who ever wants Real Madrid to win any game at all

Great Grandad worked for them and used to go to all their games, so got a tie to them.

Plus had a complete fuck of a manager when I was younger who was a huge Atleti fan, so can't stand then by association