Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Billy Cooper (Barmy army trumpeter)

Happily I missed the match last night, as I was watching The Divine Comedy. As a bonus, Billy Cooper came on stage for a few songs

Looking at his Twitter page, it seems that he's also a Charlton fan which I hadn't realised, this tweet is from a year ago.

No international sport for me today, bottom of the table clash at the Valley. #WeWantOurCharltonBack pic.twitter.com/IE9E7FiYZP

— Billy Cooper (@billbarmytrump) February 6, 2016

Comments

• Options
    Sorry but who or what is the 'Barmy Army'?
  • Options
    Didn't know that. Local boy though, was at school at Colfe's. From his Twitter feed, he recently seems to have left his famous trumpet on a train to Orpington (but fortunately got it back).
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I am guessing the English Cricket fans that follow them around the world?
  • Options

Greenie said:

Oh ok I was thinking one of the English Football band.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barmy_Army

The "passionate" England cricket fans, the ones who follow England around the world often in organised groups, who do the singing. Billy is sometimes there, leading them with his trumpet
  • Options
    B B C .. barmy billy cooper .. get blowing dahn the Valley me ol cocker cooper .. the troops need a good rallying call, a trumpet carillion ... that's both the squaddies on and off the turf
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Sat behind him at a test at Old Trafford a few years ago and got him to play home and away! I had no idea he was a red, will ask him about it in Barbados, or Australia. #CricketIsBetterThanFootball
  • Options

B B C .. barmy billy cooper .. get blowing dahn the Valley me ol cocker cooper .. the troops need a good rallying call, a trumpet carillion ... that's both the squaddies on and off the turf

Instead we have Karl Robinson blowing his own trumpet :smile:
    Someone's got to.............sorry that might be taking us "off topic".
  • Options

Greenie said:

The "passionate" England cricket fans, the ones who follow England around the world often in organised groups, who do the singing. Billy is sometimes there, leading them with his trumpet
    Wonder if their 'Jimmy Savile' guy has changed his nickname yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can he do Kind Of Blue?
  • Options
    I know Bill and he is and has always been an Addick.
  • Options
    Didnt know that !
  • Options
    edited February 2017

No 1 - if you know Billy, do you know if he's coming to Belgium ? - or is it possible to get in touch and persuade him to come - he would be brilliant at the head of the march.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Oh ok I was thinking one of the English Football band.
    They sound as equally annoying mate
  • Options

No 1 - if you know Billy, do you know if he's coming to Belgium ? - or is it possible to get in touch and persuade him to come - he would be brilliant at the head of the march.
    No 1 - any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

I can try and get in touch tomorrow via Email.
    He is not hard core in his support as he has plenty of other stuff going on, so I doubt he has any plans at present to attend.
    Late in the day but I will see.
  • Options

He is not hard core in his support as he has plenty of other stuff going on, so I doubt he has any plans at present to attend.
    I'm sure that we can try to bend his arm- would be brilliant for him to come.
  • Options
    Lots of free beer for the trumpeter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lots of free beer for the trumpeter.

That might just work.......that is how he originally became involved with the Barmy Army............I'll try and use similar bribery
  • Options
    Heavily subsidised travel and acommodation may also be available in some circumstances.

Like these.
  • Options
    Bound to be a seat available on a coach if he's interested.
  • Options
    I may have a spare room for the Saturday nightZ
  • Options
    Overbooking.com
  • Options

I'm sure that we can try to bend his arm- would be brilliant for him to come.
    @The_President I'll chat cricket with him but let's promise not to go all franchise debate on him or we will put him off...
  • Options

Greenie said:

Funny enough, yes.

Surely Billy will be in Antigua for the Belgium march?
  • Options

Greenie said:

Funny enough, yes.

Surely Billy will be in Antigua for the Belgium march?
    better pack my shorts then if we are marching in Antigua
  • Options
    Billy tweeted me this afternoon to say that he couldnt make next weekend but he sends his best wishes.....
    "Sadly, i cant join you, good luck though, the sooner that lot bugger off the better"