Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Solly Red Card

Having seen it. Red is harsh. He slides along the ground and takes the ball and slightly brushes the player. To be fair to the ref his view is blocked by the Oxford player. Camera angle from east stand is better. Why a video ref could help. Karl right to have a go at appealing as it has a chance. The only reason why fans say it's a red is because they are bitter and twisted over a bad result and bad performance. If we had won with a good result and good performance these same people would have had a different opinion. Just cheap scapegoating. Even worse to a player who by and large has been fantastic for us.

Comments

• Options
    I agree with Robinson on the fact that Solly should have been given a Free-Kick as he was clearly tugged back... that incident then left him off balance going into the challenge which made it look like he wasnt in control of the tackle.

Had that tug back not happened then yes it is a Red Card as it was wild from Chris.
  • Options
    He got nowhere near the ball with his right leg and took the guy out with his left. It was reckless and stupid and he should have gone down when pulled back
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Having seen it. Red is harsh. He slides along the ground and takes the ball and slightly brushes the player. To be fair to the ref his view is blocked by the Oxford player. Camera angle from east stand is better. Why a video ref could help. Karl right to have a go at appealing as it has a chance. The only reason why fans say it's a red is because they are bitter and twisted over a bad result and bad performance. If we had won with a good result and good performance these same people would have had a different opinion. Just cheap scapegoating. Even worse to a player who by and large has been fantastic for us.

Fair enough you don't think it was a red, I wasn't sure it was either at first sight from the North Upper, but what a load of nonsense about "bitter and twisted over a bad result".

You went off on one about the Byrne sending off too. Just face it, some times Charlton red card are valid, sometimes they're not.
  • Options
    I can see why he was red carded - it was clumsy. I'm sure Chris can see that.
  • Options
    It was a clear red card, unfortunately.
  • Options

Sorry but disagree on all counts. Understand where your coming from, but Solly (who I admire hugely and is just about the last vestige of "our Charlton" that we have left) has been increasingly petulant as the season goes on and has IMHO been a red card waiting to happen. He's presumably as pissed off as the rest of us, but he's skipper and needs to act like it. From my vantage point 20 yards away square on in the east stand it was a red all day long on first viewing (and that's all the ref has). Yes Chris was fouled but he lunged recklessly and them's the rules. I'd have preferred it to be someone else but it wasn't. I've not seen a video and will be happy to admit I'm wrong when and if I do, but as for scapegoating, there's plenty on my list before Solly mate.
  • Options

Sorry but disagree on all counts. Understand where your coming from, but Solly (who I admire hugely and is just about the last vestige of "our Charlton" that we have left) has been increasingly petulant as the season goes on and has IMHO been a red card waiting to happen. He's presumably as pissed off as the rest of us, but he's skipper and needs to act like it. From my vantage point 20 yards away square on in the east stand it was a red all day long on first viewing (and that's all the ref has). Yes Chris was fouled but he lunged recklessly and them's the rules. I'd have preferred it to be someone else but it wasn't. I've not seen a video and will be happy to admit I'm wrong when and if I do, but as for scapegoating, there's plenty on my list before Solly mate.
    Video is here mate... http://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-oxford-utd/359047
  • Options
    It was a lunge out of frustration, and that's the part I think you can gripe about as a fan on this occasion because he ran the risk of a red unnecessarily. Especially as whilst we were rubbish, I felt like until the red card we were well on top in the second half.

Having not seen the replay, I think it was a yellow. I don't think he went in particularly hard, it was for sure a wreckless challenge.
  • Options
    God that league table is depressing reading
  • Options

Would suggest that you stand on your head when looking at the table but even that doesnt make it look that much better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haven't seen it again but to me it looked like the frustration for Solly had been building up and boiled over lunging in two footed. He had been moaning at the referee building up to that and gave him an easy reason to send him off.
  • Options
    I've seen the replay a few times and it seems to me that Solly tried to go in one-footed and somehow caught the player with his left leg as he slid into the tackle. It was clumsy at worst, but I have no idea how it was a red.
  • Options
    There was certainly an element of frustration in it. After the subs Charlton's formation was all over the shop and completely lopsided. Solly had no wide player in front of him and he had no support before he lost the ball leading up to the foul.

The more I see of how the team is set up by Robinson, the more I come to think he is a chancer who has blagged his way this far in football.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

There was certainly an element of frustration in it. After the subs Charlton's formation was all over the shop and completely lopsided. Solly had no wide player in front of him and he had no support before he lost the ball leading up to the foul.

The more I see of how the team is set up by Robinson, the more I come to think he is a chancer who has blagged his way this far in football.

Definitely... We're struggling to score goals so it seems as though Robinson played as many attacking players as reasonably possible last night without any wide picture plan to try and address that issue.
  • Options
    Chris Solly does tend to see the red mist when he is on the wrong end of a ref's decision.He lost it at Millwall a couple of seasons ago,too ---he needs to calm it down a bit from that point of view.He knows the dangers of any lunging challenge and is experienced enough to be able to understand,surely.
    By the way,why are we collecting a load of red cards under Robinson---does he view them in the same way as parking tickets,an inconvenience of everyday life?
  • Options

By the way,why are we collecting a load of red cards under Robinson

Going for another record... Red Cards since 2000/01 are as follows (2010/11 was the worst with 8-reds)

2016/17 (Currently) - 6 | 2015-16 - 6 | 2014/15 - 2 | 2013/14 - 3
    2012/13 - 2 | 2011/12 - 5 | 2010/11 - 8 | 2009/10 - 3
    2008/09 - 3 | 2007/08 - 6 | 2006/07 - 4 | 2005/06 - 3
    2004/05 - 3 | 2003/04 - 3 | 2002/03 - 2 | 2001/02 - 3 | 2000/01 - 3
  • Options
    Both my son & I said red card the minute it happened, and we were sitting in the north lower. It looked reckless, late and high in real time.

Good luck with the appeal Karl

And no, I am not bitter because of the result
  • Options

Video is here mate... http://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-oxford-utd/359047
    Ta. I've watched it twice now. I still think it's a straight red. Or to be strictly accurate, I can see why the ref thinks it is. He lunged at the bloke with the ball off to the side. The fact that he had reason to be frustrated is neither here nor there for me. It's as much about the perception of intent as about the actual contact.
  • Options
    I can see Solly getting an extra game for a frivolous appeal, I wouldn't bother appealing it.
  • Options
    Rather worryingly is the amount of yellow and red cards we have picked up while under KR's stewardship. This will bite us later on the season, especially with the weak squad that we have at our disposal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know we won at Bolton but on the whole you need 11 players on the pitch to win matches.
  • Options
    Solly has had a decent season in defence, a poor one in attack. His absence should give a player the chance to excel in what could well prove to be his best position in the long term .. talking about Konsa ..
  • Options
    As soon as he made the tackle I said to the bloke sitting next to me (well shouted actually as he was 20 seats away) that he was going off for that. Haven't seen it again but my initial reaction was red. Appeal will fail and he'll get done for it being reckless.
  • Options

Why do you always seem to be having a pop at other fans on here? Especially after games? Some of your posts lately have been ridiculous and downright offsenive from clicking on your profile. What is your problem? I'm genuinely intrigued as to why you keep going off on one at the rest of us, claiming that everyone is fickle all the time.

• Options
    edited February 2017

It's what's known as progress...... apparently.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Ta. I've watched it twice now. I still think it's a straight red. Or to be strictly accurate, I can see why the ref thinks it is. He lunged at the bloke with the ball off to the side. The fact that he had reason to be frustrated is neither here nor there for me. It's as much about the perception of intent as about the actual contact.
    Generally agree with you except about the 'intent' line. That's deliberately omitted from the rule book because you can't determine a player's intent.

You can gauge whether it was violent conduct, excessive force, preventing a goalscoring opportunity etc.

This one has to be deemed excessive force, and going in high and late certainly ticks some of the boxes. Intent may have been to rough the guy up out of frustration, but can't be the reason he's sent off.
  • Options
    From watching the foul just the once, which is all the ref gets to see, it sure looked like a reckless tackle and I can understand the ref giving a red.
  • Options
    I can see why you'd appeal but I thought at the time it was a stone wall red and the replay certainly isn't enough for me to change my mind. I wouldn't if I were them.
  • Options
    Haven't seen it back and don't really want to as we were that bad. I thought it was a clear red from the west upper. I also don't agree with clapping him off. He made a reckless tackle which basically limited our chance of getting back into the game. As a captain, he let himself down.